Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:38:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU fans started failing, had to improvise a little  (Read 10446 times)
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:20:26 PM

Replacements are $12.50 each including shipping from Sapphire and they are super easy to replace.
Isn't sapphire only selling led versions, that slightly different (0.35 vs 0.42 current, different noise floor). Only place I've found CF1015H12D selling is single lot on ali, that not available anymore, and it was $26.5 per fan. So, can you tell where are you getting such cheap replacements from sapphire directly?

The replacement black fans are available from Sapphire. Email Sapphire at tech@althonmicro.com. The LED fans are for retail stores.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theodrim

Activity: 78
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:35:05 PM

The replacement black fans are available from Sapphire. Email Sapphire at tech@althonmicro.com. The LED fans are for retail stores.
Thanks. This is worldwide or USA only (according to their contact form this address if for 'USA Technical Service')?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:40:41 PM

I don't know, but if you email them they should be able to tell you who to contact or look it up on their website.
ggbtctalk000

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 09:39:47 PM

I bought bunch of gtx1080 founders edition and rig strix. I am running on lowest power possible at 90w and fans are turning much slower than full 180w. How far do you think i can go with these??
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 06:50:59 PM

As you are probably LOSING efficiency going that low, I'd not bother trying any lower - and there's a pretty good chance the cards won't let you go below 50% of their factory TDP, I've yet to see any Nvidia Pascal-based card that would (unless the factory TDP was WAY higher than "stock" for that GPU).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ggbtctalk000

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 06:54:29 PM

90w was most efficient for founder's edition for rog strix most efficient range appears to be around 100-120w. Yes you are correct, it does not let go lower than 90w.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2018, 09:38:11 PM

This is what I bought.
Amazon Link

I figured ~22.50 per fan was worth it.... to get it without the ebay fuss.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:22:35 PM

I will never buy Gigabyte gpu's ... I've heard that their fans are shit ever since I've been in this game.

It's not only gigabyte, asus too. EVGA and Sapphire are the best .

Metroid, I like it a lot when you post as a sane person.  I'm tried of replying to your posts with the number to the suicide hotline.

No offense to you whatsoever, but some of the stuff that you post is way out there.  If you can predict the future based on your sources, more power to you.  But most the the people who you call trolls are saying you are the troll.  1 vs 999M loses every time.

So it's not just me...
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 04:36:20 PM

Asus and gigabyte probably outsource all their fans and junk together, so identical in every way, stay away from their products.
As a matter of fact, I think ASUS have upped their game.
I have 14 ASUS RX 570 Expedition OC (arguably the cheap GPU line) and they have ball bearing fans. So far none of them has failed in 11 months (touch wood). I remember my old rig back in 2014 sported Asus R9 280 DirectCU II GPUs and one fan died within 3 or 4 months of use.

On a sidenote, I wonder what would happen if one decided to RMA a GPU nowadays. If said GPU is out of stock or discontinued, what are they supposed to send you back?
Paractor

Activity: 274
Merit: 133

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 04:40:25 PM

I was watching an old video about gpu fans and the person who was doing the video said that they need to be have oil applied to them every few months of constant use because they are rubbing against metal at one time if the oil dries out.
Which they will eventually.

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 04:41:38 PM

The best thing is to leave only the heatsink and mainboard and put some delta 3000rpm fans and forget it.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2018, 01:06:37 AM

When ASUS begins to fully secure their coolers to the card, Ill consider them once again;  but it will be hard to sway me away from EVGA's quality.

ASUS's problem is most of the time their cooler isn't held on by much but the die's screws.    if you bump the card or PCIE cable slightly in the wrong way, you end up needing to disassemble and re-paste it.

Maybe on their most recent stuff they have begun to do this;  but last I checked, it was still the same old crap.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2018, 03:18:12 AM

Given that the OP was able to replace stock fans with a more power efficient one, i'm thinking of doing the same for all my GPUs. Electricity is more expensive from where i mine so this is would boost profitability considerably while keeping my GPUs cooler. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Just wondering, can the fans be placed back and the GPU restored to its original state incase resale is needed?
Any other pros/cons of doing the same as OP?

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
FFI2013

Activity: 906
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 03:34:55 AM

All the fans on my gigabyte windforce 270's shit the bed I was going to start using them again until the gpu prices go down but I'll have to cob some fans on them so agreed gigabyte fans suck
Souran (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 09:43:56 AM

Given that the OP was able to replace stock fans with a more power efficient one, i'm thinking of doing the same for all my GPUs. Electricity is more expensive from where i mine so this is would boost profitability considerably while keeping my GPUs cooler. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Just wondering, can the fans be placed back and the GPU restored to its original state incase resale is needed?
Any other pros/cons of doing the same as OP?

It is possible, the fans are usually attached to the shroud, and depending on the card, the shroud is usually attached to the card through some screws (the gigabyte ones I had only needed 4 screws, but will require a magnetic screw driver as it isnt easy to reach screws spots).
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 10:19:23 AM

All the fans on my gigabyte windforce 270's shit the bed I was going to start using them again until the gpu prices go down but I'll have to cob some fans on them so agreed gigabyte fans suck

I had a lot of these crap fans fail also.

Basically get some floss, pull the blade out and reoil the bearing. Should be good for a few more months.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Ultegra134

Activity: 1540
Merit: 744

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 07:18:49 PM

Hello All,

Just wanted to share my funny experience with these cards I purchased around a year ago.

The cards Im talking about are the Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RX570GAMING-4GD#kf
They are pretty much the worst cards I got for mining, even though I bought them early on for 160$ each, and I got 30 of them.
At first they were great, amazing value for money and ROI, elpida memory, they do 29.5mh/850mh eth/dcr; and 900 h/s on cryptonight.

They worked great for 10 months, and then the fans started failing; these fans can not handle dust at all. They are very poor in cooling; and unless I set the fans at 80% or more, the gpu temps would easily reach 75C.

The funny thing is that half of my cards would have the rear fan failing, either completely stop working, or work at a much slower rpm; to the point that I had to only mine cryptonight due to the lower power requirement for the algorithm compare to dual mining.

So I got this idea..

A week ago, I purchased these fans: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-Original-Delta-AUB0812VH-pwm-DC12V-0-41A-80mm-computer-cpu-case-axial-cooling-fan/32541022969.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Fy7LDH
And these splitters: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SATA-Port-to-10-Way-12V-3-4Pin-Computer-CPU-Cooling-Fan-Splitter-Hub-with-PWM/32842778420.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Fy7LDH

Removed the shroud and fans from the gpu, and stuck the new delta fans I got on the heatsink (using some metal wires, and a bit of clamping).
and this is the result
https://image.ibb.co/hSBvY7/IMG_20180213_WA0006.jpg

Currently, out of all the cards I have; Nitro+ Limited Edition, XFX GTS Edition, Nitro+ 570 8GB, and Powercolor Red Dragon golden sample; these cheap elpida cards are my favorite xD

Temps on the gpu are at around 39C under the same conditions, and they consume less power (compared to the original fans, 12v @0.5A, the new ones are 12v @0.41A).

So I lose the warranty, but I've already recovered their cost and much more, and they still run perfectly, so I am very happy Cheesy

Now im thinking to do the same for all my other cards, and probably turn one of the AC units I got off to save on electricity
Not necessarily bad, however, why didn't you just buy replacement fans matching your GPU? You could easily find on eBay or AliExpress, with the same diameter and they would have been plug and play.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Bimmber

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 11:12:21 AM

I experimented a bit today, removed plastic shround with fans from my Palit Gamerock 1080ti and attached two 120x1200x25mm fans directly to radiator:

https://www.tme.eu/html/gfx/ramka_375.jpg

SUNON EEC0251B1-A99

These fans blow like crazy, 183 m3/h, 3100rpm.

It made no difference at all to the temperature  Sad Sad Sad  Very surprised. I expected quite large drop of temperature, but got nothing. Put original fans back.
longware

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 01:33:52 AM

PLEASE READ!

It has become evident that there is clearly quality issues with the fans Gigabyte's Windforce series graphics cards. I have come across hundreds of forum posts with people claiming they have had the following issues:

- Loud fan noises
- Fans failing to spin
- Bearing failures
- Fans hitting other internal components

Upon attempting to return their faulty graphics cards to Gigabyte or their retailer in which they purchased them from, many have experienced complete denial of any issues with the fans, some have been told they were using them for GPU mining - when they weren't, and many have still experienced the same issues after the repaired or replaced graphics card has been returned to them.

In my case, I was unlucky enough to purchase 120 of these graphics cards for my IT business to sell - So far, we have had over half of these fail which has caused irreparable damage to my business as my customers who purchased the graphics cards did not want to use any Gigabyte products anymore and demanded refunds. Since returning the faulty cards to my supplier only 4 weeks after purchasing them, I was completely denied of any refund and the cards were eventually repaired and sent back to me.
Although offering a warranty repair is a better outcome than nothing, these cards have been still experiencing the same issues so they have absolutely no resale value - I mean, who would purchase a graphics card that can't even survive 4 weeks out of a 3 year warranty?

I have since engaged a lawyer and will be taking the matter further.

The reason I have started this petition is because I know that there are potentially thousands of people who have experienced this poor quality issue from Gigabyte. For Gigabyte to turn around and deny any quality issues is absolutely unacceptable. I mean, google even has an autocorrect for "gigabyte windforce fan issues".

As far as I am aware, this only involves the Windforce series graphics cards - but could involve others.

If your Gigabyte graphics card contains the word "Windforce" this could affect you!

If you have personally experienced any issues with these graphics cards - please get in contact with me

Please share!!
http://chng.it/G9phQGSN
SwissBoo

Activity: 700
Merit: 1

SetupMasternodes.com

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2019, 04:15:27 AM

always clean GPU fans on a monthly basis. Especially if you are mining!

Create Your own Full Masternode VPS without Technical Skills in 1 HOUR
==>  https://www.SetupMasternodes.com  <==
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: