Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:38:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First GENUE LTC FPGA  (Read 3309 times)
kramble

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 06:06:23 PM

I remember reading about another guy trying to get some FPGA to work on scrypt, it kinda looked like the spartan, doing 37 kH/s. And this, and also this scam http://scryptasic.org/   Something big is surely coming along *grinning*

I think that was my open source project (just using the bare FPGA, and NOT using external RAM). One of the contributors got it running on a pretty big altera chip at around that speed. The spartan LX150's are topping out at around 8kHash/sec and probably won't get very much faster than that. It just a hobby project really, but might find some use for the old bitcoin fpga miners rather than just scrapping them (only 15kHash/sec on a Lancelot though, so its not really that useful).

Github https://github.com/kramble BLC BkRaMaRkw3NeyzsZ2zUgXsNLogVVkQ1iPV
Datto

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:22:05 PM

wow
coldbreeze16

Activity: 186

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 08:45:10 PM

I remember reading about another guy trying to get some FPGA to work on scrypt, it kinda looked like the spartan, doing 37 kH/s. And this, and also this scam http://scryptasic.org/   Something big is surely coming along *grinning*

I think that was my open source project (just using the bare FPGA, and NOT using external RAM). One of the contributors got it running on a pretty big altera chip at around that speed. The spartan LX150's are topping out at around 8kHash/sec and probably won't get very much faster than that. It just a hobby project really, but might find some use for the old bitcoin fpga miners rather than just scrapping them (only 15kHash/sec on a Lancelot though, so its not really that useful).

FPGA's had been around before cryptocur and since they can be reprogrammed unlike ASIC's you could just sell them away, right?
kramble

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 09:02:06 PM

FPGA's had been around before cryptocur and since they can be reprogrammed unlike ASIC's you could just sell them away, right?

Quite right, and there is a significant market in reclaimed FPGAs from scrap boards. Though as a seller you'll just be making pennies on the dollar. But its your decision, once bitcoin costs more in electricity to mine than its worth, do you sell your boards for scrap, or use them to mine litecoin? The electricity consumption is an order of magnitude less than GPUs, so that's not an issue. You won't make much return at just 15kHash/sec, but perhaps more than the scrap value, and it still helps the network to some extent.

philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 12:30:37 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2013, 12:59:44 AM by philips

You show little literacy about hardware development and failed to answer a technical question that would not release any vital information about the supposedly privately commissioned product.

Honestly I think you sound a lot like a scammer. Videos don't provide any real proof as they can easily be faked and your grammar and word usage sounds like you are 14 years old.

What do you say?

Not a scammer. This guy made his custom FPGA boards waay back, at the time we were mining with 2-3 GPU cards he had about 70GH or so in FPGA.
He doesn't talk much about his work, actually I am surprised.

As for the grammar and word usage, English is not his native language, so...
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 02:45:57 AM

You show little literacy about hardware development and failed to answer a technical question that would not release any vital information about the supposedly privately commissioned product.

Honestly I think you sound a lot like a scammer. Videos don't provide any real proof as they can easily be faked and your grammar and word usage sounds like you are 14 years old.

What do you say?

Not a scammer. This guy made his custom FPGA boards waay back, at the time we were mining with 2-3 GPU cards he had about 70GH or so in FPGA.
He doesn't talk much about his work, actually I am surprised.

As for the grammar and word usage, English is not his native language, so...

Yeah. I stalked up a bit more and I find this to be correct. Great scott, though. He needs help with not looking like a scammer. he looks like a perfect setup of someone who doesnt know shit about hardware trying to make people think he has a product that can mine LTC at astronomical rates so that they preorder. Just being paranoid. That's all.

Apologies.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 03:22:57 PM

Yeah. I stalked up a bit more and I find this to be correct. Great scott, though. He needs help with not looking like a scammer. he looks like a perfect setup of someone who doesnt know shit about hardware trying to make people think he has a product that can mine LTC at astronomical rates so that they preorder. Just being paranoid. That's all.
Apologies.

I think he just doesn't give a shit about what others think about him.
When it will be ready the product will speak for itself.

Well, yeah...is not hard to be paranoid on bitcointalk, is a scammer paradise. I never seen such an scammers infested place before.
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 03:48:36 PM

I am doubtful that the miner - even if real - is a big deal. The secret to high performance to threaten CPU and GPU mining I'd massive parallelization. Can this even be achieved on any FPGA that doesn't cost a royal fuckton? 

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
kramble

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 03:53:37 PM

I am doubtful that the miner - even if real - is a big deal. The secret to high performance to threaten CPU and GPU mining I'd massive parallelization. Can this even be achieved on any FPGA that doesn't cost a royal fuckton? 

I suspect his price/performance figures rely on sourcing very cheap components (eg reclaimed FPGAs from scrap). Good for him (assuming he's just building his own farm), but its not going to affect the overall network much.

coldbreeze16

Activity: 186

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:03:29 PM

FPGA's kickstarted the arms race in SHA256, they'll do the same for sCrypt and fade into oblivion. Their high price vs even 10X better ratio won't be able let them stick their ground in sCrypt race beginning next year sometime. People are probably already planning ASIC's with on die memory, something FPGA's won't be getting, more so for 'salvaged' FPGA's
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: