Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:13:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-02-12]Bitmain To Release Ethereum ASIC Miner F3 With 72Gb DDR3 Dram In Q2  (Read 10445 times)
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2018, 11:09:51 AM

Antminer F3 is already there in the wild?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-1iG6mdJ8&feature=youtu.be

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1307

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2018, 11:21:42 AM

If this is really true I'll sell every coin I have and leave ETH, and probably cryptos, decentralization is my  &¨%%¨$#

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
wtfonly16

Activity: 285
Merit: 105

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 05:41:54 PM

DDR3 is pretty slow for ETH mining, look at the GDDR5X it's slower than GDDR5 and DDR3 is way slower for mining, but it would be probably cost effective with those DDR3, seems like DDR4 are too expensive that's plus.

hahahahhahahaha look how fast it is now.

all of you now you see.

ye i aint bares
ThugB33

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:27:04 PM

That's a first april prank! The real time hash rate doesn't match Cheesy I've looked at every antminer version that I own and they all match in real time Smiley

Oakey22

Activity: 488
Merit: 322

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:57:38 PM

This will be interesting to see it finally make it. One thing is for sure, it's going to kill GPU mining when all those rigs start switching to other coins
wtfonly16

Activity: 285
Merit: 105

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:59:08 PM

This will be interesting to see it finally make it. One thing is for sure, it's going to kill GPU mining when all those rigs start switching to other coins

it already has killed gpu mining...
its been out since last year. bitmain did this exact strategy with monero asic... how do you not see it ?

ye i aint bares
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 07:04:31 PM

From what I've heard the hashrate will be combined with the price, it barely competes with an optimized rig, I mean it's nothing like other ASICs, which I guess makes sense since Ethereum relies on memory speed, and using that massive amount of DDR3 doesn't seem very cost effective (I mean, why didn't they use DDR4)
Also the only confirmed Eth ASIC I've seen is really lackluster
https://www.eastshore.xyz/shop/ethereum-miner-geass-198mh-asic-miner-for-ether-mining/

That is NOT an ASIC rig, that is a GPU rig using "laptop" type GPUs.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Lunga Chung

Activity: 277
Merit: 23

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 09:14:54 PM

DDR3 is pretty slow for ETH mining, look at the GDDR5X it's slower than GDDR5 and DDR3 is way slower for mining, but it would be probably cost effective with those DDR3, seems like DDR4 are too expensive that's plus.

DDR3 has one advantage over newer memory architecture....it handles small chunks much better then DDR4/5

DDR3 memory is faster than GDDR5 memory when you only want to fetch a tiny chunk. GDDR is designed to access huge chunks with high throughput. DDR4 vs GDDR5 for a 128 bit fetch is no-contest DDR4 winner. In addition to that, FPGAs now support OpenCL, with a properly designed FPGA setup, a miner with an OpenCL shouldnt even notice its running on a FPGA

https://www.vijaypradeep.com/blog/2017-04-28-ethereums-memory-hardness-explained/
Lunga Chung

Activity: 277
Merit: 23

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 09:18:08 PM

Also this is interesting....

https://www.ccn.com/ethereum-developer-opens-eip-to-discuss-bricking-ethash-asic-miners/
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 12:33:34 AM

From what I've heard the hashrate will be combined with the price, it barely competes with an optimized rig, I mean it's nothing like other ASICs, which I guess makes sense since Ethereum relies on memory speed, and using that massive amount of DDR3 doesn't seem very cost effective (I mean, why didn't they use DDR4)
Also the only confirmed Eth ASIC I've seen is really lackluster
https://www.eastshore.xyz/shop/ethereum-miner-geass-198mh-asic-miner-for-ether-mining/

That is NOT an ASIC rig, that is a GPU rig using "laptop" type GPUs.

They have had that GPU rig you talk about out on the Chinese site for more than 6 months, I think it was...this is really an ASIC from what I've heard....

I've also heard that the ram needed for this puppy to work, even as an ASIC is huge..thus around a 12k price tag..

with the price and possibility of a quick ETH fork looks beyond dangerous to dive in on

and if it is a GPU rig like the Chinese ones they have been pushing....it is cheaper now and better to make a NVIDIA rig..again from what I'm told

I don't GPU mine

anyway, my 2 bits worth

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
cuteman

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 09:49:59 AM

An Ethereum developer has opened an Ethereum Improvement Proposal (EIP) to discuss whether the community should modify its Ethash mining algorithm to maintain ASIC resistance.  The EIP is a direct response to reports that Bitmain — by far the largest manufacturer of mining rigs that use Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) chips — has developed an Ethash ASIC miner and will begin shipping them within the next several months.

- by the way the same proposal to change algorithm was for the SIA coin, after Bitmain launched it's miner.    But finally SIA decided not to do so.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 09:54:24 AM

- by the way the same proposal to change algorithm was for the SIA coin, after Bitmain launched it's miner.    But finally SIA decided not to do so.

I predicted this would happen, I told many times what would happen before it happened,  sia devs got shot in the head. It served them well. Their greediness taught them a lesson.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
cuteman

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 10:08:54 AM

- by the way the same proposal to change algorithm was for the SIA coin, after Bitmain launched it's miner.    But finally SIA decided not to do so.

I predicted this would happen, I told many times what would happen before it happened,  sia devs got shot in the head. It served them well. Their greediness taught them a lesson.
Don't really understand why SIA community did not agree to change in algorithm?  This might punish Bitmain at least.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 10:11:51 AM

Don't really understand why SIA community did not agree to change in algorithm?  This might punish Bitmain at least.

I know why and they will never officially tell anybody this, Bitmain bought them up, all of them to leave things as it is. Well in the end sia devs got their money and will earn a fraction of money as per asics sold by bitmain. It is all crooked business as usual.

cuteman

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 10:16:02 AM

Don't really understand why SIA community did not agree to change in algorithm?  This might punish Bitmain at least.

I know why and they will never officially tell anybody this, Bitmain bought them up, all of them to leave things as it is. Well in the end sia devs got their money and will earn a fraction of money as per asics sold by bitmain. It is all crooked business as usual.
Wow how unfair to developers of  Obelisc miners, and to those who has bought these miners , with delivery end of this summer...
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 10:18:06 AM

Wow how unfair to developers of  Obelisc miners, and to those who has bought these miners , with delivery end of this summer...

I told the people buying the obelisks this would happen, they never listened, they never listen anyway. They got what they deserved as well.

The question is if eth devs will be bought up too by bitmain, 3 billion dollar company hehe, we will be back in this topic soon. I mean, Bitmain has been mining eth for 4 months and eth devs ignored that. I wonder why hehe

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 03:30:27 PM

Sia wanted ASICS for their network. Their machines the obelisks paid for. With btc already from last year.
If Bitmain rigs can replace. No loss for Sia Tech.

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 03:42:50 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2018, 04:30:31 PM by bigjee

An Ethereum developer has opened an Ethereum Improvement Proposal (EIP) to discuss whether the community should modify its Ethash mining algorithm to maintain ASIC resistance.  The EIP is a direct response to reports that Bitmain — by far the largest manufacturer of mining rigs that use Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) chips — has developed an Ethash ASIC miner and will begin shipping them within the next several months.

If you read VB's twitter comments today about ASICs; he is open to them.
And is proposing a hard cap of 120 million ETH instead. While it will counter the evangelistic approach of ETH so far it will make it harder to mine eventually but the coin will retain its value somewhat i.e this is an anti deflationary measure. EIP 960.  

-On the other hand we have EIP 958 open also. so please sign up/vote if you want to fork ETH. https://github.com/ethereum/EIPs/issues/958
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:18:15 PM

An Ethereum developer has opened an Ethereum Improvement Proposal (EIP) to discuss whether the community should modify its Ethash mining algorithm to maintain ASIC resistance.  The EIP is a direct response to reports that Bitmain — by far the largest manufacturer of mining rigs that use Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) chips — has developed an Ethash ASIC miner and will begin shipping them within the next several months.

Turns out the Bitmain E3 (NOT the F3 as reported) is not exactly a big GPU mining killer.

180 Mhash
800 watts

About the the SAME performance as a well-tuned 6 card RX 580/480 based rig, and slightly INFERIOR to a well-tuned 6-card GTX 1070 based rig.

On the other hand, at $800 they WILL sell these things probably as fast as they can make them, for a while.

First batch isn't shipping 'till mid-July though - achieving 100% ROI is going to be a bit iffy even if POS gets pushed back a couple more times.

http://shop.bitmain.com/product/detail?pid=00020180403174908564M8dMJKtz06B7

Note that Bitmain would have to sell well over ONE MILLION of these units to double the current ETH Network Hashrate (at current numbers right around 1.75 million, then add in a few hundred thousand more to cover ETC and the other forked ethash coins).
It took them almost 2 YEARS to achieve close to One Million sales on the S9, and the S9 is higher performance and efficiency than ANYTHING ELSE currently shipping.

Don't bother forking the algorithm on ETH for THESE miners, it's not worth the time and trouble.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:22:42 PM

Turns out the Bitmain E3 (NOT the F3 as reported) is not exactly a big GPU mining killer.

180 Mhash
800 watts

Turns out bitmain is hiding the gpu killer --> F3.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: