Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 06:36:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto Descriptor - Short Descriptions Of Alts! https://cryptodescriptor.info  (Read 331 times)
cryptodescriptor (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 08:49:36 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2018, 09:02:16 PM by cryptodescriptor

Crypto Descriptor has a simple search box where you can enter the name (or ticker) of any coin or token you want to find more information about. It makes life much easier for people wanting concise, to-the-point, readily-available descriptions without going through the hassle of clicking on multiple google links and skimming through complicated, bloated explanations.

Currently, Crypto Descriptor has info for the top-200 coins on coinmarketcap.com (excluding some new additions) but we are constantly striving to learn, understand, and display information in a noob-friendly, easily-accessible fashion.

https://cryptodescriptor.info/

Check it out and do not be afraid to leave feedback here.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 04:38:00 AM

bump

No no no... One bump per 24 hours please.

Read the rules.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
minthit

Activity: 327
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:12:49 AM

Nice one. But, for me, the description are too short and not noob-friendly. I still have to do google search for most terms. Why not start with categorizing them into coins and tokens (ETH or NEO) and just say which purpose these coins aim to accomplish. Good luck with the project btw. Smiley
Vasilkoff

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:31:45 AM

Very nice idea, but very small information. Is not better just to go to coinmarketcap.com instead?
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:32:10 AM

Make the site indexable by google bots and prepare your sites SEO, so that the new crypto currency users will find your site and get information about the crypto currency they searched.
cryptodescriptor (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:27:51 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2021, 09:12:56 PM by cryptodescriptor

Make the site indexable by google bots and prepare your sites SEO, so that the new crypto currency users will find your site and get information about the crypto currency they searched.

One thing I need to work on is SEO. I realise google works more favourably towards sites that have multiple pages and none dynamically loaded content (javascript). I did create metadata description tags but when I google "cryptodescriptor.info" the description is the dymanic javascript coin description content, strange. The title did change and I did that at the same time as the description and keyword tags so I am unsure what is wrong. If you have any tips or could help me with a bit of SEO I would hugely appreciate it!
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 3465

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 06:35:23 PM

Since you're aiming to provide noob-friendly information, then I suggest to add a feature that upon hovering on some of the keywords, it gives a brief information regarding each of those words (so users won't be forced to search for those in external sites).
- A lot of words fall on that category (not that noob-friendly).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cryptodescriptor (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:08:59 AM

Since you're aiming to provide noob-friendly information, then I suggest to add a feature that upon hovering on some of the keywords, it gives a brief information regarding each of those words (so users won't be forced to search for those in external sites).
- A lot of words fall on that category (not that noob-friendly).

Good idea. Currently working on implementing this. I was wondering if you could provide me with a list of words you would find hard to understand the meaning of from a noob POV. Here are the ones I have so far:
Peer-to-peer
decentralized
decentralize
scalable
scales
scale
Decentralized applications
Dapps
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 3465

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 04:58:30 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2018, 05:45:55 AM by SFR10

Good idea. Currently working on implementing this. I was wondering if you could provide me with a list of words you would find hard to understand the meaning of from a noob POV.
Sure. Apart from your list, the following should be included as well:

1. Master key
2. Proof-of-stake
3. Node
4. RFID
5. Supply chain management
6. ERC20 token
7. Off-chain
8. Segwit
9. Lighting network
10. Cross-chain atomic swaps
11. ASIC resistant
12. Proof-of-Work
13. API
14. Smart contracts
15. CoinJoin protocol
16. PPC
17. SHA256D
18. Quantum Resistance
19. Hierarchical Deterministic (HD) wallet
20. I2P
21. Multisig

Take note: Just finished updating it but make sure to double check (in case I missed some).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cryptodescriptor (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:47:09 PM

Good idea. Currently working on implementing this. I was wondering if you could provide me with a list of words you would find hard to understand the meaning of from a noob POV.

1. Master key
2. Proof-of-stake
3. Node
4. RFID
6. ERC20 token
7. Off-chain
8. Segwit
9. Lighting network
11. ASIC resistant
12. Proof-of-Work
13. API
14. Smart contracts
15. CoinJoin protocol
16. PPC
17. SHA256D
18. Quantum Resistance
20. I2P
21. Multisig

Take note: Just finished updating it but make sure to double check (in case I missed some).

Thanks. I have made progress. This should be part of the site sometime this week (possibly within the next few days).

https://i.imgur.com/waEWicR.png

https://i.imgur.com/iCv3EbU.png

Works nice on mobile too.
exchange.blue

Activity: 420
Merit: 40

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:50:12 PM

there are so many sites made based off coinmarketcap api...a bit more creativity would be nice Smiley
cryptodescriptor (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:53:16 PM

Are you implying my site uses coinmarketcap api? The only relevance cryptodescriptor has to coinmarketcap is the link-backs to the price charts for convenience purposes.
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:54:53 PM

1. Don't link the coin to coinmarketcap,instead link them to their official website/github.
2. On hover,you added information that's nice but also add links if the wish to know more about the subject.Dapps for instance.
3. Use a sort method to list the coins like
   - New to old
   - MarketCap low-High (let user select or specify the limits)
cryptodescriptor (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:06:03 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2021, 09:18:29 PM by cryptodescriptor

1. Don't link the coin to coinmarketcap,instead link them to their official website/github.
2. On hover,you added information that's nice but also add links if the wish to know more about the subject.Dapps for instance.
3. Use a sort method to list the coins like
   - New to old
   - MarketCap low-High (let user select or specify the limits)

1) I think coinmarketcap is a better place to link to because they have the feature where you can find the project website already (as well as nice price charts).
2) Good idea, I may add an anchor for linking to other pages in my website where users can read about the topics in more detail
3) I am not sure if the masonry plugin that I used for displaying the bootstrap cards will allow sorting. I know the developer of this plugin also has one called "Isotope" which definitely does allow sorting. But changing this now is not something I am prepared to do, so this is a feature I would work on somewhere down the line.

I am a solo developer working on this project so undertaking too many things at once is not possible, but I am always open to suggestions and I thank you very much Smiley
zoinkydoink

Activity: 69

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:18:21 PM

hey man,
I actually just hired a writer to do this for me for every coin (going to use it on kryptocal.com).
We can collaborate on this, do you have telegram/skype?
cryptodescriptor (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:36:00 PM

hey man,
I actually just hired a writer to do this for me for every coin (going to use it on kryptocal.com).
We can collaborate on this, do you have telegram/skype?

PM me your skype. We can talk  Smiley
cryptodescriptor (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 04:04:27 AM

1. Master key
2. Proof-of-stake
3. Node
4. RFID
6. ERC20 token
7. Off-chain
8. Segwit
9. Lighting network
11. ASIC resistant
12. Proof-of-Work
13. API
14. Smart contracts
15. CoinJoin protocol
16. PPC
17. SHA256D
18. Quantum Resistance
20. I2P
21. Multisig

CHANGELOG

Added the descriptions from above (on hover).
Fixed masonry layout bug (occured on certain screen sizes)
xdrpx

Activity: 616
Merit: 603

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 11:45:26 AM

First of all, I like the way the website is structure in the form of blocks / views and also appreciate the initial effort you've put in to formulate a short description of the various cryptocurrencies. After spending some time on the page I had a couple of ideas that popped up on the top of my head and would liek to share them with you inorder to add information / resources for the visitor to dig deeper into a particular cryptocurrency. At the same time I've also had some questions on the currently methodology used to sort the coins on the front page.

My ideas to improve user-engagement and to provide more information to the readers:

1) Within each block, for example: Right on the top I see Zencash and ZCoin, would it be possible to add few links in the form of icons to their whitepapers, youtube channels [official] and / or a youtube video explaning about the cryptocurrency and also maybe sometime in the future a way to compare different cryptocurrencies based on block times, speed, fungibility and the algorithms used? This could provide more information to the user if the reader would like to digg-in further about a coin. You can still keep the descriptions in the block fairly short, but also at the same time provide more resources for further learning.

2) Provide a way to sort cryptocurrencies Alphabetically, based on advanced search criteria's like coin age, based on characteristics like "Privacy focused coins" or "DAG based coins".

3) Provide a way to share information / link to a particular cryptocurrency description or their resources.

4) On hover over a special icon within a block, provide information directly from coinmarketcaps api or another api about the market cap, price and some interestic metrics if many users agree to this idea.
masterkrypto

Activity: 78

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 01:19:32 PM

Hi, as a noob in crypto, I find the descriptions quite comprehensible - thanks for sharing. I think the concept is simple, transparent, and has a clean layout to it. Overall I can see how Crypto Descriptor could help some traders create that short cut for themselves when they need to screen some of the tokens they might be interested in.

On side note, as an social media analysts, I think there could be some improvements to help acquire more users and increase user retention. For example you might want to consider implementing the coin's social feeds and additional features such as latest news and events. Some of that information are indeed already on coinmarketcap, but you would want to set a value-added feature on your website. Otherwise people would rather stay on coinmarketcap or go directly to the page of the particular coin.

Also I can help promote your website on my social media channels if you are interested.  Twitter: masterkrypto1 
cryptodescriptor (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 08:54:50 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2018, 10:08:59 PM by cryptodescriptor

First of all, I like the way the website is structure in the form of blocks / views and also appreciate the initial effort you've put in to formulate a short description of the various cryptocurrencies. After spending some time on the page I had a couple of ideas that popped up on the top of my head and would liek to share them with you inorder to add information / resources for the visitor to dig deeper into a particular cryptocurrency. At the same time I've also had some questions on the currently methodology used to sort the coins on the front page.

My ideas to improve user-engagement and to provide more information to the readers:

1) Within each block, for example: Right on the top I see Zencash and ZCoin, would it be possible to add few links in the form of icons to their whitepapers, youtube channels [official] and / or a youtube video explaning about the cryptocurrency and also maybe sometime in the future a way to compare different cryptocurrencies based on block times, speed, fungibility and the algorithms used? This could provide more information to the user if the reader would like to digg-in further about a coin. You can still keep the descriptions in the block fairly short, but also at the same time provide more resources for further learning.

2) Provide a way to sort cryptocurrencies Alphabetically, based on advanced search criteria's like coin age, based on characteristics like "Privacy focused coins" or "DAG based coins".

3) Provide a way to share information / link to a particular cryptocurrency description or their resources.

4) On hover over a special icon within a block, provide information directly from coinmarketcaps api or another api about the market cap, price and some interestic metrics if many users agree to this idea.

Hi, as a noob in crypto, I find the descriptions quite comprehensible - thanks for sharing. I think the concept is simple, transparent, and has a clean layout to it. Overall I can see how Crypto Descriptor could help some traders create that short cut for themselves when they need to screen some of the tokens they might be interested in.

On side note, as an social media analysts, I think there could be some improvements to help acquire more users and increase user retention. For example you might want to consider implementing the coin's social feeds and additional features such as latest news and events. Some of that information are indeed already on coinmarketcap, but you would want to set a value-added feature on your website. Otherwise people would rather stay on coinmarketcap or go directly to the page of the particular coin.

Also I can help promote your website on my social media channels if you are interested.  Twitter: masterkrypto1  

Thankyou for your feedback. I am glad you like the initial website layout Smiley

Regarding you questions about the how I sort the coins on the front page. Currently, I query the database and ORDER BY DESCRIPTION for the initial list. I do this because a lot of the descriptions are empty for now and I do not wish to display them. In the future I will possibly add a feature which allows users to sort cryptocurrencies based on market cap and other things.

For now, my top priority is to have individual pages (actual website pages) for each cryptocurrency, and use widgets (or APIs) to display price information/upcoming events ect, along with the descriptions I have already created. This will help me boost the websites SEO and also provide users with good additional content so they don't have to go elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: