Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:46:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple XRP surge open source and ZipZap news!  (Read 28011 times)
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:37:36 PM

The fact that people can still buy above 10k/BTC is insane.  I wouldn't expect this to last much longer and likely the last time we'll ever see prices like this again.  

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
colour

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:57:00 PM

True, but, OpenCoin interest is aligned with all XRP holders. And the ripple market is also much more transparent than conventional markets. Anyone can watch the OpenCoin addresses (like we can watch Satoshi addresses). And everyone can see the amount of funds entering and leaving gateways. Compare this to the current bitcoin exchanges, where whales and exchange insiders have an exclusive knowledge of fund flows, and therefore a huge information edge.

There is no way to prove that OpenCoin isn't "giving away" the majority of their XRP to addresses which actually are controlled by OpenCoin (or their employees) themselves. They would have to reveal the identities of the users behind those addresses for that, which is not going to happen as it would compromise the privacy of these users.
Elokane

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 06:49:21 PM

Who are the major servers right now?
Are there other gateways besides Bitstamp?

Synereo: liberating the Internet from abusive business models.

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master.
<br>
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:15:50 PM

has anyone else thought that some of the xrp given away went to OPENCOIN and that they are selling them for btc at "market price" and that the btc  they get is how they make their money Wink rinse and repeat

jkkkkkkkk

ok
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:35:38 PM

There is no way to prove that OpenCoin isn't "giving away" the majority of their XRP to addresses which actually are controlled by OpenCoin (or their employees) themselves. They would have to reveal the identities of the users behind those addresses for that, which is not going to happen as it would compromise the privacy of these users.
We drafted the XRP distribution plan. If we thought keeping 80% of the XRP was best, we would have decided to do that. I don't see any benefit to us doing it deceptively and, of course, there's significant risk to doing things that way.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
clipcoins (OP)

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:36:58 PM

has anyone else thought that some of the xrp given away went to OPENCOIN and that they are selling them for btc at "market price" and that the btc  they get is how they make their money Wink rinse and repeat

jkkkkkkkk

One of the main reasons I got into XRP in the first place is that OpenCoin's entire stated business plan is to make money from XRP price appreciation.

So their motives are aligned with XRP holders/investors/speculators.  They want the price to go up and they will do whatever they can to make it go up....which only benefits you if you are holding XRP.

Opened Now: Clipcoins.com
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:10:03 PM

has anyone else thought that some of the xrp given away went to OPENCOIN and that they are selling them for btc at "market price" and that the btc  they get is how they make their money Wink rinse and repeat

jkkkkkkkk

They do sell XRP to fund operations and that's never been a secret. Selling XRP is their only means to monetize. As was just said, this is a benefit not a negative.  A for-profit company has it in it's best interest to see the value of XRP rise and with that, they can actually pay developers and staff to help insure the success of the network. Especially as they not only head into open source but as the federation of payment networks and the addition of major gateways and market makers begins to kick into high gear.

Now the thought that OC would be selling most of their supply through the internal exchange wouldn't make much since, as the market depth could not handle that kind of influx and prices would just crash.  Not in their best interest.  Selling XRP in bulk to gateways and market makers however, is a much smarter way of getting operational funding from XRP, without affecting the order books.  Where do you think BitStamp gets their XRP supply from?  Their own order book?  I think not.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
clipcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 11:22:33 PM

XRP holding strong at just near .01.  I thought it would pull back more before shooting upwards even more, but looks like it isn't going to do so and should take it out in the next day or less.  

tyranosaur

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:29:32 AM

We drafted the XRP distribution plan. If we thought keeping 80% of the XRP was best, we would have decided to do that. I don't see any benefit to us doing it deceptively and, of course, there's significant risk to doing things that way.

You cannot possibly believe this to be true. You must think we're all idiots. There are 100 billion reasons for you guys to lie about the giveaways and zero risk of getting caught if you did.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 04:18:17 AM

You cannot possibly believe this to be true.
Maybe I'm being naive, but I genuinely do believe it. I believe that every single XRP we give away, we give away because we believe that best furthers the long-term prospects for Ripple as a payment network and that is in the best interests of OpenCoin.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
clipcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 04:54:03 AM

You cannot possibly believe this to be true.
Maybe I'm being naive, but I genuinely do believe it. I believe that every single XRP we give away, we give away because we believe that best furthers the long-term prospects for Ripple as a payment network and that is in the best interests of OpenCoin.

Yes well again, OpenCoin's stated (and open) business plan is to make profits from XRP price appreciation.  So by definition, everything they do is going to try to get XRP to go higher, in both the short-term, and long-term.   

So unless someone is accusing individuals in the company of blatant corruption (which I haven't heard), then yes all the giveaways, secret or not, is still designed to get 1 XRP to be worth more and more.

You can criticize how they are going about it and think they are making mistakes, but doesn't seem logical to question their overall motives.

Anyway back on topic, XRP is still hanging out just below .01.  Volume seems to be kind of low the last fwe hours but seems to usually go up overnight (in terms of USA east coast hours). So I don't know if that means big buyers in Europe or Asia or what, but that has been the trend for awhile.  So should be interesting to see where it is in 8 or 9 hrs.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:56:08 AM

I'm going to guess that the open source release will be crippled in some way.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:20:00 AM

not much volume in btc/xrp if you convert value to usd.  if volume starts going over 100k usd, i might take a look.  right now it's up in the air. but who knows.  it's a good project and wish them all the success.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:34:14 AM

The real question is will Ripple be able to work in a fully decentralized way?

XRP is still going to be worthless - as it should be - by the way.

You're counting on rationality of market participants. Count again.

this.  same thing was said about btc 3 years ago.  look at it now.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
AmazonStuff

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:01:14 AM

This small thread name has the small piece of future and explains what Ripple network brings to Bitcoin community:

1. Anonymity... Does MtGox provide anonymity, does any other exchange do that? Now after BitStamp goes with AML verification, what other bitcoin exchange is anonymous?
2. You will be able to exchange any currency, coin, alt-coin for any currency, coin, alt-coin...
3. This kind of anonymous Ripple gateways will start popping out like a mushrooms after the rain.

This is the clear evidence why Ripple network is complementary tool with Bitcoin and why Ripple will just strengthen Bitcoin, no more centralized Bitcoin Exchange Websites.
viboracecata
Legendary

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:39:59 AM

This small thread name has the small piece of future and explains what Ripple network brings to Bitcoin community:

1. Anonymity... Does MtGox provide anonymity, does any other exchange do that? Now after BitStamp goes with AML verification, what other bitcoin exchange is anonymous?
2. You will be able to exchange any currency, coin, alt-coin for any currency, coin, alt-coin...
3. This kind of anonymous Ripple gateways will start popping out like a mushrooms after the rain.

This is the clear evidence why Ripple network is complementary tool with Bitcoin and why Ripple will just strengthen Bitcoin, no more centralized Bitcoin Exchange Websites.

Exactly. Wink

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
Elokane

Activity: 817

Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 09:31:53 AM

That is awesome.

Synereo: liberating the Internet from abusive business models.

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master.
<br>
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:57:57 AM

I'm going to guess that the open source release will be crippled in some way.
Well, it will be "crippled" in the sense that it is not too likely that suddenly everyone and their mother puts the node someone just brought online in their UNL - so someone unknown starting to run rippled would have limited impact on the actual network initially.

"Crippled" in the sense of for example "not being able to take part in consensus at all" or "can only run testnet" is unlikely, as there would be need for major restructuring of the code base to even remotely accomplish that. Also it could trivially be patched back in. I would recommend them to make rippled start by default in testnet mode (as a lot of nodes coming up at the same time might overload the p2p network with requests for historic data) with mainnet only available with command line switches or non-default config settings, but other than that I see no indications for "crippling potential" other than the mentioned "network killing itself due to sudden influx of nodes" scenario, which is not really part of the source code.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:05:54 AM

Well, it will be "crippled" in the sense that it is not too likely that suddenly everyone and their mother puts the node someone just brought online in their UNL - so someone unknown starting to run rippled would have limited impact on the actual network initially.

"Crippled" in the sense of for example "not being able to take part in consensus at all" or "can only run testnet" is unlikely, as there would be need for major restructuring of the code base to even remotely accomplish that. Also it could trivially be patched back in. I would recommend them to make rippled start by default in testnet mode (as a lot of nodes coming up at the same time might overload the p2p network with requests for historic data) with mainnet only available with command line switches or non-default config settings, but other than that I see no indications for "crippling potential" other than the mentioned "network killing itself due to sudden influx of nodes" scenario, which is not really part of the source code.
Nah, crippled as in "starting your own fork requires proprietorially and unreleased software". Will Ripple be open source or free software? There's an important distinction.

Apple has open sourced parts of Mac OS X, iOS, etc, http://opensource.apple.com/ , but that doesn't mean OSX or iOS is free software. Bitcoin is free software. Regardless, having source available is a good step forward.

You have GOT to be kidding. DividendRippler is not a currency exchange for starters, and even if it was it doesn't do fiat at all.

It's true that with Ripple there will be no more centralized bitcoin exchange websites. There will just be a centralized bitcoin exchange website. Claiming that trading via Ripple is more decentralized is like claiming that by using a desktop gox interface you're no longer trading on centralized bitcoin exchanges.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:22:53 AM

So is the Ripple XRP a different kind of bitcoin and if so, how is it different/better?

http://www.newfination.com/2013/08/01/the-ripple-network-review-what-is-ripple/4103/

XRP is down about 70% from its highs, which is why I think it should really surge on this news once more people find out about it.

How do we buy XRP
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: