Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:53:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you spreading the word about bitcoins?  (Read 4267 times)
alexout (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:00:45 PM

Hi all,

Im semi new to bitcoins. Been involved with it for a few months now, reading up on it and learning more and more every day.

Bitcoins seems like such a great concept but its value comes from popularity. The more people use it, the more valuable it becomes.

And the more people use it, the higher the price will become for those of us speculating here Smiley

So I think the most powerful thing anyone who IS speculating could do is to spread the word about bitcoins among their peers.

I personally have started posting about bitcoins on facebook and also do sometimes talk about it amongst friends.

I also recently invested in just-dice and plan to get all my friends who do get involved with bitcoins to invest in the site.

What other methods are people using to spread the word about bitcoins? Please share as Id like more inspiration on how I can go about affecting as many people as possible to buy into the concept of bitcoins.

Tshirts? car stickers? etc

Please share.
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:06:13 PM

giving gifts, e.g. 200 mBTC, especially to young people for high school graduation or birthdays

giving tips to service providers

creating emails describing my experiences and distributing it to interested followers

carry a physical Bitcoin coin in my wallet to bring out and show at social events
realdos

Activity: 167

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 08:29:16 PM

By writing some funny rap and get people laugh at it? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=262470.0
will1982

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 09:27:06 PM

Telling my friends...of which there is one.
cbhelp

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 09:28:42 PM

I did a write up describing how to buy on coinbase, and my experience.  It is linked in my signature.
hffule

Activity: 75

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 10:36:43 PM

telling my friends
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 10:46:47 PM

Meetup groups
Cross promotion
paullinator

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 10:54:50 PM

giving gifts, e.g. 200 mBTC, especially to young people for high school graduation or birthdays

giving tips to service providers

creating emails describing my experiences and distributing it to interested followers

carry a physical Bitcoin coin in my wallet to bring out and show at social events

In what form are you giving away mBits as gifts? I haven't found a good method to print out a bitcoin gift card that I can give people.

It would be awesome if I could print a handful of biz card sized .05 bitcoin gift cards which have a URL to a wallet like blockchain.info as well as an awesome intro into bitcoin complete with links to where to purchase stuff with it.
TitanBTC

Activity: 366
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 11:27:57 PM

I wrote a book specifically meant to get people excited about bitcoins and I give away copies to people who are interested. 

The physical bitcoin is BY FAR the best way to get people interested though.  I recently showed one of my physical bitcoins to a 70+ year old woman, with very little computer/tech knowledge, and she said,

"I don't know what it is, exactly, but I'd like to buy one!"

Never underestimate the power of a shiny object to draw people in.  Bitcoins are a bit too complex for the average person to fully understand, but everyone knows instinctively that shiny golden object = good.

doof

Activity: 765

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 11:46:16 PM

I've started a meetup https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251547.0

And in my circle of friends, I pay people back in bitcoins.  Like when the group of friends goes out for lunch, there is always someone that wants to pay on their credit card and collect $ off everyone.

Little things like that I try pay back with bitcoins.
David Rabahy

Activity: 709

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:52:57 AM

In what form are you giving away mBits as gifts? I haven't found a good method to print out a bitcoin gift card that I can give people.

I created the ones I gave away manually; not too tough.

I used this template http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/gift-certificates-bright-design-3-per-page-TC104029169.aspx but any will do and added an image, e.g. http://www.adafruit.com/adablog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Bitcoin.jpg.  I created a wallet on https://blockchain.info/wallet/new, sent the 200 mBTC to it and copied the QR code onto the gift certificate too.  I entered, for example, "200 mBTC = $25.00 on May 19, 2013" on the line and filled in the To: and From: fields.  Print on nice card stock, cut and put inside a greetings card and envelope.  After I gave the envelop to the recipient I explained about Bitcoin and provided the access instructions to their wallet.  Voilà.
dashingriddler
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 04:21:07 AM

See my idea here. You gonna love it.
It answers how i am spreading the word about bitcoins and how to gift people Smiley

WE did an expo about bitcoins as well and introduced bitcoin to 500+ people. Pics are here on this page http://www.coinmonk.com/coins.php

These are not yet for sale though. Still waiting for final packaging material. Each package would cost about 4-5 USD or so at the end and sold in packs of 10.

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████▀▀         ▀▀███████▄
    ▄█████▀                  ▀██████
   █████▀      ▄▄▄█████▄▄      ▀█████▄
  █████     ▄██████████████▄     ▀████▄
 █████     ██████▀▀  ▀▀██████▄    ▀████
▐████     █████          █████     █████
█████    ▐████                     ▐████
█████    █████                     ▐████
█████     █████          ▄████▌    █████
 ████▌    ▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀    ▄████▌
 ▀████▄     ▀██████████████▀     ▄████▀
  ▀█████▄     `▀████████▀▀     ▄█████▀
   `██████▄                  ▄██████
     ▀███████▄▄          ▄▄███████▀
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:12:05 AM

I've created these:

• Accepting Bitcoin: A guide for organisations
    • Accepting Bitcoin: A guide for UK organisations
    • Accepting Bitcoin: A cheeky guide for Brighton organisations

Signed up about 10 organisation in the UK, mainly Brighton/Sussex area to take it and am working on about another 20 more at the moment.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 09:37:47 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2013, 01:00:58 PM by NewLiberty

Making Bitcoin specie out of gold and silver, and distributing these.
With a hard money conversion tool linked to every fiat currency but defaulting to Bitcoin.

Where bitcoin is the hot virtual money, linking it to cold hard cash (the kind that jingles).
Tangible and valuable 1ozt quarter bitcoins for 2013

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 11:48:33 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2013, 01:56:12 PM by LiteCoinGuy

I personally have started posting about bitcoins on facebook and also do sometimes talk about it amongst friends.

I also recently invested in just-dice and plan to get all my friends who do get involved with bitcoins to invest in the site.

What other methods are people using to spread the word about bitcoins? Please share as Id like more inspiration on how I can go about affecting as many people as possible to buy into the concept of bitcoins.

Tshirts? car stickers? etc

Please share.

hello alexout,

of course i do. some weeks ago i noticed, that in several big forum in my country there was not a single topic about bitcoin. they talk about everything, but no word about bitcoin. also in a tech-forum  Huh.
so i decided to do some "infotainment" and try to spread the word ;-)

@dashingriddler

nice Smiley

faiza1990

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:54:29 AM

here spreading this word bitcoins is very difficult and need more time because we are trying to survive here for many things

roflmao129

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:17:11 AM

See my idea here. You gonna love it.
It answers how i am spreading the word about bitcoins and how to gift people Smiley

WE did an expo about bitcoins as well and introduced bitcoin to 500+ people. Pics are here on this page http://www.coinmonk.com/coins.php

These are not yet for sale though. Still waiting for final packaging material. Each package would cost about 4-5 USD or so at the end and sold in packs of 10.

Thats just awesome to get people into bitcoins like that! And the coin also looks pretty damn good.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 05:15:36 PM

here spreading this word bitcoins is very difficult and need more time because we are trying to survive here for many things

Survival is more important. What is the danger there?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:26:01 PM

I've given a few bitcoins out here and there in pre-loaded wallets. Talked about it to more than a handful of people. Most people scratch their heads, though...
dragonkid

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:33:29 PM

I gave up spreading word about bitcoins. Every time I try to start, I know there will be 20 + questions to come or at least an hour of explaining to do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: