Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 05:46:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie assistance!  (Read 3906 times)
lavameh (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:09:32 PM

I doubt many people who know what they're talking about check the noobie section, but I finally found where I can make a post at after 23 minutes of searching.
I just started mining recently, and got GUIMiner, and joined Slush's pool. Now after checking the "Hardware" section, i see a post where someone's using a NVIDIA 8800 GT and is supposed to be getting 25Mhash/s or something like that. I have a NVIDIA 8500 GT and i'm only getting 800khash/s. Wtf is that. His is newer/better but why the hell am I getting such pathetic rates? Even at 25Mhash i read that you're spending more in power than you're making, so like even running on my parents paying power bill (I'm 15) it's not even worth me taking their money in power lol. Can someone help me out and figure out why the hell it's so pathetic?
Full report :
Code:
NVIDIA System Information report created on: 09/18/2013 15:07:35
System name: *my name*-HP

[Display]
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce 8500 GT
Driver version: 320.49
Direct3D API version: 10
CUDA Cores: 16
Core clock: 500 MHz
Shader clock: 1026 MHz
Memory data rate: 666 MHz
Memory interface: 128-bit
Total available graphics memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated video memory: 512 MB DDR2
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 3583 MB
Video BIOS version: 60.86.41.00.85
IRQ: 18
Bus: PCI Express x16
Device Id: 10DE 0421 230B1682
lavameh (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 01:53:41 AM

Oh my, that is sad.
I just realized I've been running off my CPU instead of my GPU, but even still I'm only getting 2Mhash/s. Can someone give me an estimate of what I should expect for payment per Mhash/s? Like an average or something?
Also what do you get, assuming you don't have some decked out mining machine? (Also curious what your decked out machine is getting though Smiley )
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 04:34:55 AM

Oh my, that is sad.
I just realized I've been running off my CPU instead of my GPU, but even still I'm only getting 2Mhash/s. Can someone give me an estimate of what I should expect for payment per Mhash/s? Like an average or something?
Also what do you get, assuming you don't have some decked out mining machine? (Also curious what your decked out machine is getting though Smiley )

Well I have never heard of an 8500 so I am guessing that it is a low end graphics card... Which seems about right, 2 mhashes... Right now even if you get 333 mhashes you still won't profit more that 0.05 a month....

sasuke234

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 05:47:56 AM

If you don't have an asic, don't waste your time mining.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 08:56:32 AM

Well I have never heard of an 8500 so I am guessing that it is a low end graphics card...

Indeed they are. Look at this piece of shit. It's like the 90s all over again

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4681

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:02:22 PM

I doubt many people who know what they're talking about check the noobie section,

You are incorrect.

but I finally found where I can make a post at after 23 minutes of searching.

You really should pay more attention to the things you agree to before you agree to them.

I just started mining recently, and got GUIMiner, and joined Slush's pool. Now after checking the "Hardware" section, i see a post where someone's using a NVIDIA 8800 GT and is supposed to be getting 25Mhash/s or something like that. I have a NVIDIA 8500 GT and i'm only getting 800khash/s. Wtf is that. His is newer/better but why the hell am I getting such pathetic rates?

Because yours is older/worse.

Even at 25Mhash i read that you're spending more in power than you're making, so like even running on my parents paying power bill (I'm 15) it's not even worth me taking their money in power

Correct.

lol. Can someone help me out and figure out why the hell it's so pathetic?

It's because you are using pathetic equipment.
mrca

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 03:26:49 PM

Hi,
I'm also new to mining, but from my six weeks experience, this is what I learned:
 - CPU/GPU mining for bitcoin is dead: even if You have free electricity, there is the cost of equipment/ equipment depreciation... including ventilation... Not to forget the time invested in setup, etc. Time is also money!

- ASIC mining could be the path (Erupter prices are falling) BUT there are small chances to break-even (also with free electricity) with them (i.e. the USB Erupters). Anything more  - if You have a few thousands to spent, You could buy an equipment that could make a difference (although there are statistics that could prove me wrong: http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/)

- I try a mixed approach - with litecoins and bitcoins, mainly because of merchants availability
(I see no use in a coin only for exchanging it: an economy could not survive this way...)

I'm sure There are many wiser guys here, but hope I was of some help...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: