Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:53:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to scrape a sender addy?  (Read 1221 times)
coingenuity (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 02:38:35 AM

As far as I can tell, there's no CLI call that enables the client to get the sender's address when the CLI is the receiving account/address. I might be wrong, since the wiki hasn't been updated since 0.3.20.2, but there's no call that I can find that allows you to do it. I wrote a simple workaround, but it would be nice if there was an easy command that I've glazed over somewhere.

Any clues?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:20:28 AM

As far as I can tell, there's no CLI call that enables the client to get the sender's address when the CLI is the receiving account/address. I might be wrong, since the wiki hasn't been updated since 0.3.20.2, but there's no call that I can find that allows you to do it. I wrote a simple workaround, but it would be nice if there was an easy command that I've glazed over somewhere.

Any clues?

The transaction input addresses are available, but they may not correspond to the actual entity who ordered the bitcoins sent to you. For instance, if you send bitcoins to your wallet from an exchange or online wallet service like CampBX or Instawallet, then the sending addresses belong to the web service, not you, and are semantically useless for determining the actual person who sent the bitcoins.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
coingenuity (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 06:06:34 AM

How do you output an input address from within bitcoind?

error

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 06:11:50 AM

You would have to patch bitcoind to get that information, or use an external tool like bitcointools.

wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 10:41:20 AM

There is not really such a thing as 'input address' in Bitcoin. A transaction can have zero, one or multiple inputs. Those inputs can be addresses that received coins, but don't have to be. For example, generation transactions have no inputs at all. Transactions can spend multiple inputs when the amount to send is higher than the size of one of the inputs. And for more advanced scripts/contracts it might also work differently. This is why it is not shown in the UI.

If you want more detailed information about the inputs used you can enable debug mode (-debug) then doubleclick on a transaction...

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
coingenuity (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 11:34:53 AM

You would have to patch bitcoind to get that information, or use an external tool like bitcointools.

Ah, beautiful. Thanks for the links.

error

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:21:05 PM

Be careful when using that information. It may or may not be meaningful in whatever application you have envisioned (which you didn't disclose).

coingenuity (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 09:12:55 AM

Be careful when using that information. It may or may not be meaningful in whatever application you have envisioned (which you didn't disclose).

I was mostly curious. I've already got a good solution, I just wondered if there was a better one. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: