Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:25:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrypt Bitcoin Threads NOT Allowed  (Read 12686 times)
pr9me

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

Cryptsy.com • Got Shitcoins?

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:37:44 PM

My views on censorship aside, I think this was by far the best approach. I applaud the staff for making the right decision. Wink
heatgsm

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 03:09:05 PM

My views on censorship aside, I think this was by far the best approach. I applaud the staff for making the right decision. Wink
  Got BTC !?  Grin Censorship always comes with A PRICE  Wink
Jude Austin
Legendary

Activity: 1140
Merit: 1000

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 01:22:27 AM

Thank God!

I was going to say that that was a bad idea from the start.

Way too much confusion.

Keep up the good work BitcoinTalk!

Buy or sell $100 of Crypto and get $10!
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 05:14:15 AM

Agreed, I was trying to get ahold of the Scrypt Bitcoin Dev, however they are pretty elusive. The first plan was to just have people put Disclaimers in their threads so everyone would know for certain which Bitcoin they were dealing with. The risk of having your Bitcoin wallet overwritten is why we aren't allowing Scrypt Bitcoin threads.

So does that mean if they rename the directory to bitcoin2 then everything will be fine?  That's still going to make a lot of people unhappy.

The name "bitcoin" is a community asset, there's a fine line between censorship and preventing confusion.

Note: I'm neither for nor against the decision, just saying.
platti

Activity: 251

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 07:17:35 AM

this is bitcointalk.org, not scryptbitcointalk.org

Fablio2

Activity: 464
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:43:51 AM

This is "Alternate cryptocurrencies" dude. And I think everyone has the right to decide for itself - mine or not to mine this altcoin.
qwep
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:01:59 AM

This is "Alternate cryptocurrencies" dude. And I think everyone has the right to decide for itself - mine or not to mine this altcoin.
+1
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:06:45 AM

I fully support this. Why is there even the need to name it Bitcoin ? Any other name would have been as good. This is only creating a mess and will make people losing money or interest in Bitcoin.
It feels like counterfeit cash. And this is illegal , too.

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
heatgsm

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:29:21 AM

...people losing money or interest in Bitcoin.
Like yourself?  Cheesy
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:33:46 AM

Like yourself?  Cheesy

How should I lose money or interested on this if I do not participate in this scrypt bitcoin nor am I a uninformed newbie scammed out of 100$ by buying scrypt bitcoin. This explanation will be interesting.

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
Fablio2

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:41:13 AM
Last edit: September 13, 2013, 10:01:56 AM by Fablio2

Like yourself?  Cheesy

How should I lose money or interested on this if I do not participate in this scrypt bitcoin nor am I a uninformed newbie scammed out of 100$ by buying scrypt bitcoin. This explanation will be interesting.
I repeat:

1. I did an experiment with a wallet with 0,001 BTC. In the end, nothing has gone nowhere!
The second network (Bitcoin-2) has created the same address (I send to this address 50 BTC2 and I receive them). All coins from "alien network" are located in UNCONFIRMED. Then, when I copy this wallet to original BTC and start client - I still have 0.001 BTC in my wallet and 50 BTC2 in UNCONFIRMED.
Now I have the same multi-address for BTC and BTC-2.
2. There is an instruction how to install wallet:
"IMPORTANT NOTE
Installing the wallet:  Since this is an EXACT copy of Bitcoin when you install the client it will attempt to use the existing bitcoin roaming (windows) folder.  You're going to need to rename the Bitcoin SHA-256 roaming folder to something else to use the Bitcoin Scrypt client.  BEWARE, this could destroy your wallet if you start mining Bitcoin Scrypt using the Bitcoin SHA-256 wallet.dat file."
3. Soon will be renamed version (Bitcoin2) for convenience. Of course you do not lose your coins.

Everyone has the right to decide for itself - mine or not to mine this altcoin.[/b]
pyromaniac

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:24:15 AM

Like yourself?  Cheesy

I repeat:

1. I did an experiment with a wallet with 0,001 BTC. In the end, nothing has gone nowhere!
The second network (Bitcoin-2) has created the same address (I send to this address 50 BTC2 and I receive them). All coins from "alien network" are located in UNCONFIRMED. Then, when I copy this wallet to original BTC and start client - I still have 0.001 BTC in my wallet and 50 BTC2 in UNCONFIRMED.

Once I have tried this with RUCoin, another dead copy of Bitcoin. Same result. But what will happen if enough people will make same thing? Will network confirm their transactions? Do you understand, if this will happen, Bitcoin will be destroyed.

Fablio2

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:38:25 AM

Like yourself?  Cheesy

I repeat:

Once I have tried this with RUCoin, another dead copy of Bitcoin. Same result. But what will happen if enough people will make same thing? Will network confirm their transactions? Do you understand, if this will happen, Bitcoin will be destroyed.
I don't belive it possible Smiley.
If it were possible, it would have already done by using original Bitcoin QT and wallet with tons of coins from a testnet!
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:14:25 PM

And what's next? BTC 3.0, BTC 4.0, ..., BTC ∞?
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:20:17 PM

Not entirely true. The Alt Currencies board was made to completely seperate all of the alt coins from the rest of the Bitcoin forums, as the majority of the users here aren't interested or care to know anything about alt coins. When Bitcoin users who have no other knowledge of alt currencies find "Bitcoin" threads, how are they supposed to know anything about it, including that it can erase your wallet. What do you think the chances are of someone going into the market section, offering "Bitcoins" for something, and then scamming them with Scrypt Bitcoins saying they never specified. That or getting out of gambling debts using Scrypt Bitcoins. Its just going to be a major pain until they are renamed, hence the decision.

Renaming it is all fine and good like you said, I'll check it out when it happens. And I will again, discuss it with the rest of the staff.

And you said you tried it with a very small test amount, however on nearly every other Scrypt Bitcoin thread, including the original announcement thread, there is a warning saying it can overwrite your Bitcoin files. So unless you are willing to stake your name, and have thousands of Bitcoins on standby ready to pay anyone back who loses them by accident, its still best to be cautious about the situation.

This isn't about censorship. Its about protecting people's already established assets, and to do so we have to keep a coin with just a few users on the hush hush. I don't agree with censorship for the most part, and you will see many of the staff members here have the same general viewpoints as the community. However, like I said there is a line between censorship and protecting people. If the forums had a no censorship policy, we would also allow Malware and Advertisments, however we don't, and there is no one complaining about that.

Also, keep in mind, as this came up a lot when we were trying to get subboards here in the Alt section. This is a Bitcoin forum. The fact that Alt Coins are even allowed here is a pleasantry contingent that we try and issolate it here, so it doesn't spill over to the rest of the forums. The Admins of the site could just as easily say, alright no more Alt coins allowed here, because its getting confusing. If you feel very strongly on keeping Scrypt Bitcoins named Scrypt Bitcoins, talk to the Alt Currency forums about it, however for the reasons I mentioned before and now, these forums are very cautious of them as there is a huge potential for abuse.
heatgsm

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:39:31 PM

This isn't about censorship. Its about protecting people's already established assets..
 Where did we heard this before !?.."Trust us..we`re the FED"..."Trust us..we`re you`re beloved goubernment".. Grin we want only what`s best for us..aargh ..you Smiley) . But then again this forum belongs to you so you do as you please
heatgsm

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:42:04 PM

And what's next? BTC 3.0, BTC 4.0, ..., BTC ∞?
And from your side what`s next !? Pool no. 3?..4? You still owe me and other people money !
Fablio2

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:46:03 PM

I think even the most vehement opponents certainly mined yourself a couple of hundred Bitcoins2 just in case. Wink
heatgsm

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:46:51 PM

Most of the people don`t seem to grasp the idea that was behind this whole damn charade ...

"Bitcoin was supposed to be decentralised and run by the people, the general public. However due to ASIC, this now means that the network can really only be controlled by the rich and powerful, the governments and corporations and of course the ASIC manufactures.

Bitcoin Scrypt changes that and brings Bitcoin back into the hands of the people, if fact, pretty much anyone with a GPU can mine Bitcoin Scrypt and mine a nice wedge."
Fablio2

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:58:44 PM

Bitcoin Scrypt changes that and brings Bitcoin back into the hands of the people..."
100%. Because ASICs make Bitcoin mining only for the rich. I can already imagine a farms with the hundreds of these cards:
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: