Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:51:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspi + D-link dub h-7+ asic erupters problem  (Read 1626 times)
Pablito89 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 11:52:49 PM

Ok guys, i go straght to the problem.
Why the hell my raspberry crashes after 10-15 mins of mining?
I actually got only 1 D-link dub h-7 with 6 asic usb erupters connected. Then the hub goes to the raspi. Got ethernet connection on raspi.
h/s is really good (330-340 each asic) but everytime after 10-15 mins my raspi crashes and stop mining... i need to force reboot it...
Could it be a power issue? My raspi got a 5v 2A power supply..

Thanks for the help guys..

edit: using cgminer 3.4.x
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tk1337

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:05:36 AM

Ok guys, i go straght to the problem.
Why the hell my raspberry crashes after 10-15 mins of mining?
I actually got only 1 D-link dub h-7 with 6 asic usb erupters connected. Then the hub goes to the raspi. Got ethernet connection on raspi.
h/s is really good (330-340 each asic) but everytime after 10-15 mins my raspi crashes and stop mining... i need to force reboot it...
Could it be a power issue? My raspi got a 5v 2A power supply..

Thanks for the help guys..

edit: using cgminer 3.4.x

Well, I could only get the D-Link H7 to support 5 Erupters total...

As for the crashing though, after upgrading to CGMiner 3.4.2, I was crashing daily with about 15 erupters, upgraded to CGMiner 3.4.3 with 24 total erupters (4x Rosewill RHB-500, one used as root, the others from the root, each hub has 8x erupters) and it would crash about every hour on CGMiner 3.4.3. The other day I switched MinePeon to use BFGMiner, so far my up time is 1day 23hr 19min (as of this posting) without a single restart or issue.

I also have a test rig on a cheap'ish usb hub (that has enough power to run 6), it never would run more than 4 with any version of CGMiner... it's been running 6 after switching to BFGMiner for about the same amount of up time as above. No issues, no problems...

And another odd factor in this, when I did get CGMiner 3.4.3 to run on my 24x setup, I was seeing around 3-5% hardware errors, which I couldn't explain... after switching to BFGMiner, I'm seeing 0.73% since it's been running...
demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:09:31 AM

Ive been using 3.1.1 with my pi and not a single issue. However i would recomend using 5 erupters.
A good guid to follow for the pi
http://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/initial-setup-and-assembly

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
Pablito89 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 11:19:19 AM

it's crashed with 5 too...  Cry
i'm trying with bfgminer and 5 erupters... hope..
techman05

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 01:14:55 AM

I also have a test rig on a cheap'ish usb hub (that has enough power to run 6), it never would run more than 4 with any version of CGMiner... it's been running 6 after switching to BFGMiner for about the same amount of up time as above. No issues, no problems...

And another odd factor in this, when I did get CGMiner 3.4.3 to run on my 24x setup, I was seeing around 3-5% hardware errors, which I couldn't explain... after switching to BFGMiner, I'm seeing 0.73% since it's been running...

So where do we find a nice how to on getting bfgMiner up Wink

I found this here https://deekayen.net/xubuntu-precise-bitcoin-mining though I'm not sure if you have to enable devices like with cgminer or if I need any more installs than cgminer https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bitcoin-discussion/3238-super-tutorial-raspberry-pi-raspbian-cgminer-tightvnc-wifi-boot.html (I haven't gone through instructions yet to see).
----------------------------
 cd ~
mkdir bin
git clone https://github.com/luke-jr/bfgminer.git
cd bfgminer
./autogen.sh
make
------------------------------

Like the info address for potential tips Wink
BTC 1CL5BnNhdL2wDVmSDwMbW1cNhZew87CAPV
* http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=563
tk1337

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 03:30:12 AM

So where do we find a nice how to on getting bfgMiner up Wink

I found this here https://deekayen.net/xubuntu-precise-bitcoin-mining though I'm not sure if you have to enable devices like with cgminer or if I need any more installs than cgminer https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bitcoin-discussion/3238-super-tutorial-raspberry-pi-raspbian-cgminer-tightvnc-wifi-boot.html (I haven't gone through instructions yet to see).
----------------------------
 cd ~
mkdir bin
git clone https://github.com/luke-jr/bfgminer.git
cd bfgminer
./autogen.sh
make
------------------------------

That's pretty much it man, unless you want to support blades then I still think you need to install the libmicrohttpd before making bfgminer.... I'm actually setting up bfgminer with blade support on the 2nd rPi now instead of having the blades point to the other pi (which has all the erupters on it).
terrapinflyer

Activity: 602

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 08:19:04 AM

Im running 32 erupters on 4 dlink 7 ports and one 10 port off brand that hold 8 sticks on cgminer 3.1.1 with no problems highest errors I see are 2% but usually stays around 1%. I reboot about every 24hrs when I can, I sometimes see errors in one or more chips for more then a few secs if that happens I just reboot until it clears.
tk1337

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 09:19:48 AM

Im running 32 erupters on 4 dlink 7 ports and one 10 port off brand that hold 8 sticks on cgminer 3.1.1 with no problems highest errors I see are 2% but usually stays around 1%. I reboot about every 24hrs when I can, I sometimes see errors in one or more chips for more then a few secs if that happens I just reboot until it clears.

I know ckolivas and the other developers are trying their best at CGMiner and they've all done a great job. However, when people are saying 3.1.1 is more stable than 3.4.3, that's just a lot of revisions in between to go from stable to unstable. Everyone that's running CGMiner and it's 'stable' or 'without issues' (in regards to using USB Erupters) always states they are running 3.1.1. I know there's be some blame on libusb, but how is it 3.1.1 is more stable than 3.4.2 or 3.4.3 for one set of devices. It would be my basic assumption that something in the code base has been overlooked somewhere between 3.1.1 and where we are now.

I'm on the latest of BFGMiner, haven't had to restart in over 4 days (might be 5 days now), no weird reports on any numbers, everything is stable and doing it's job. It's my opinion to be efficient & things working correctly, you shouldn't have to restart every 24 hours or even every week/month.
terrapinflyer

Activity: 602

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:40:56 PM

I know ckolivas and the other developers are trying their best at CGMiner and they've all done a great job. However, when people are saying 3.1.1 is more stable than 3.4.3, that's just a lot of revisions in between to go from stable to unstable. Everyone that's running CGMiner and it's 'stable' or 'without issues' (in regards to using USB Erupters) always states they are running 3.1.1. I know there's be some blame on libusb, but how is it 3.1.1 is more stable than 3.4.2 or 3.4.3 for one set of devices. It would be my basic assumption that something in the code base has been overlooked somewhere between 3.1.1 and where we are now.

I'm on the latest of BFGMiner, haven't had to restart in over 4 days (might be 5 days now), no weird reports on any numbers, everything is stable and doing it's job. It's my opinion to be efficient & things working correctly, you shouldn't have to restart every 24 hours or even every week/month.

I have left it up for days with no problems. I only restart because Im OCD and I like to fiddle with the miner.
Xwolf

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 01:11:41 AM

You need to pay attention to how many amps your Hub can produce.

I have a 10 port Hub that is only 2.5amps therefore I can only successfully mine error free with 5 USB Miners.  Since this hub has 5 useless ports for mining I'm returning when the DLink's I ordered get here.

There are several DLINK 7 port hubs out there and each will support different amount of miners.
1) the DUB-H7/B will only support 4 as it is rated at 2.4 amps.
2) the BUBH7A A5 will also only support 4 as it is rated at 2 amps.
3) the EUBH7EB HW Ver. B1 should support 6 as it is rated at 3 amps.

There is only a handful of HUBS out there that will natively support 7 USB Miners and are rated at 3.5 amps.
1) Delock's B/N87467 rated at 3.5 amps
2) Cyerpower High-Speed Hub CP-H720P, rated at 3.6 amps
3 Belkin Hi-Sped USB 2.0 7port Hub F5U237 is rated for 3.8 amps so should handle 7.

There's a couple more on this list that are 7 ports and at least 3 amps on this list.
http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs

There could be others as well not on this list.

They key is the rating of the Power the hub can handle.  You must have .5 amps per port on the HUB to properly run your miners.

Some people have hacked their USB Hubs to actually get .5 amps to each port.  Usually ending up with some melting Smiley  some however don't.

The DLINK above that should be able to 6 seems like a good one as it leaves one port open to daisy chain the next hub.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: