Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:19:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explaining why I've awarded merits on the beginners board  (Read 229 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 12:52:42 PM

I've been awarding merits to some of the posts on the beginners board, and sometimes I post my reason for the award. I'm a bit ambivalent about this, as I don't think that such posts contribute to the thread. I've seen many posts and threads fom new members asking for guidance  about posting, so it would seem that this information could be useful to some.

What do you think is the best approach for me to take? Should I stop, or should I continue to post my reasons for my merit awards? If I am to continue, where is the best place to make my post? Posting in the thread that generated the award is the essiest and most direct method. One alternative that I am considering is to start my own thread in the beginners board, and to list the awards and the justifications in that. That would keep the original thread free of these messages.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 01:06:31 PM

I don't see any point in posting the reason for merit awards. Sure, you can argue that explaining your rationale for sending merit can help others create constructive posts but I would argue with more of a 'show don't tell' method. If users truly want to create quality posts then they would read merited posts and try to figure out why they were merited.
When you have your own unique perspective on constructive post creation it's less of a cookie-cutter recipe for posting and more of your own creative outlook.

Just my thoughts.

Mamaecrypto

Activity: 333
Merit: 215

www.mammycrypto.com Best Browser brave.com/mam025

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 01:07:51 PM

Kudos to you! I do think begginers need a push! It takes time to get to know the community and to truly understand the world of crypto and technology behind it and I think it is a great idea to reward curiosity. That is the way to spread the word about crypto. To let people ask questions about it freely rather than pretend they are a pro on a subject they are not. I am a mommy, fairly new to crypto and I am learning sooo much.
In regards to where you should post it, I think it should be on the original tread with a quote of the original thread. Or private message the person you gave the merit to! You can have your own list as well but I wonder how would you be able to quote the original messages with it in your own topic? Maybe there is a way! I am so new to the forum that I just yesterday figured how to post a bew topic itself 😝. But I really like your idea. I think it is generous of you!

finaleshot2016
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1007

Degen in the Space

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 02:14:50 PM

Beginners trying to push themselves for this merits of yours even though they can't manage or handle some typical discussions. Let's only spectate and read some posts of those persons who are worthy to be given by merits. Then if they are worthy to, merit them and just give him a private message about the thing he/she have done doing a great work. Posting like this could possibly a spam, people know this common things since merit system is a big issue all over the forum.

Everyone could get the reason or the point of sending merit to that post, just using common sense. To be honest, even a normal person could get a reason why they've awarded in such simple things. We respect the criteria or your standards on giving merits but it is good if we are being low key on such things, you're just spoiling them to make some merits, sooner or later it could be the focus of some members here in our forum than reading facts and earning some knowledge. I don't have any problem on your way of participating in our community, It is a great opportunity to give merits to those who are in needs. It is just my opinion sir.

Exploring things is an unique skill should apply of each individuals in here.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 04:57:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, and they have helped me to focus on the project. A few things have become apparent.

I've gone off the idea of posting in the actual thread. One of the things I've noticed in this forum is that some people copy other's ideas - the merit food banks and the infographics are two examples. If others start to copy this idea in an attempt to increase their post count, then threads could become english lessons, and the original theme coud be lost.

I don't approve of the merit food banks,or begging for merits, so anyone posting a link and asking for a review will probably go on my ignore list, and they may be added to my beggars gallery.

It is clear for the numerous questions about posting quality that many people would like some guidance. I'm not sure that I am the right person for this, as I still have quite a few traditional values. I still regard "program" and "color" as incorrect spellings for example. However, I believe that members who are sympathetic to my values are unlikely to fall foul of any forum rules.

I'll start a thread on the beginners board, and include some merited posts with their justification. If it doesn't get much interest, then I'll close it. I'll post the thread on the beginners board rather than here in Meta. I suspect that most new members don't visit Meta, so the thread will be of limited value here.

I've just noticed my merit count - it's 666. Who said Merit is evil. Smiley

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
secondgarlic

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:09:38 PM

Isn't awarding merits for other reasons than quality content against the idea behind merits? I thought the idea was to encourage and promote good content by giving merits exclusively to such posts.

Since there is a limited amount of merits anyway, I'd suggest you to give those merits to posts that are actually good. You're contributing to the overall post quality in the forum in any case, you might as well give the merits to posts that actually deserve them.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 05:41:00 PM

Isn't awarding merits for other reasons than quality content against the idea behind merits? I thought the idea was to encourage and promote good content by giving merits exclusively to such posts.

Since there is a limited amount of merits anyway, I'd suggest you to give those merits to posts that are actually good. You're contributing to the overall post quality in the forum in any case, you might as well give the merits to posts that actually deserve them.

I think you have misunderstood my my merit award policy. I only give merit ot post and posters that I think are helping to move the forum back to the vibrant helpful community that it was when I joined. That excludes the beggars, the ICO and sig spammers, and those who can't be bothered to structure a message worthy of posting. Why do you believe that that is against the spirit of the merit system?

NITCoinOfficial

Activity: 28
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:55:37 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

I think you should make a separate thread for your merit awards and explanations. You could give the merit awards without explanation, of course, however, I understand your need to justify your position. Not everyone is aware (especially on the beginners board) of why some posts get merit and others don't. Your thread would serve as a good example for others, who have not yet achieved any merit awards, as to what your expectations are. I understand that everyone who has the ability to give merit can do so using their subjective point of view. Your thread can be used as a sort of "guide to good posting", so it would be useful to have it all in one place.
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:58:14 PM
Merited by SmartIphone (5)

I've been awarding merits to some of the posts on the beginners board, and sometimes I post my reason for the award. I'm a bit ambivalent about this, as I don't think that such posts contribute to the thread. I've seen many posts and threads fom new members asking for guidance  about posting, so it would seem that this information could be useful to some.

What do you think is the best approach for me to take? Should I stop, or should I continue to post my reasons for my merit awards? If I am to continue, where is the best place to make my post? Posting in the thread that generated the award is the essiest and most direct method. One alternative that I am considering is to start my own thread in the beginners board, and to list the awards and the justifications in that. That would keep the original thread free of these messages.

For me if i have merit, since i break up QuestionAuthority's merit activity, there is nothing wrong to award merit in the beginners board, everybody has their own way in this merit system. I will merit posts as long :
1. I find the post is constructive
2. Have an information in it
3. They can deliver it with a good choice of word
4. I have sMerit
I guess i only need that 4 categories to award merit to a post, since "good" or "great" is really a subjective word, it is hard to find an exact category to it. Congrats on 666 merits, you can now say sMerit as satan Merit  Grin.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 06:07:48 PM

I think you should make a separate thread for your merit awards and explanations........................

I gave you a merit because I liked your logic.

I might have been influenced by the fact that I've just gone through 5 pages of the beginners board, and I couldn't find one post to award. Smiley

The post were either about things that I didn't want to award for ICOs, Merit, alts ( should have been on an alt board), or had a title that was meaningless, etc.

NITCoinOfficial

Activity: 28
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:27:53 PM

Wow, thank you for my first merit. It's hard work trying to find good posts in the "beginners" section, since well...everyone in there are just beginners. So yes, I think "why I give merit" threads from more experienced forum members is an important task and such threads should be pinned and read by all beginners. I was just replying to the thread "Good posts not rewarded with merits" and saying I got 0 merits, I'm happy to find it untrue now Smiley
secondgarlic

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:56:16 PM

I think you have misunderstood my my merit award policy. I only give merit ot post and posters that I think are helping to move the forum back to the vibrant helpful community that it was when I joined. That excludes the beggars, the ICO and sig spammers, and those who can't be bothered to structure a message worthy of posting. Why do you believe that that is against the spirit of the merit system?

I mean, if that's all you are doing, then more power to you, I somehow thought that you were awarding people just because they were newbies.

But I'm not sure the additional explanations will help, that's what I was thinking. The beginner board is also full of the same topics as everywhere else: "Can bitcoin be trusted?" or "I have $500, which coin should I buy" and so on. I appreciate you trying to encourage the beginners, but the content quality is pretty much same everywhere; you could do what you're doing not only on the beginners board but anywhere else as well.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 07:24:51 PM

I agree, and that's why I gave a merit here. However, I think it is worth running the thread on the beginners board, and maybe that will give them some encouragement. I don't really differentiate on the basis of rank, sex, nationality, colour of your mouse, or stuff like that, but rather than posting every award, I thought I would just list the posts by the first couple of ranks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: