Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 01:01:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 141 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange or Wallet?  (Read 8669 times)
SERGOSTAP

Activity: 139
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:15:22 PM

I keep on exchange only those coins that I trade.
I keep coins for a long time on my wallet. Because I do not plan to sell them.
As the experience of forum members constantly translate coins from exchange to a purse and back, this is a bad idea. Big risk of losing a wallet.
richan

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:16:02 PM

Keep the majority of your funds in a cold wallet and the amount you intend to trade on an exchange. If the exchange is secured one that offers 2FA , then you can leave most of your funds on it.
beskid

Activity: 252
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:18:10 PM

For today there are some wallets, which simultaneously provide an opportunity both for storing tokens and their trading on the stock exchange.  Such purse-exchanges include, for example, Bitshares and Waves.  The storage of funds in these purses is much more reliable and at the same time they enable you to exchange for other tokens.  Of course, the volume of trade here is still much less than on large exchanges.  But if trade is not a priority for you, then this issue should not bother you.
renny1992

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:21:03 PM

I believe that if you have to do trade keep them on the exchange. if they are long-term investments, better keep them on the wallet
cryptonero

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:24:08 PM

If you are planning to trade you should put it ofcourse in exchanges,because you cant use your wallet to trade coins.The risk of using exchanges wallet to store big amounts of coins would have more risk than you are losing in a trade.Hackers will find their way o get some openings from these exchanges that is why exchanges themselve doesnt promote storing coins in exchange wallet if you are not trading the risk of chances an exchanges could be hacked would be 5050 because there is no safe system.

nakauten

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:44:18 PM

I have a question.

What is better? To keep your coins on some Exchange site or to open wallets for each coin?

I would like to hear some advice.  What are pros & cons of each option?

Thanks
If you are into trading you need to put your coins to exchange's wallet so you can trade it with your prefered pair like btc/usd btc/eth so on and so forth.But if  you arent going to trade it is suggested to put your coins to a hardwallet which is most secured type of wallet today.Ledger or trezor wallet would be fine because they have almost the same features but different in physical appearance you should move your coins into a wallet because exchnages might be hacked and all your funds will be lose.

btcpara

Activity: 182
Merit: 22

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:50:38 PM

1) An exchange is where you buy/sell cryptocurrencies. A wallet is where you keep cryptocurrencies you’ve bought or have received.

2) No, an exchange cannot be a wallet. However exchanges usually come with a wallet.

Coinbase, for instance, is an exchange and the account you create with them already comes with a wallet from them. This wallet is controlled by you but “owned” by them. I say owned because if they’re website crashes you have no access to “your wallet”. That’s why most people suggest you create a wallet using example [MyEtherWallet](myetherwallet.com) where you are in complete control.

3) No. You need an exchange or interface to send or purchase cryptocurrencies. However you don’t need any of these to receive cryptocurrencies from someone who is sending to your wallet address. You don’t even need to be online. It’s rather that person who needs the interface to send to you.
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:54:53 PM

I have a question.

What is better? To keep your coins on some Exchange site or to open wallets for each coin?

I would like to hear some advice.  What are pros & cons of each option?

Thanks

Always store or save your tokens in wallets where you have 100% control over the private keys. Only use exchanges for trading - not saving or storage. The reason being: Exchanges control the private keys and/or access to your tokens when you keep your tokens in their wallets. As proven with Mt. Gox, Cryptsy and the likes, it is best not to fully trust them.

In addition, hardware wallets such as Trezor and Ledger - bought from official sellers - go a long way when it comes to full ownership, convenience and security. Such wallets also make it easy to store multiple tokens in multiple wallets in a secure and convenient manner.
2drive

Activity: 85

The world is flat...

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:56:42 PM

I have a question.

Thanks

50%/50% This option gives an opportunity to react to market jumps, and in part to receive additional earnings.

---- Where is my money ppl!? ----
krhnrhn

Activity: 462
Merit: 306

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:58:01 PM

Wallet is better than exchange! İt is under your control. Control is important!
CryptoCY3366

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:04:12 PM

Leave only coins you plan on trading a lot on the exchange, leave your long term holds on a cold wallet offline unless your staking them for mining rewards but make sure your staking wallet is totally secure, for instance the DEEP ONION wallet runs on top of the TOR network as has several layers of security. Try and make sure you yourself don't get hacked revealing your private keys.

https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1760267
DeepOnion - Tor Integrated - 100% Anonymous
===> Join DeepOnion Team NOW! <===
Raymondavid47

Activity: 546
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:07:08 PM

In my opinion it's safer to keep your coins and tokens in your wallet because they are safe there.
Exchanges get hacked sometimes and your coins and tokens will be lost if it happens eventually.
So to be on the safe side its better to use Wallets for storing your coins and tokens
Kunlejoe0

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:10:26 PM

Imagine the access to your house is managed by third party security company that you must get in touch with every time you want to get in and exit your house! Would you feel safe? Could there be security breaches because you are not in control of your building? Putting your coin on exchange is like handling your security to third party!
disam

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:18:19 PM

I have a question.

Thanks

it depends on the strategy what you want to do. I keep some fiat and coins/tokens for short term buying/selling on an exchange, and all the other tokens on my ledger. If you are a daytrader you wont have time to transfer tokens from hardware wallets to exchanges to make a trade, but also everyday an exchange gets into some trouble so keeping everything there is not clever. Cryptorush, Mintpal, Cryptsy and some others took some of my coins when they sunk.
Yaunfitda

Activity: 2856
Merit: 593

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:20:14 PM

I have a question.

Thanks

It boils down to how much money to you have in an exchange. If the amount is huge so its better to store it to a wallet that you have control of the private keys. In an event of a hack in a trading platform, your money will be gone 100%. I advise just put enough money on a exchange for your trading activity and transfer most of your money in a secured wallet you own.

I'm sure that you heard about hacks in a exchanges and people bitching out that they lost a lot. Well, let that be a lesson for all of us. I say do not put everything on a trading platform. Don't be another statistics on the growing number of people losing money in a exchange because it was stolen by a hacker.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
efeyigit399

Activity: 252
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:22:34 PM

advancing technology is affecting the crypto money market. exchange sites offer safe shopping. but the wallet is another. a much safer platform than the other.
Skroojee

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:22:47 PM

I think that in any case you will need a purse. No, of course, you can keep money only on the exchange, but still have to start a purse. And I think that in this case the multi-currency MyEtherWallet will be the best choice.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
DanWagner

Activity: 214

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:26:08 PM

Like most people here a wallet and especially a hardware wallet is the safest and makes the most sense. Only when you hold a very small amount ,$100 or less it isn't worth it to take it off because of the fees. And make sure to do your research on the exchanges you are using , usually there are red flags around the bad ones.
antolinicio1

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:30:05 PM

I have a question.

Thanks
How come such question even occurred? Smiley The best way to hold your coins is not to keep them on exchange of course. I personally have both Ledger and Trezor and hold my coins there safely.

Long Bitcoin , Short the Bankers
LuckyBtc
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:33:26 PM

I have a question.

Thanks
Depends on your needs. I personally wouldn't keep any crypto on exchange.
If you want quick access to your Altcoin then keep it on a exchange and bear the risk of losing due to hack or getting your account locked or something. 
If you are a long term holder, Better download a desktop wallet and keep it there or better a hardware wallet. (If your Altcoin is supported)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 141 »
  Print  

Jump to: