Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:17:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH GPUs miners beware!  (Read 20712 times)
generalheed

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:27:42 PM

I wonder if this means an ASIC for cryptonote coins like Monero are just on the horizon then? I don't know the exact details but I think some of the reasons cryptonote is ASIC-resistant are the same as ETH.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:30:12 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2018, 08:58:16 PM by Vann

Look at the difference between the top hash power and second place

https://eth.nanopool.org

So there are ETH farms? If Bitmain were testing an ASIC for ETH, do you really think they would make it obvious by mining on a public pool? Nobody knew about the SIA Bitmain A3 until ASIC's for SIA were already announced for it and it was available for pre order from Bitmain for delivery in days. But you believe somehow Bitmain coming out with an ASIC for ETH, that nobody has been able to do for years is announced months ahead of time? LOL
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:44:16 PM

I wonder if this means an ASIC for cryptonote coins like Monero are just on the horizon then? I don't know the exact details but I think some of the reasons cryptonote is ASIC-resistant are the same as ETH.

I already said about a month ago that there are not asics in the roadmap for monero, only ethash and equihash, developing asics take time and also there is a queue.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:59:05 PM

I already said about a month ago that there are not asics in the roadmap for monero, only ethash and equihash, developing asics take time and also there is a queue.

So I should start to worry about my investment about 12 mining rigs with 6 x GPU each mining Ethereum at 182 Mhash each. I had in plan to reinvest 100% of the coins I am making from these rigs and build other rigs. Checking the performance of Monero though, it is not something I would do. That would be very sad for me, if this ASICS for Ethash and Equihash come into place.
Dlikrot

Activity: 227
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:03:38 PM

It it's true it will certainly be interesting. Maybe Eth is going PoS in a heartbeat if that happens? But; I would certainly risk it and buy a couple xD

To btc or not to btc - that is the electrum
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:04:18 PM

So I should start to worry about my investment about 12 mining rigs with 6 x GPU each mining Ethereum at 182 Mhash each. I had in plan to reinvest 100% of the coins I am making from these rigs and build other rigs. Checking the performance of Monero though, it is not something I would do. That would be very sad for me, if this ASICS for Ethash and Equihash come into place.

The only concerning about cryptonight is the millions of gpus moving to it hehe

dohfish

Activity: 65

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:40:49 PM

Nvidia already said it will not focus on mining in 2018 and that tells us they know there is something they cant compete with.

Spinning the rumors here are we? Nvidia are not focusing on mining as they dont need to, why would they? They sell all the cards they can produce, same as AMD so why focus on something that are already profitable for them.

Mining is not going to die in 2018, neither are ASICs coming the ethash in 2018, and even if they do come, they will not make any huge dents in the network hashrate simply due to the way ethash is constructed.

Anyone saying otherwise are technically not worthy to talk about this.

Mining at the moment is 4-5 times more profitable than a year ago, even if it drops to 1/5th of what it is today, im still making a decent profit from my machines - If that happens it is not due to some fantasy ASIC that some random website decides to spread rumours about.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:58:01 PM

Nvidia already said it will not focus on mining in 2018 and that tells us they know there is something they cant compete with.

Spinning the rumors here are we? Nvidia are not focusing on mining as they dont need to, why would they? They sell all the cards they can produce, same as AMD so why focus on something that are already profitable for them.

Mining is not going to die in 2018, neither are ASICs coming the ethash in 2018, and even if they do come, they will not make any huge dents in the network hashrate simply due to the way ethash is constructed.

Mining at the moment is 4-5 times more profitable than a year ago, even if it drops to 1/5th of what it is today, im still making a decent profit from my machines - If that happens it is not due to some fantasy ASIC that some random website decides to spread rumours about.

I feel your rage, you must be new to mining and must have paid a lot of money for gpus. There are lots of desperate people around, even integrated gpus they are using to get some few khashes hehe. So to rephrase, Nvidia said it would focus on mining in 2018 and now they said they will not, see my point, they know something that they cant compete with and this thing is recent, about a month, probably they have the same source as I have.

Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:30:00 PM

I feel your rage, you must be new to mining and must have paid a lot of money for gpus. There are lots of desperate people around, even integrated gpus they are using to get some few khashes hehe. So to rephrase, Nvidia said it would focus on mining in 2018 and now they said they will not, see my point, they know something that they cant compete with and this thing is recent, about a month, probably they have the same source as I have.

If you didn't make same post abut death of GPU mining in 2015, 2016 and 2017, maybe that would mean something
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:48:47 PM

If you didn't make same post abut death of GPU mining in 2015, 2016 and 2017, maybe that would mean something

I'm a member on this forum since 2013 and I created only one thread. If you don't believe you can always check if I'm telling the truth or not, very easy to find it out, just few clicks.

dohfish

Activity: 65

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 12:44:37 AM

I feel your rage, you must be new to mining and must have paid a lot of money for gpus. There are lots of desperate people around, even integrated gpus they are using to get some few khashes hehe. So to rephrase, Nvidia said it would focus on mining in 2018 and now they said they will not, see my point, they know something that they cant compete with and this thing is recent, about a month, probably they have the same source as I have.

Actually I have been mining since late 2014, I have paid off my gear 3 years ago basically.

I live in an area where the power prices are amongst the highest in the world, and im still making in the area of 250US a day in profits from my rigs - I have nothing against you, but your constant rant about the GPU mining is going to die is getting old - There's at the current time nothing that indicates that it should die, other than more people are joining in which will cut profits down per card depending on the price of the coins etc..

The only "rage" from my side is against you, spreading fake news constantly, ranting about shit that you have no honest knowledge about.

Would I buy new hardware now? Most likely yes if the prices are right, but you really need to stop being a dick.
RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:10:55 AM

In order to be faster than gpus they must build an eth algo dedicated cpu for thier machine so it will only hit eth , or they will build it as equivalent to 18 gpus and in same price.

2016 GPU Miner
rem26

Activity: 78

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:25:11 AM

I design ASIC's for a living.  I implement them in FPGA before we tape out.  (Not for crypto)..

The sheer volumes of memory bandwidth needed, and the costs, tell me that someone is smoking some seriously good shit.  I get beat up over 64k of RAM.... 

xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 01:31:57 AM

wondering how the "regular consumer grade or home user grade " Volta gpu's going to work for mining .
currently , with nVidia Volta gpu , ETH mining speed is around 60-68MH/s out of box, with little overclocking , this number can pushed up to 80MH/s with a 250 TDP. Im dual mining with one of my nvidia Titan Volta , ETH/DCR , eth is around 78+MH/s stable , DCR is around 600MH/s , the card is pulling around 180-190 watts at the wall , so im sure there is more potencial in those cards Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
badfad

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:00:57 AM

wondering how the "regular consumer grade or home user grade " Volta gpu's going to work for mining .
currently , with nVidia Volta gpu , ETH mining speed is around 60-68MH/s out of box, with little overclocking , this number can pushed up to 80MH/s with a 250 TDP. Im dual mining with one of my nvidia Titan Volta , ETH/DCR , eth is around 78+MH/s stable , DCR is around 600MH/s , the card is pulling around 180-190 watts at the wall , so im sure there is more potencial in those cards Smiley

I remember the 1080ti doing 38 Mh/s and 2.5Ghs(or 2Gh?) in eth/decred, it also ate around 300W doing that Smiley. These new cards will be monsters, I just don't want to imagine the mark-up on launch Smiley
ggbtctalk000

Activity: 394

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:53:41 AM

I design ASIC's for a living.  I implement them in FPGA before we tape out.  (Not for crypto)..

The sheer volumes of memory bandwidth needed, and the costs, tell me that someone is smoking some seriously good shit.  I get beat up over 64k of RAM.... 

will you elaborate a bit more? are you saying that the cost of equipment manufacture is not worht designing such an asic miner? THanks.,
ggbtctalk000

Activity: 394

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:56:40 AM

i think it is more tailored for a AI application as i remember about 600 cores for that. Other than that there appears to be about 1500 more cores. Can not comment much on memory and core speed, frequency, did not look closely.
For mining 600 AI core are wasted imo.

GTX 1080 Ti   700-800 (OEMs)   11GB DDR5X   Pascal   GP102   3584
GTX 1080      8GB DDR5   Pascal   GP104?   2560

Titan V      12GB HBM2   Volta   GV100?   5120 + 640 tensor
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 08:54:32 AM

Ethash is memory bandwidth bound...I don't think ASIC can help much there...
and if bitmain can solve that, they better start making graphic cards, they'll earn more money Smiley
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:44:01 PM

will you elaborate a bit more? are you saying that the cost of equipment manufacture is not worht designing such an asic miner? THanks.,

If it were me.  And I had the resources. I would make asic for Ethash just to say I got it done when so many day it’s impossible.  When you make billions of profit a year and look to do the same this year.  What’s a few 100k to dabble with an asic for fun?   Anyway cost isn’t the issue here. I’m sure it’s well worth it to learn what an asic can and can’t do.  All about learning.  Look at what we spend yearly on school.  This is just drop in bucket.

BR

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:57:14 PM

i think it is more tailored for a AI application as i remember about 600 cores for that. Other than that there appears to be about 1500 more cores. Can not comment much on memory and core speed, frequency, did not look closely.
For mining 600 AI core are wasted imo.

GTX 1080 Ti   700-800 (OEMs)   11GB DDR5X   Pascal   GP102   3584
GTX 1080      8GB DDR5   Pascal   GP104?   2560

Titan V      12GB HBM2   Volta   GV100?   5120 + 640 tensor

Makes a lot of sense being that Nvidia has invested a lot in AI and autonomous driving systems so to see this tech spill over into GPU's would make sense. They have a lot more riding in that realm than they do on video cards. There's no doubt Volta will be a "better" GPU but how much better at mining it will be, we don't know yet. Clearly they are addressing the mining market by introducing the P1xx cards and I can't see them introducing a product like Volta that uses less power and mines better than the P102's. Wouldn't make sense.

What a lot of people don't realize about "mining" - people like Metroid who spread FUD every single waking day of their life, is that with our rigs we've created a massive calculator. Right now, it profits on cryptocurrency. If Metroid's prophecy rings true and GPU mining dies, the next wave applications will hit. There are so many business applications that would love to leverage this entire network of computational GPU's. GPU "mining" for crypto may eventually die, or rather evolve, but the network will also evolve to be used for other applications besides crypto and those with the equipment will get paid.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: