Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:06:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We need Alan/etotheipi (Armory) as a fulltime-developer! Now!  (Read 3861 times)
SeansOutpost

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 10:33:36 PM

Satoshi Forest glory

lol.

Here's a thing to know about Pensacola Florida

It's swamp land.
Is that picture from Black Water or the UWF Nature trail?

Yeah, the swamp land is really more of a South Florida thing. We are more pine forest up here.

And Satoshi Forest was picked specifically because it has two distinct high ground portions that will fair well in out frequent storms.

Thanks!

Jason King
Sean's Outpost

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ente (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:18:01 AM

I was never as delighted to get a thread back on topic:

Most Secure Bitcoin Wallet Armory Raises $600k Led by Trace Mayer
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-secure-bitcoin-wallet-armory-raises-600k-led-by-trace-mayer-2013-09-16

Awesome, awesome, this is fabulous news, Alan!

Ente
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 04:18:50 PM

I was never as delighted to get a thread back on topic:

Most Secure Bitcoin Wallet Armory Raises $600k Led by Trace Mayer
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-secure-bitcoin-wallet-armory-raises-600k-led-by-trace-mayer-2013-09-16

Awesome, awesome, this is fabulous news, Alan!

Ente

Yes, very good news Smiley

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:02:48 PM

Finally.

now let's get an Android version going!
SeansOutpost

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 05:06:43 PM

This is awesome news. So happy for them.

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:11:23 PM

TBH, i've never understood why Alan has never been asked to be a core dev.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:20:05 PM

Egos probably. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 05:58:28 PM

I'm not convinced Alan wants to be a core dev.  We're going to be talking about whats coming up for Armory in the next week or two, I'm very excited for a faster Armory wallet.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:05:12 PM

I'm not convinced Alan wants to be a core dev.  We're going to be talking about whats coming up for Armory in the next week or two, I'm very excited for a faster Armory wallet.

This is great news. Maybe now Armory can get away from requiring Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind to run and stand on its own.

mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 06:20:58 PM

This is great news. Maybe now Armory can get away from requiring Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind to run and stand on its own.

It hasn't required that for at least 3 or 4 months, although I've found it to be more stable running that way anyhow.   Some very cool things coming for armory, can't wait to dig into it.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:22:28 PM

It hasn't required that for at least 3 or 4 months, although I've found it to be more stable running that way anyhow.   Some very cool things coming for armory, can't wait to dig into it.

no.

it still requires Bitcoin-qt with it's associated DB.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:23:14 PM

Really! It can work now in online mode without Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind running in the background! I've got to check this out and update again. Thanks for letting me know.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:31:00 PM

etotheipi is a fairly classic example of a "lone wolf" coder/programmer/software engineer. Adding money and co-worker/peer programmers into this situation quite often (at least 50/50) causes "pouring oil into the fire" situation.

On the other hand he's young (recent graduate) and may not be irreversibly set into that modus operandi.

Time will show...

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 06:31:24 PM

no.

My point was Armory can run it without having to have the second wallet open, it does still rely on running it in the background in the current version.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:42:39 PM

no.

My point was Armory can run it without having to have the second wallet open, it does still rely on running it in the background in the current version.

I checked it out and was going to tell you but I see cypherdoc beat me to it.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:58:34 PM

etotheipi is a fairly classic example of a "lone wolf" coder/programmer/software engineer. Adding money and co-worker/peer programmers into this situation quite often (at least 50/50) causes "pouring oil into the fire" situation.

On the other hand he's young (recent graduate) and may not be irreversibly set into that modus operandi.

Time will show...

interesting perspective.  

otoh, he will probably be the lead dev within the hierarchy of Armory.  afterall, he wrote the thing.  and it is the best wallet out there while contributing to the community in a big way.  

where would we be without it?
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:23:06 PM

interesting perspective.  

otoh, he will probably be the lead dev within the hierarchy of Armory.  afterall, he wrote the thing.  and it is the best wallet out there while contributing to the community in a big way.  
Exactly that's where the problem starts: "being the lead developer". etotheipi was/is rather short-fused personality. The typical (at least 50/50) trajectory of such a startup is:

1) several iterations of of trying to work with peers and ending up with a quarrels and no new code produced
2) hiring servants/completely unskilled programmers that are very supplicative but produce very low quality software

But it is also possible that etotheipi will turn around and learn how to work with teams. 

Yeah, that is the question. The other competing full-node/wallet implementations are also written by lone wolfs:

A) bitsofproof by grau
B) sx by genjix

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:08:21 PM

interesting perspective.  

Exactly that's where the problem starts: "being the lead developer". etotheipi was/is rather short-fused personality. The typical (at least 50/50) trajectory of such a startup is:

1) several iterations of of trying to work with peers and ending up with a quarrels and no new code produced
2) hiring servants/completely unskilled programmers that are very supplicative but produce very low quality software

But it is also possible that etotheipi will turn around and learn how to work with teams. 

Yeah, that is the question. The other competing full-node/wallet implementations are also written by lone wolfs:

A) bitsofproof by grau
B) sx by genjix

why are you always such a dick about things?  do you always see negatives in ppl?  i've only heard the core devs complain about you, not him.

and how would you know anything about being difficult to work with in re: to Alan?  have you worked with him?  Alan has been a star in the community from a user's perspective as every other comment here and on Reddit will attest to.  and Armory stands apart from bitsofproof and sx by far.

i'm willing to bet that anyone who's anything in Bitcoin and needs a usable daily wallet for their biz uses Armory.  no question in my mind it's that useful.

it's quite possible that he's a lone wolf as you describe but many great ppl have ventured out on their own in many industries over time and accomplished great things.  sometimes other ppl hold them back.
Ente (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:09:35 PM

He is a core dev.
The project is called Armory :-P

Nah, I very much prefer it that way, Alan sticking to Armory!
We don't need more resources on bitcoin-qt, we need more independent clients!

Ente
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 08:26:01 PM

Alan has been a star in the community from a user's perspective as every other comment here and on Reddit will attest to.

Unfortunately, many times our greatest assets become our largest liabilities.

Just think of the average member of the 2009-2011 Bitcoin community: an IQ at least two standard deviations above the mean, highly technically and mathematically competent, economically and financially savvy, entrepreneurial, willing to take risks or experiment while accepting the consequences, incredible work ethic and very independent minded.

So, why should they take any advice or listen to anyone else? Most other people are dumber, less skilled and view the world in a much less effective way. And the financial scoreboard says so with the rise in Bitcoin's price.

If you think herding cats is hard then herding honey badgers, particularly if they have been financially successful, is infinitely worse.

But I am sure that as long as members of the community, and this applies just as much to Alan as anyone else, find competent mentors who are not stupid and then are willing to work hard and be teachable they will be extremely successful. We all have a lot to learn; the problem is finding someone to learn it from who is willing to invest the time to do it.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: