Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:12:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between Altcoin and Bitcoin?  (Read 741 times)
LegGekkouga (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:34:57 PM

Besides from the spelling, what are the differences of bitcoin from altcoin. Thank you.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ SNAPCITY ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Geo-location adventure game ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄ TOKENSALE   ❱ ❱  ANN   ❱ ❰  BOUNTY ▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SakinaPrincess

Activity: 217
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:41:43 PM

Alt coin = alternate coin
Bitcoin was the first ever crypto currency invented, so every coin came in market is an alternate coin, we call them altcoin in short.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform  
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
alieknov

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:43:16 PM

Bitcoin is the foremost coin of all time. I think it is more precious than altcoins.
Altcoins has so many varieties as you would say it. There are eth, dogecoin, and many more.
Bitcoin has so much value than altcoins and it is harder to earn.
Lewoll

Activity: 196
Merit: 14

I don't think sMerit harvesting is a serious crime

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:43:58 PM

Besides from the spelling, what are the differences of bitcoin from altcoin. Thank you.

Bitcoin is the first Blockchain in the Market, it is the mother of all Cryptocurrencies. It is the first main architecture of Blockchain and developers are currently maintaining it's foundation to protect the network from attacks and hacks.
Altcoins are it's offspring and it is called Alternative coins - that is other coins and not Bitcoin, the source codes are 100% from Bitcoin's core code.

That's why people pud their trust and money into Blockchain because it is 100% transparent and reliable.

There are some valid answers for this comparison but I hope mine will do, straight from my understanding.

CoinboyBebop

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:51:24 PM

Bitcoin was the first cryptocurrency. All coins who came after bitcoin are called Altcoins which means alternative coins. So its just a name, because all other coins are like bitcoin based on a blockchain. They have just some technically differences, like the blocksize or the time of transaction. Bitcoin was one of the first and thats why its actually so slow. Many altcoins who came later have bigger blocksize and fast transaction with lower fees.
shandi albert

Activity: 308

FXPay.io

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:39:35 PM

This question is very often discussed, I just want to add my knowledge.
Since the advent of bitcoin in 2009 made the cryptocurenccy experts compete to create another new coin that resembles such a bitcoin, this is what is called ALTCoin, where ALTCoin is moving according to the existing exchange rate of bitcoin, most people use ALTCoin as the fastest way to collect bitcoin.

Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:45:01 PM

Altcoin was building from bitcoin protocol which means it looks an improvement version of bitcoin itself. I remember when litecoin was born from the bitcoin code. Someone was sharing bitcoin code and then the litecoin team and charlie lee made litecoin from there. But remember there will be more and more altcoin with a lot of improvements soon.
Bitcoin still becomes the main pegged value for altcoin.
Nhebu

Activity: 616

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:47:37 PM

Bitcoin is a digital currency performed by cryptography, it used as payment system and storage. Altcoins are made next to bitcoin and I think it is a short term for alternative coin. They have the same usage but they are different in blockchain technology.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:55:02 PM

Bitcoin is the main coin of the cryptocurrencies and those altcoins are like modified, fork coin and aspiring coins that has their own use. Like in world's economy of currencies, dollar is on the main stage while other countries currency are just following the market of USD.
Bitcoin is like USD.
Altcoin is like other currencies from different countries.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
turkandjaydee

Activity: 1456
Merit: 567

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:56:54 PM

Bitcoin was used to be a currency , but I think now it has become a store of value.
Its not backed by real business but it has the largest share of crypto market.

And altcoin,
Some of altcoin are backed by a real company and maybe more valuable than bitcoin, but its not as popular as bitcoin yet.
auroboros

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 02:00:11 PM

BITCOIN is the world's first crypto currency created by Satoshi nakamoto in 2009

Altcoin is another coin apart from BITCOIN which is very much like Ethereum, waves and DASH
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 02:00:22 PM

isn't it already too obvious?
the name is the definition already! altcoins, alternative coins or in other words alternative coins to bitcoin. anything that is not bit coin is called altcoins.

they are all based on the same technologies more or less. i'd say about 85% to 90% of them are useless junk or pure copycats which shouldn't even be alive. and the rest are interesting ideas that has remained "ideas" so far without any real world applications yet.

at least bitcoin is an actual currency that people actually use. even if it is on a small scale now.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
LegGekkouga (OP)

Activity: 77

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 02:49:30 PM

Alt coin = alternate coin
Bitcoin was the first ever crypto currency invented, so every coin came in market is an alternate coin, we call them altcoin in short.

Owww so that's why its ALTcoin. Thank you very much.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ SNAPCITY ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Geo-location adventure game ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄ TOKENSALE   ❱ ❱  ANN   ❱ ❰  BOUNTY ▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
nitin8263
Copper Member

Activity: 1568
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 12:31:14 PM

Bitcoin is the first crypto currency and the demand of the bitcoin is all over the world. Altcoin is just part of bitcoin because all crypto currency depends on bitcoin.

greggypiggy

Activity: 141
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:35:46 PM

Bitcoin comes first before altcoins. As of now bitcoin is much superior compared to altcoin. It is more famous than altcoin.  There is also difference in earnings. Bitcoin takes longer period of time before your investments gets profits. Altcoins only takes short period of time to earn but smaller than bitcoin.
Jabiii

Activity: 200

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:41:50 PM

Altcoins are alternate coins while bitcoin is the first ever made coin. Bitcoin is way more valuable than any altcoins.
Altcoins are many like eth, dogecoin etc. bitcoin is much better than any other coins. So I suggest you focus more on bitcoin.

GIGZI INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
Crowdsale Starts on 23rd November 2018
Telegram   Medium   GitHub   Twitter   Reddit   LinkedIn   Facebook
george_hured

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:45:38 PM

In fact, there is no difference, it's just a well-established name, because bitcoin appeared first, and all other crypto-currencies did not bring any more technologies, such as blockchain, because this technology brought bitcoin
ronnis.gomes

Activity: 518
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:53:59 PM

All coins are called altcoins except the BTC that was the pioneer to enter in this market.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:55:16 PM

the difference is that bitcoin is what you first heard about and brought you here and possibly even interested you in the whole thing. and altcoins are those that you heard some time after you got involved with bitcoin and you found them because you were looking for making a lot of profit and they were getting pumped. Wink

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Restmand

Activity: 979
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:01:29 PM

Bitcoin is oldest and the firat cryptocurrency that made. So it is precious to others because bitcoi  is lived for long years. There are many difference between the alternative coin and bitcoin. In the price, we see the price between the bitcoin and altcoin are very big differences. Also in being stablize. So it means that the bitcoin are more valuable than altcoins
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: