Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:26:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-09-19 Financial Post - Canadian Mint ready to test its own digital money...  (Read 2615 times)
StarfishPrime (OP)

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 05:29:46 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2013, 11:28:19 PM by StarfishPrime

Canadian Mint ready to test its own digital money project

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/09/19/canadian-mint-pushes-ahead-in-murky-world-of-crypto-currency-with-mintchip-project/

MintChip is dead.... Long live MintChip!

Edit: Be sure to watch the news clip at the bottom of the article, an attempt to explain bitcoin to two news anchors. Destined to become a classic.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 05:33:07 PM

Remember the Mint-Chip challenge? They asked the question: "What would mintchip be useful for?" The #1 answer was "to buy bitcoin". So they took it down and went with another "winner".  Roll Eyes

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
StarfishPrime (OP)

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 05:44:58 PM

Remember the Mint-Chip challenge? They asked the question: "What would mintchip be useful for?" The #1 answer was "to buy bitcoin". So they took it down and went with another "winner".  Roll Eyes

Yes, that was priceless... There's no way this project will fly in a post-Snowden world. One of the developers - or at least someone purporting to be - claimed this was engineered with full government backdoor access.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
monkeybars

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 07:51:46 PM

Hilarious how he has to resort to lies to get people to come onboard:

"What they’re really doing is giving a digital representation of money, and it really requires a federally regulated body to be able to do true digital currency."

Um, no, actually a federally regulated body is the kiss of death for "true" (sound) digital currency.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 10:24:35 PM

"Because its digital, the cost of managing it — and one of the primary responsibilities of government is running the money supply — is much lower. You’re re not constantly replacing lost and warn out coins. Theoretically, instead of an entire government organization like the Mint, all you need is a laptop and a good economist."

Cheesy

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:44:53 PM

Code:
void budgetCheck()
{
    if(CurrentExpenses > AvailableFunds)
    {
        MintChip.DebaseCurrency(1, "Trillion");
    }
}

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:56:59 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 05:14:17 PM by knight22

Remember the Mint-Chip challenge? They asked the question: "What would mintchip be useful for?" The #1 answer was "to buy bitcoin". So they took it down and went with another "winner".  Roll Eyes

I remember that pretty well. They just proved that the Canadian dollar is managed by a bunch of liars and cheaters. Well done Mintchip!

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:28:59 PM

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/09/19/canadian-mint-pushes-ahead-in-murky-world-of-crypto-currency-with-mintchip-project/

Edit: Be sure to watch the news clip at the bottom of the article, an attempt to explain bitcoin to two news anchors. Destined to become a classic.

That video is EPIC.

I love that tec guys enthusiasm but he did a terrible job of trying to explain what it is.  No fault of his own.  It is just difficult to grasp the complex and revolutionary idea of a decentralized currency.

1. You can mine bitcoin
2. You can earn bitcoin
3 You can buy bitcoin

You can use bitcoin to purchase or exchange value with anyone who wants it and who has something you want.

Bottom Line.   If two people agree on the value of a transaction then it is no different then any other transfer of value. 
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 05:55:17 PM

That video is EPIC.

I love that tec guys enthusiasm but he did a terrible job of trying to explain what it is.  No fault of his own.  It is just difficult to grasp the complex and revolutionary idea of a decentralized currency.

1. You can mine bitcoin
2. You can earn bitcoin
3 You can buy bitcoin

You can use bitcoin to purchase or exchange value with anyone who wants it and who has something you want.

Bottom Line.   If two people agree on the value of a transaction then it is no different then any other transfer of value. 

Hah, yeah, he tried, but not very well prepared or presented at all... I think I'm more confused after listening to him... Need to erase this convo from my head...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 08:19:27 PM

Canadian Mint ready to test its own digital money project ...

The [Canadian] Government proposes to implement a 'bail-in' regime for systemically important banks [in 2013 Canadian Government Budget]. (http://www.budget.gc.ca/2013/doc/plan/budget2013-eng.pdf on page 144-145)

Put these two together and you can see why it will be destined to fail long term.  It will become too rich a target to leave alone and will become the government's piggy-bank to hit whenever a 'crisis' hits.  The Canadian Mint may get time from it (if they even get it off the ground), like the did with fiat, and bank accounts, but when you have currency by decree, long term it will fail.

:-)

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 09:20:04 AM

That video is EPIC.

1. You can mine bitcoin
2. You can earn bitcoin
3 You can buy bitcoin

Hah, yeah, he tried, but not very well prepared or presented at all... I think I'm more confused after listening to him... Need to erase this convo from my head...

i love the video. the anchors are so brainwashed. did they ever ask themselves "where actually IS my money on my online banking account?" ? do they really think there is a drawer with their account # in the bank where some clerk has put in their balance in paper money ? back in the old days people always worried about if this strange pieces of paper are really backed by enough gold (and sometimes it wasn´t...) but we have a different problem:

is it backed by gold ? hell no, there isn´t even enough PAPER available for all the money that exists on all these accounts. people like those anchors believe in the intrinsic value of paper money  Cheesy
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 06:37:22 PM

One very significant issue with Mintchip is that the technology is dependent upon propriety drivers with no support for GNU / Linux and OSX. http://mintchipchallenge.challengepost.com/forum_topics/827.  This does beg the question does this technology depend upon security by obscurity and DRM buried in propriety code?

This Canadian simply prefers Bitcoin stored on GNU / Linux.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
xsfgsdrwe

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 09:41:57 PM

That video is EPIC.

1. You can mine bitcoin
2. You can earn bitcoin
3 You can buy bitcoin

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 03:44:59 AM

Yes, and seriously, something like Mint-Chip could very well make it easier to exchange CAD for BTC (and vice versa).  We'll just have to wait and see how irreversible and instantaneous it is.  Something like this might allow both parties of an exchange to send their payments to escrow.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:15:14 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2013, 05:53:41 AM by freedomno1

All mint chip is doing is giving the government the license to track what you spend your money on.
The pseudo-anonymous ledger means that all transactions of any sort can be traced to addresses in the long run.
Bitcoin has the same issue but handing it to the government brings up a whole new ballpark of personal privacy issues.

Seems paradoxial
Government backing a digitial currency but still able to produce as much money as it wants.
Its not really safe to say that an online currency supported by government money printing is a crytocurrency.

The video was
Hmm he tried I give him a few points for it

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 07:41:21 PM

And I would consequently guess based on their web site, no iOS or Android. 

One very significant issue with Mintchip is that the technology is dependent upon propriety drivers with no support for GNU / Linux and OSX. http://mintchipchallenge.challengepost.com/forum_topics/827.  This does beg the question does this technology depend upon security by obscurity and DRM buried in propriety code?

This Canadian simply prefers Bitcoin stored on GNU / Linux.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: