Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:41:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Synaptic Polluting Thread and the Ignore Button  (Read 3173 times)
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:50:40 AM

If forum.bitcoin.org intends to operate as a forum of discussions related to bitcoin, even the seemingly pointless and abuse laden thoughts of those strictly opposed to the bitcoin phenomenon have their place and purpose, if nothing more than a mark in history to remind us of how many people didn't realize the potential before it took over the world.

OP seems to have a point but doesn't seem to be getting to it very well. We just need an ignore user function. Everyone seems to be in agreement on that one, myself included. Imagine it-- if you could ignore anyone you wanted, you wouldn't need to be reading this line right now!  Cheesy

Firstly, people CHOSE to come to my threads and spout their stupid bullshit to which I promptly auger into the fucking pavement.  So if they're so goddamn offended, they can just chose NOT to spot off their inane bullshit.  Because for everyone that poses well thought out responses and not some stupid ad hominem bullshit, I offer polite responses in kind.

As for my contributions to kibas thread, she ASKED for criticism. And criticism is what she got.

So go ahead, I hope you dumbasses get your ignore button, because then I won't have to put up with you visiting my threads anymore.  And you can continue to go on being the ignorant, ignorant, ignoramus anuses that you prefer to be.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 08:12:39 AM

If forum.bitcoin.org intends to operate as a forum of discussions related to bitcoin, even the seemingly pointless and abuse laden thoughts of those strictly opposed to the bitcoin phenomenon have their place and purpose, if nothing more than a mark in history to remind us of how many people didn't realize the potential before it took over the world.

OP seems to have a point but doesn't seem to be getting to it very well. We just need an ignore user function. Everyone seems to be in agreement on that one, myself included. Imagine it-- if you could ignore anyone you wanted, you wouldn't need to be reading this line right now!  Cheesy

Firstly, people CHOSE to come to my threads and spout their stupid bullshit to which I promptly auger into the fucking pavement.  So if they're so goddamn offended, they can just chose NOT to spot off their inane bullshit.  Because for everyone that poses well thought out responses and not some stupid ad hominem bullshit, I offer polite responses in kind.

As for my contributions to kibas thread, she ASKED for criticism. And criticism is what she got.

So go ahead, I hope you dumbasses get your ignore button, because then I won't have to put up with you visiting my threads anymore.  And you can continue to go on being the ignorant, ignorant, ignoramus anuses that you prefer to be.

You're obviously not talking to me since I was in partial agreement with you, or otherwise your reading comprehension is severely questionable  Huh

As for an argument of rights vs. intentions, considering the site itself is provided free of charge using funds not provided through legal grants/provisions, I'd say it exists for a specific purpose, one that posts in general should at least mildly contribute to.

If I start a thread telling a joke about babies in a blender, I doubt it contributes to the community. If you post a thread (or even a comment in an existing thread) that doesn't actually contribute to the discussion, provide constructive criticism or is basically just another example of the already rampit hateful and aggressive atmosphere on this forum, I'd say you have no point in being here too.

In your total defense, that is probably true for MOST users, including myself at one point or another. Let's just keep things civilized and remember that although the internets != real life, almost everyone on it is in fact a real person (except theymos, he's an artificial intelligence module designed by google for experiments with automated forum administration  Grin).

You agreed "with" me insofar as any community oriented activity needs room for critical discourse, but then you agree people should have an "ignorance button" to soothe their fragile psyches...
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:33:10 PM

I at one time held a financial stake in bitcoins, became involved, saw many other becoming involved, saw that it was a worthless racket leading to ruin, sold off my stake, and now enjoy possibly saving others the sorrow of losing out on this losers market.
So basically you thought bitcoin was an investment, got burned, and now fail to see the merit of the entire project.

Right, you know, in that many people could have told you from the first day that what you've been doing is extremely dangerous speculation... Just deal with it already. See it as learning money, and move on.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:37:15 PM

I at one time held a financial stake in bitcoins, became involved, saw many other becoming involved, saw that it was a worthless racket leading to ruin, sold off my stake, and now enjoy possibly saving others the sorrow of losing out on this losers market.
So basically you thought bitcoin was an investment, got burned, and now fail to see the merit of the entire project.

Right, you know, in that many people could have told you from the first day that what you've been doing is extremely dangerous speculation... Just deal with it already. See it as learning money, and move on.

Great assumption.

It's false.

Why do you idiots always assume that someone must have lost out big to hate bitcoin?  Bitcoin is flawed enough to hate all it's own without ever having spend a dime...
Tasty Champa

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:49:04 PM

Zip IT!
wumpus

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:50:58 PM

Oh right, now I'm an idiot  Grin

I know you didn't ask for advice, but you might want to find a more useful use for your time. No matter how much time you spend here insulting people, things won't change. Typing insults on an internet forum has zero impact on the world. The only one you're making a fool of is yourself.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:53:31 PM

I know you didn't ask for advice, but you might want to find a more useful use for your time. No matter how much time you spend here insulting people, things won't change. Typing insults on an internet forum has zero impact on the world. The only one you're making a fool of is yourself.

That's perfectly fine for me. I like being a fool.  I'm a merry flipping fool.

Fools do not forgive.

Fools do not forget.

Expect us.
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:37:12 PM

That's perfectly fine for me. I like being a fool.  I'm a merry flipping fool.

Fools do not forgive.

Fools do not forget.

Expect us.

Trolololol

lol
wumpus

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:22:17 PM

Yes, hide your coins, hide your women, he's getting spooky Grin

Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 06:22:37 PM

You know, the convoluted theory that came to my mind when I read that he had a financial stake was the opposite of what you thought. i.e. He might still be holding on to a significant stake in Bitcoin and/or made a fair buck during the spike and now trying to drive prices down and newcomers away so that he can hoard more at lower prices before pumping it up to dump Cheesy
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 06:28:25 PM

You know, the convoluted theory that came to my mind when I read that he had a financial stake was the opposite of what you thought. i.e. He might still be holding on to a significant stake in Bitcoin and/or made a fair buck during the spike and now trying to drive prices down and newcomers away so that he can hoard more at lower prices before pumping it up to dump Cheesy

That's what I thought at first too, but that would mean he thinks his impact is substantial enough to matter, which with all due respect, I doubt unless he's running the exchanges himself or is Satoshi, that he could ever make so much as a splash economically.

Hush child.

You're dealing with forces beyond your comprehension.
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 06:45:36 PM

Hush child.

With all due respect, we're probably the same physical age. Mental age, maybe a bit younger (wouldn't have it any other way), but maturity, obviously older.

You're dealing with forces beyond your comprehension.

That's most often the case at first with everything and everyone. Comprehension changes through education though, so since I'm here to learn I think I'll keep participating in these vibrant and colorful mildly homo-erotic discussions of yours.

Buddy, all I'm sayin  is,

Hold on to your butts.
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 08:28:09 PM

If I start a thread telling a joke about babies in a blender, I doubt it contributes to the community. If you post a thread (or even a comment in an existing thread) that doesn't actually contribute to the discussion, provide constructive criticism or is basically just another example of the already rampit hateful and aggressive atmosphere on this forum, I'd say you have no point in being here too.

You don't want any comments that don't contribute to the discussion or provide constructive criticism? Let me guess you're not a strong supporter of the arts in your school?

Community isn't only about droll conversations of "how do I use bitcoin" and "will the price go up" and "how can we make it grow". Community means people that don't share one's opinions, people that tell jokes or produce art that one may not enjoy, people that disagree just because they're disagreeable. A person can stay in one's ivory tower and ignore the outside world but then its the shut-in that's no longer a part of the community.

Personally I find Synaptic's posts to this point mostly hilarious. He's a part of the community. Ignore him when you see his name if you can't take it. If at this point you've decided you don't like him yet continue to read his posts, whose fault is that? Why do we need a nanny button to ignore someone -- can we all just not do this on our own?

Reminds me of people that want to censor Rock because the lyrics are offensive, or don't want certain channels on TV because they feel it degrades society. Don't listen to songs that offend you, turn the fucking TV channel if you don't like it, and ignore Synaptic on your own if you can't take a fucking joke. What are you all, 10 years old?

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 03:50:51 PM

Please click the 'Report to Moderator' button at the lower right of any posts you feel are inappropriate.

Is attempting to troll somebody and not contributing useful information ground for banning?

Note: I know that troll is overused or abused..

Even so, I would prefer the ability to ignore somebody rather than banning someone outright.

I think the trolls have overrun this forum to the point of making it nearly unusable. Cleaning it up would require much more heavy handed moderation, and if that happens, you will be sure to see lots of cries of "CENSORSHIP!!!!!!111111oneone" from the same trolls. Even that would be an improvement, I think.

That said, the ignore user mod would be a nice thing to have.

+1

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
spruce

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:55:16 PM

Why do we need a nanny button to ignore someone -- can we all just not do this on our own?

Some people find it easier with an Ignore button. I do. If there was an Ignore button here, you wouldn't be compelled to use it. What's wrong with having the option?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Some people find it easier with an Ignore button. I do. If there was an Ignore button here, you wouldn't be compelled to use it. What's wrong with having the option?

Yes, it took a conscious effort not to reply to Synaptic.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 10:47:27 PM

Yes, it took a conscious effort not to reply to Synaptic.

An ignore button mightn't entirely solve that problem as the ignore option usually still shows any quotes of the ignored poster.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: