Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:51:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If USB Block Erupters are not worth the trouble, what is?  (Read 7660 times)
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:15:21 PM

You will not be able to plug Bitfury-based USB miners into your PC until the drivers are written for them.

EFA.   Roll Eyes
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:44:31 PM

Another boost in sales for the rPi!
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4522
Merit: 1844

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:48:39 PM

I don't understand why you NEED a Pi for the BitFurys?  That doesn't really make any sense.  Yes, the BitFury Blades, but the USB ones?  I call BS.

There are no drivers for standard computers as i know. CGminer is not able to use them nor any other miner atm.
Bitfury uses their own program called chainminer (?) for mining with them
Yes, and chainminer is currently only on the RPi.
One day that may change, but not yet.

So they can work on normal computers, and don't need a RPi?  They just need some drivers written.  Glad we sorted that one out then.  Roll Eyes

Yes, but at the moment "you NEED a Pi for the BitFurys", so it's not BS.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:07:40 PM

Why no just buy the Bitcoins instead of messing about mining them?

HellDiverUK

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:12:07 PM

I don't understand why you NEED a Pi for the BitFurys?  That doesn't really make any sense.  Yes, the BitFury Blades, but the USB ones?  I call BS.

There are no drivers for standard computers as i know. CGminer is not able to use them nor any other miner atm.

So they can work on normal computers, and don't need a RPi?  They just need some drivers written.  Glad we sorted that one out then.  Roll Eyes

Technically, at the moment you don't need anything at all, because they're not for sale...

You do know I'm not talking about the blades?  You do know I am talking about the Block Erupter style BitFury USB sticks?  Huh
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:29:28 PM

Technically, at the moment you don't need anything at all, because they're not for sale...

You do know I'm not talking about the blades?  You do know I am talking about the Block Erupter style BitFury USB sticks?  Huh
... and yet ... still the only drivers for both of them are on the RPi ... and yes they do exist.

Someone does have one ............

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
HellDiverUK

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:51:56 PM

Oh man?  You said "You need a RPi to run the BitFury USB stick".   To me that's final.  As in, it'll NEVER work on PC.  Well, yes, it will work on a PC once drivers are written.

You write as if it's final.  It's not.  It's just a matter of time.
fumble

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 04:05:43 PM

i got my erupters connected to my pi and its running just fine.  Smiley i guess i am confused as to what you are saying.??

You will never get back your roi unless you bought them super cheap

roi roi ROI roi thats all ya talk about... its a hobby not a freaking business.

and besides if you must know i have made roi already about daily to every other day.. paid cash for it. not bitcoin.

I think the "hobby" boat sailed away about a year ago.  Its now a monsterous runaway freight train fueled by greed and millions of dollars.
If i wanted to mine and lose money for "hobby" purposes, I would just CPU/GPU mine.
OldGeek (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Blitz:The price affects the perception of the news

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 05:43:23 PM

Only you can decide where on that spectrum you wish, if at all, to jump in.

I've already jumped in.  My mini rig will be delivered tomorrow or the next day.  I'll have 6 BE's ready to hash by Friday morning.  I consider that this route provides the least exposure and will let me assess if I want to take another, and larger, step.

My best results with any hobby, or business venture, is to start small and only expand if it appears worthwhile.  'Worth' is relative, of course.  My goal with this thread was to pick your collective minds.

/Frank

I've never seen "mini rig" and "lease exposure" in the same sentence.  How much money do you have where tens of thousands of dollars is considered minimal risk?  Lol.  Did you mean Jalapeño?

LOL.  Sorry 'mini rig' was my term (used out of ignorance) to describe six USB Block Erupters plugged into a D Link.  Total cost, including shipping and taxes, $216.00 US*.  To me that is 'least exposure' for a rig that will be fun.

I don't believe that I could take up the game of golf, or most other hobbies, for that small of an investment.

* Hey don't laugh.  US$ are backed by China.  No worries!

/Frank

Be Safe   Be Free   Be Informed    Be Alert
Support safety, freedom, information, and awareness.  All four accept donations of Bitcoin.
OldGeek (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Blitz:The price affects the perception of the news

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:04:20 PM

Getting back to the statement by ckolivas :  “Highest risk + Highest potential gain<---> Lowest risk + Guaranteed loss”

I used the calculator at http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ to see what the various hardware would produce.  I was surprised to note that even the fastest, and most expensive, unit advertised (the Virtual Mining Platinum Unit, 6 module + 6 cases) at 24,576 GHs will only be running at a profit for 8 months.  After that, the electricity costs take all of the efforts.  Note:  I don’t have a clue how accurate the calculator is, YMMV.  If the calculator is close to accurate, the days of mining for a profit are almost over. 

I keep reading about all of the PHs coming onboard and have to wonder how long it will be before I see used 500 GHs units for sale cheap.

/Frank   

Be Safe   Be Free   Be Informed    Be Alert
Support safety, freedom, information, and awareness.  All four accept donations of Bitcoin.
tempestb

Activity: 729
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 07:12:51 PM

Here is the thing about Bitcoin mining.  You will more than likely mine at a loss.  The secret is if you believe in Bitcoin's future, that the coins you earn today will be worth double, triple, or more.  What you mine at a loss today may make you rich in the future.  As many people have said before, however, that if you believe that, it's better to buy Bitcoins straight up than mine for them.  Many factors at play.  Very high risk gamble.  If it was that easy, everyone would do it.

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
kendog77

Activity: 742

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 08:00:09 PM

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Based on the current rate of difficulty increase and cost of mining hardware, most folks will do better simply buying Bitcoin directly and holding it.

Mining is a fun hobby, but it's hard to find an ASIC hardware purchase right now that will ever ROI.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:16:13 PM

Oh man?  You said "You need a RPi to run the BitFury USB stick".   To me that's final.  As in, it'll NEVER work on PC.  Well, yes, it will work on a PC once drivers are written.

A matter of time.... unless you write one Tongue

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 11:57:16 PM

You will not be able to plug Bitfury-based USB miners into your PC until the drivers are written for them.

EFA.   Roll Eyes

Oooh that must have felt good.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:59:07 AM

So ... below is my first post I did here in this thread ... and is included in EVERY post I have posted in this thread ...

Quote from: HellDiverUK
I called BS and I was wrong, now how can I pretend I'm right, coz I can't ever be wrong on the nets
EFA

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:49:29 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2013, 06:08:33 AM by Bicknellski

EFA.   Roll Eyes

Oooh that must have felt good.

Want a RedFury https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=292433.0 to write the firmware / drivers?

PM me.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:42:14 PM

This has been one confusing thread to read due to lack of clear concise terminology. Can we not call USB sticks using Bitfury chips anything Bitfury. Bitfury doesn't make or sell them. Can we only call ASICminer Block Erupters by any of those words? Can we only call ASICminer Blades, Blades? Can we only call the Starter Kits and Cards that Bitfury makes Bitfury.

I think you get my drift. I'm not certain that the people arguing in this thread are talking about the same hardware. Huh
HellDiverUK

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:48:25 AM

I think you get my drift. I'm not certain that the people arguing in this thread are talking about the same hardware. Huh

Some of in this thread have a grasp of the English language.  Others seem to use English as a second or third language after C++ and Gibberish.

wlwesq

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:35:33 AM

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Based on the current rate of difficulty increase and cost of mining hardware, most folks will do better simply buying Bitcoin directly and holding it.

Mining is a fun hobby, but it's hard to find an ASIC hardware purchase right now that will ever ROI.

Where does the global need to mine Bitcoins come into the analysis? By need, I mean the idea that all Bitcoins should be mined so they are in circulation, so to speak. If everyone gives up mining now, does that mean Bitcoin "failed"? Or does it mean the value of Bitcoins goes up because of limited supply?

Just a few of the questions that bother us so...
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 12:22:27 PM

Others seem to use English as a second or third language after C++ and Gibberish.

Code:
while (!ROI())
{
    buy_usb_hardware();
    mine();
}

retire_to_tropical_island(); <--- Warning! Unreachable code detected!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: