Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:10:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Blockchain Could Be Purgatory  (Read 174 times)
QlooQl (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 122

Hello World!

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:35:10 AM

I woke up this morning thinking about a horrible dystopian future where the government uses blockchain technology to track every transaction a person makes - publicly - forever.

It would be simple for a government to ban anything that isn't their preferred currency (they already do this with fiat).

I have been a strong supporter of cryptocurrency projects, especially DAO projects, that value equality, freedom and decentralization. The blockchain was supposed to free us from the banks, from government surveillance. But what if it ends up becoming a permanent purgatory? A history of everything you've done that never dies. The history will be sitting there for future generations to analyze and judge.

I am scared.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Coin BTC

Activity: 721
Merit: 19

Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:51:13 AM

What you fear is not something to be afraid of. You do not have to worry about the flow of your funds, as long as you do not commit a crime, and do not corrupt the state money.

CLAIM AIRDROP  Airdrop
CLAIM AIRDROP  Airdrop
CLAIM AIRDROP  Airdrop
Murloc

Merit: 103

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:05:56 AM

I woke up this morning thinking about a horrible dystopian future where the government uses blockchain technology to track every transaction a person makes - publicly - forever.
Go take a cup of coffee and remember that governments already have a full access to the bank systen and all transactions. They can already trach and block all pending transactions and even charge bach past ones. All "progressive" countries are switching from cash money to cards for the same purpose. At least blockchain will provide better transparency to their actions.

zhqqnhivae

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:57:55 AM

It seems really terrible if this is the case. It's like the plot in the movie. But if this is the case, I think we will not use virtual coins anymore.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 04:15:47 AM

It would be simple for a government to ban anything that isn't their preferred currency (they already do this with fiat).

I have been a strong supporter of cryptocurrency projects, especially DAO projects, that value equality, freedom and decentralization. The blockchain was supposed to free us from the banks, from government surveillance. But what if it ends up becoming a permanent purgatory? A history of everything you've done that never dies. The history will be sitting there for future generations to analyze and judge.

I am scared.
Everything is already being recorded for posterity, Google does not delete a thing and Facebook is the same, everything you search and every website you look at is being recorded by your ISP and government agencies so what you are describing is nothing new, but if you are that worried about it then you should use anonymity coins like monero or dash.
SGToken

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 04:18:35 AM

That will never happen as long as there are still people want privacy. Most of government still listens to voice from the ground.
Brothersav

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 04:37:23 AM

I am scared.

Have you been reading George Orwell's 1984? He touches upon this dystopian vision you're commenting on. Let's hope not and focus on the present. I feel like blockchain can be used privately, look at healthcare records. this is going to be on the blockchain per UAE vision

Newboybb

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 05:11:59 AM

In fact, the current banking system is perfect enough to track your every transaction and transaction amount.
This does not change anything because of the arrival of the blockchain. Instead, the blockchain increases transparency, so long as you don't commit a crime, everything is fine.

cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 05:16:48 AM

Mhm, who cares what they can see when they don't know who is behind it all? Seriously. Who cares if you can see where someone is sending Bitcoins? That's just another address that may or may not be linked with anyone online. So how would they figure it out, assuming you use an HD wallet and don't just keep accepting and spending Bitcoins through the same address over and over again.

If it's a real concern, just use a crypto that's more private. Good to go.
ohtmvhbli

Activity: 51

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 05:38:07 AM

This is terrible. This was originally to get rid of. Instead, the result may be tighter bondage.
whmpblgg

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 06:14:05 AM

Your guess is interesting. It is in the exact opposite direction of encryption. Everything has a relativity. This is no exception. However, this idea will not be achieved.
QlooQl (OP)

Merit: 122

Hello World!

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:24:42 PM

Mhm, who cares what they can see when they don't know who is behind it all? Seriously. Who cares if you can see where someone is sending Bitcoins? That's just another address that may or may not be linked with anyone online. So how would they figure it out, assuming you use an HD wallet and don't just keep accepting and spending Bitcoins through the same address over and over again.

If it's a real concern, just use a crypto that's more private. Good to go.

You can switch to a privacy coin...for now. I believe there will be a strong push by government to make privacy coins illegal and ostracized.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
kris679

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:35:25 PM

So this theme is also very embarrassing to me because this market was created so that we could trade and nobody could follow us and the states want to throw their nose and here
steplaza

Activity: 175

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 06:46:00 AM

Our current system is not that different, technically decentralization should bring to less control..but history teaches us that everything can happen and things can take every unexpected turns...
truemeren

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 11:32:05 AM

I personally think that your fear is completely unnecessary. It is good for the government to use blockchain technology to track every transaction made by a person. This can make the cryptocurrency market more standardized. As long as I am not corrupt and have no crime, I will not worry at all.
tytanhamon04

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

A nexgen decentralized ride hailing

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 08:33:39 PM

I think that the blockchain will not be able to overthrow banks as it is just a unique technology but I am sure that it will be implemented in every Bank in the world !

DRIFE ●●
█ NEXGEN DECENTRALIZED RIDE HAILING PLATFORM █
●●● 
Wicked Sick

Activity: 293

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 04:59:34 AM

It could very well be but there is always another side to everything, that is why something that could look like purgatory to you looks like the best thing to me. Yes blockchain can be bad but that is only if we do not use it well, if it is properly used then we should have no problems with the technology, we would even enjoy it more.

labhsikh123

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 06:42:05 AM

Don't fear kindly, this is terrible but result will be good.  It should not be illegal.
seumk

Activity: 102

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 06:47:54 AM

Why are you afraid? If you don't commit crimes, you don't have to be afraid of blockchains. Blockchains can make things transparent.
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 06:51:12 AM

I am scared.
Don't be scared after all that is why God created the world system from beginning and we are really going back to the original.  Our world has been polluted by secrecy and blockchain technology come up to break that secrecy if governments can allow it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: