Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:00:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LOL: Crypto mining 2013 vs. Crypto mining 2018  (Read 182 times)
cybersofts (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 284

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 11:29:10 PM

Russian Engineers Arrested for Using Nuclear Weapons Facility to Mine Cryptocurrency.

Russian authorities say they have arrested several engineers employed at the All-Russian Research Institute of Experimental Physics in Sarov, a top-secret nuclear weapons facility because they were involved in a cryptocurrency-mining scheme at work.

The tightly guarded nuclear facility is where the USSR’s first nuclear bomb was built. According to the BBC, it has about 20,000 employees and one of the country’s strongest supercomputers, which can run at one petaflop, or perform a quadrillion operations per second. That’s ideal for running nuclear scientific calculations and simulations.

According to some Russian media reports, the employees tried to use the power of the supercomputer to mine cryptocurrency and were detected when they attempted to connect the usually offline machine to the internet.

https://thehackernews.com/2018/02/supercomputer-mining-bitcoin.html
https://gizmodo.com/russian-engineers-arrested-for-using-nuclear-weapons-fa-1822865348

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 11:47:06 PM
Merited by cybersofts (1)

So, in short, they connected a usually air-gapped top secret supercomputer involved in Russia's nuclear weapon program to the internet, and hoped no one would notice. For rocket/nuclear scientists, they are not very smart. Hahaha.

Wonder what their hashrate was...
cobeksede

Activity: 490
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 11:57:57 PM

cryptomining 2013 does look old but they pay while cryptomining now looks cool but many do not pay
cybersofts (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 284

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:05:07 AM
Last edit: February 12, 2018, 12:27:59 AM by cybersofts

So, in short, they connected a usually air-gapped top secret supercomputer involved in Russia's nuclear weapon program to the internet, and hoped no one would notice. For rocket/nuclear scientists, they are not very smart. Hahaha.

They must be dumb for connecting such big computer to the internet... Smiley
They expect to mine cryptos and go unnoticed Cheesy After all, we are living in a very small world.
Yaunfitda

Activity: 2828
Merit: 575

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:31:23 AM
Merited by cybersofts (2)

They must be dumb for connecting such big computer to the internet... Smiley
They thought they'll just mine cryptos unnoticed Cheesy After all, we are living in a very small world.

What those guys thinks? Everything that is connected to the Internet is being monitored by the Russia government. So they were caught red handed with their pants down.

So that begs me to question, why the hell did they do that? Are they really scientist or engineers that they think they can get away without anyone noticing it? It make 0 sense to me. I guess they are not getting paid well by the government that they needed a sideline to make money out of cryptos'. Grin

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:48:13 AM
Merited by cybersofts (2)

well 1hash=~1300 operations a second (flops)

a quadrillion operations a second is less than 1 terrahash
not much these days.
though the numbers are guesses and estimates and not an exact science as you will see via the quote below

we are well past the days of CPU mining. and well passed the days of 'super computers'
ASIC's are way way way more efficient and cheaper than a PC/supercomputer

after all you can buy a 13terrahash miner for only a couple thousand dollars

According to bitcoinwatch.com
1 Hash = 12,697 FLOPs

Thats a gibberish number. It is like saying that one mile per hour is equal to 14.285 pounds (because some car that weighs 2000 lbs can go 140 MPH).

There are no floating point operations involved in the calculation of a bitcoin hash. None at all. 0 FLOPS.

Ngzhang says above that there are about 1300 32-bit operations (in one bitcoin hash) which sounds about right. So one 1GH/s would be equal to 1,300,000,000,000 operations per second.

If you're looking to, e.g. compare bitcoin's speed with various supercomputers you can just figure out how fast the supercomputer could mine.  For example, one of the top machines is the Jaguar supercomputer which uses fairly standard opteron cores. I think my fairly boring rough numbers put it at about 522 GH/s.  (pshaw, who says CPU mining is useless? Wink )

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
benalexis12

Activity: 798
Merit: 117

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 12:59:27 AM

Then Whoever it is! he/she can mine 1 btc in just one day a supercomputer or very high power nuclear can make a milli second bitcoin? LOL! it's very dangerous to get involve in that situation coz government are the ones who will control it.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:14:26 AM

Then Whoever it is! he/she can mine 1 btc in just one day a supercomputer or very high power nuclear can make a milli second bitcoin? LOL! it's very dangerous to get involve in that situation coz government are the ones who will control it.

nah
that super computer is meaningless
the bitcoin network hashrate is 24million times more then the super computer
yep 24million terrahashes

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: