Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:04:41 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AIRDROP: Sending zero ETH?  (Read 675 times)
1kings (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 07:38:51 AM

Lately there's an increase in Airdrops requesting bounty hunters to send zero (0) ETH to claim tokens. Of course, one is advised to reduce gwei to 1 or 2.

My question, how safe is this transaction and is it really worth it?
coinmgnet

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 07:42:49 AM

Lately there's an increase in Airdrops requesting bounty hunters to send zero (0) ETH to claim tokens. Of course, one is advised to reduce gwei to 1 or 2.

Usually I stay away from people that request me to send them anything (even 0 ETH) in order to receive the Airdrop or the Bounty.
I don't know if you guys saw, but on Vitalik's Twitter page, there is some guy that is impersonating him and asks people to send 0.3-0.7 ETH to his address and he promises it will give them 3-7 ETH back.
All lies of course, that scammers made a few hundred bucks. So stay away from this type of "Bounties" or "Airdrops".
myrliska1313

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:00:06 AM

I think that a normal airdrop will not be with the dispatch of a transaction, personally I never send a donat. Always at this point I put 0. If to reflect, each participant will send a little eth and the creator of the airdrop is already happy Cheesy
Alliipp

Activity: 374
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:07:51 AM

airdrop come soon wish i get answer from admin soon thank you very much and wish this project go to the moon
Report to moderator 
cryptodairy

Activity: 70
Merit: 8

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:09:57 AM

Usually I stay away from people that request me to send them anything (even 0 ETH) in order to receive the Airdrop or the Bounty.

Me too Smiley

BEAT➢ The Crypto Currency for the World of Sports
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄       INVEST NOW AND GET 100% BONUS        ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
https://beat.sportalliance.co
Coin_Maven

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:14:04 AM

I believe it is safe. When you send 0ETH to the address, that address will received nothing. the 1-2 gwei spent will not be received by that address. I believe the team just want to make sure the airdrop participant is using a valid wallet.
If the team request transferring a small amount of ETH, for example 0.0001. It is most likely a scam. It is profitable when many people send a small amount of ETH to that address.
munareal

Activity: 644
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:14:43 AM

Airdrop is suppose to be free . I wander why Is should be asked to send zero Eth. I do not participate in any airdrop that ask people to send Ethereum  before airdrop will be given.
STIKS1911

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:20:25 AM

I try not to participate in airdrops, where they ask me to send even 0 eth. For me, the safety of my wallet is more important than the airdrop.

chitocrypto

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

For verified airdrops https://t.me/pinoyairdrop

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2018, 08:22:15 AM

You are sending 0 Eth just to trigger the smart contract to send you tokens back. It is safe and would just cost you less than half a dollar for gas. I've participated to 3 or 4 airdrops like this. I received the tokens as stated, of course, their future price is a different topic.

UCHAIN
The Next Generation Distributed Smart Network: Blockchain for the Sharing Economy
https://uchain.world/
Duzenn

Activity: 252

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:28:21 AM

The AIRDROP is safe and requires only some ETH, but they just want to ban multiple accounts.
While this does not actually prohibit multi-account participation, it can increase the cost of participation, and the value of tokens remains unknown.

tole123

Activity: 33

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:36:46 AM

sure it will work and safe as long as you did not leave a private key, there are times when you have to be careful when get coin airdrop
skip60

Activity: 630
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:37:04 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2018, 07:44:35 AM by skip60

they ask you to send that 0 eth to trigger the smart contract.

it is quite safe if you ask me. you can have a new spesific wallet for such airdrops, and use that wallet

i dont see any harm

ryancpk

Activity: 96

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:38:31 AM

To my knowledge, sending 0 ETH is to interact with smart contract to claim the tokens you have purchased. EOS crowd sale is using this approach.

Not a fan of airdrop. So, I would not waste any gas in order to get airdrop.
Ni-in

Activity: 203

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:40:12 AM

I don't know if you guys saw, but on Vitalik's Twitter page, there is some guy that is impersonating him and asks people to send 0.3-0.7 ETH to his address and he promises it will give them 3-7 ETH back.
All lies of course, that scammers made a few hundred bucks. So stay away from this type of "Bounties" or "Airdrops".
[/quote]

There are a couple more impersenators, John McAfee has one, also asking for and promising.  John McAfee has exposed some on Twitter calling them frauds.

I leave those airdrops for what they are, lot's of airdrops the last time, don't even distribute, so certainly not going to send anything myself.
Lot's more to come so i'll be fine with the ones that do drop for free.
1kings (OP)

Activity: 187

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:58:50 AM

To my knowledge, sending 0 ETH is to interact with smart contract to claim the tokens you have purchased. EOS crowd sale is using this approach.

Not a fan of airdrop. So, I would not waste any gas in order to get airdrop.
they ask you to send that 0 eth to trigger the smart contract.

it is quite safe if you ask me. you can have a new spesitic wallet for such airdrops, and use that wallet

i dont see any harm

I believe it is safe. When you send 0ETH to the address, that address will received nothing. the 1-2 gwei spent will not be received by that address. I believe the team just want to make sure the airdrop participant is using a valid wallet.
If the team request transferring a small amount of ETH, for example 0.0001. It is most likely a scam. It is profitable when many people send a small amount of ETH to that address.

Thanks for your contributions. Personally, I don't participate in Airdrops asking for donations but asking for Zero ETH looked really harmless and I am sure nothing is going there just that I pay the tx fees to get the free tokens. Like paying for the taxi to pick a gift.

I just want to be sure they are worth. Loads of them in my telegram alerts.

Once again, thanks.
Karmakid

Activity: 742
Merit: 397

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 11:13:18 AM

I think that it is safe I mean could they open your wallet or take all of your wallet's token if they know your wallet's address?
I think they are just asking for you to send 0 ETH to know that you are participating in their airdrop and to know where they would send it back.
I don't really know if there is a risk in sending them 0 ETH.
trouble401

Activity: 72
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:49:01 AM

As someone who doesn't completely understand all of the risks, I play it safe and never send eth to get air dropped coins.  EthBTC is asking me to do that now so I've decided to stay out.  I'm probably missing out on some free shitcoins, but the best advice I can give anyone is to be a little paranoid.

DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! ⚡ (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1135054)
Zendalet

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:55:36 AM

Maybe it's a way to register your address in their smart contract. Not a lot of risk if the amount of gas and the gas price are reasonable.
Manc89

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:06:21 AM

Its good warning for us and specially for me who dont know much about this kind of airdrop.
I heard this kind of airdrop lately and actually i am interesting to join but thank for your remind.
CryptoClown

Activity: 261
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:15:43 AM

I think it is safe to send 0 ETH to those addresses as it is only their way to check if the ETH address is working. I haven't participated on airdrops like this yet because I don't have available ETH on my MEW for the Gas fee  Grin I will probably try airdrops like this soon.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: