September 15, 2013, 03:44:58 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2015, 10:15:46 AM by marcotheminer

Closed
roflmao129

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:36:41 AM

Paypal accepting bitcoins would be awesome!

marcotheminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:42:03 AM

Paypal accepting bitcoins would be awesome!
Yes, yes it would be awesome!
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 06:28:32 AM

Bitcoin means we do not need Paypal any longer. Paypal is everything that is wrong with fiat transactions with high fees and moral-right stance

QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:36:50 AM

Bitcoin means we do not need Paypal any longer. Paypal is everything that is wrong with fiat transactions with high fees and moral-right stance

This is true.  We don't need PayPal when you can determine your own economic destiny.  The only use in PayPal accepting bitcoin would be for publicity, which I guess would be sort of good.  But all in all...no.
marcotheminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:48:42 AM

yeh, but i can see paypal accepting bitcoins in the near future so that people can purchase BTC through them instead of going through complicated processes on exchanges
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 07:22:31 AM

yeh, but i can see paypal accepting bitcoins in the near future so that people can purchase BTC through them instead of going through complicated processes on exchanges

I can't, because this is not their business model. They are a processor of fiat transactions and nothing more. This is like asking a regular bank to also become a currency exchange.

The best way to get Bitcoin is to do something to earn them, and aside that, at least support true Bitcoin businesses in obtaining them. Paypal is a dinosaur to which Bitcoin is a giant asteroid on a terminal path to the surface.

Professor James Moriarty
aka TheTortoise

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:29:32 AM

But you have to Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's , we are dealing with horrible companies like mtgox and so on , people have troubles putting in the money and taking it out and so on , if paypal were get into this even at a SLIGHT level (I am not expecting them to buy sell bitcoin just accept it as a currency) it would mean much more people would get into it. Peter Thiel is already invested in bitcoin and since he is in the mafia he may convince them to accept it Cheesy
faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:45:22 AM

I dont sign it and I dont use PP.

its best thing going here me too not using this and not signing this

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 07:53:38 AM

PLEASE, no.

PayPal is terrible. Bitcoin is not made to work with PayPal and it never will.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:57:25 AM

This is useless petition - paypal has no interest in supporting BTC or any cryptocurrency - it is against their business.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 08:58:11 AM

This is useless petition - paypal has no interest in supporting BTC or any cryptocurrency - it is against their business.

This as well, all this "we are looking into Bitcoin" bullshit is just stalling. Even if it's not, why would you want to use it? So you can lose money to PayPal fees?

Anon135246

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:01:58 AM

I'll sign it to help people who will actually use it. I don't use paypal, mostly for the reason Diamondcardz mentioned...
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:56:44 PM

Why would anyone use paypal, especially bitcoiners Huh

If things go wrong you are pretty much fucked for 6 months in case of blocking your account without reasons.

Not to mention their frequent errors in dispute resolution (scammer's dream came true).

One of the many interesting lines from their TOS (it's worth to read through):

If you do hold a Balance, that Balance represents an unsecured claim against PayPal and is not insured by the FDIC. PayPal will combine your Balance with the Balances of other Users and will invest those funds in liquid investments in accordance with State money transmitter laws.

monkeybars

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:14:06 PM

PayPal could perform 3 important functions in the crypcoin economy the way I see it:

1) Vendor accounting services a la BitPay. They have far more resources and existing customers and could probably provide a much more fullfeatured service if they tried, because of their extensive resources.

2) Money transmittal a la Ripple. This also fulfills an exchange role, which PayPal would be well suited to take on as they've already paid all the states' fees for money transmitters.

3) Adding services on top of Bitcoin such as remittance.

All of these functions would surely promote the Bitcoin world greatly. PayPal is a private company and doesn't give a shit about fiat or not fiat. Their mandate is profite, pure and simple. Bitcoin or fiat is irrelevant to them. If they think they can make money by supporting crypcoin, they will. If not, forget it.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 07:32:06 PM

Paypal could...blah blah blah...the way I see it:

1) Vendor accounting services a la BitPay does not mean shit, yes, it lets you spend BTC, no, the vendor is not accepting BTC, they are accepting USD via a service. Not helpful. (and please don't start some shit about making PayPal into a wallet with a Bitcoin balance)

2) Money transmittal a la Ripple...God help us all.

3) Adding services on top of Bitcoin such as remittance. ...can't we already do this?

PayPal is a private company and doesn't give a shit about fiat or not fiat. Citation needed.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:20:33 PM

Sign it today guys! The target is at 300,000! Lets do this!  Cheesy
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/paypal-on-bitcoin
Whether or not I support it... I just don't see this happening, so...
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:04:51 AM

I support Bitcoin but I DONT support PP.

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 04:51:19 PM

There's another discussion on this same topic, and I repeat I will not sign, nor do I wish paypal to accept BTC.

Please, don't sign. BTC shall replace paypal.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
zeta1

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 04:54:58 PM

Good petition, they already seemed to have taken an eye on bitcoin. Google the interview. it doesn't seem very close though
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: