Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 06:50:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Risers 103c fried my GPU's, be aware  (Read 446 times)
stolarzz (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:41:01 PM

Hello
Anyone had an experience with those risers powered through this SATA connector? I pluged them directly from PSU to SATA connectors.
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1o8S2kqagSKJjy0Fbq6y.mVXaH.jpg
I don't know it's just bad luck or what, but all 6 GPU's RX570 pluged into those risers are broken.

After that made a test with the same borard and PSU, and old Geforce 8600 pluged in to old V006c, with the same sata cable from PSU and it started without any problem. After that pluged this card to 103c and again, Gf8600 fried....

Maybe they can't be powered from sata connector and i should use normal 6 PIN, but for what are those connectors then?
giveen1

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:50:07 PM

Your mistake was using SATA to power your risers. SATA can only handle 55W and PCI-E ports needs to pull 75W.
stolarzz (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:55:19 PM

Your mistake was using SATA to power your risers. SATA can only handle 55W and PCI-E ports needs to pull 75W.
Ok but why then risers V006C with cable 6pin >>> Sata works like harm? Made more than 20 rigs with them all powered through SATA and never had any problem, the same with those old red riser only with sata port, they work even with 1080ti.

If there were not enyough power they should not see the card, not burn them i think
SCSI2

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 08:10:39 PM

Were you using same PSU to power your riser and your GPUs?

Can also be a misrouted riser PCB. In that case they will fry GPUs consistently by supplying 12V instead of 5V or even reverse voltage for example. Sorry for your loss and thanks for the heads-up!
stolarzz (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 08:33:02 PM

Can also be a misrouted riser PCB. In that case they will fry GPUs consistently by supplying 12V instead of 5V or even reverse voltage for example. Sorry for your loss and thanks for the heads-up!
Yes always the same PSU to power riser and GPU.

Im going to RMA those cards maybe any chance for raplace, too bad they had modified BIOS, do you think Sapphire check what bios was on the fried card?
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1412

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 11:35:32 PM

Im going to RMA those cards maybe any chance for raplace, too bad they had modified BIOS, do you think Sapphire check what bios was on the fried card?

No problem, I think they will not check the bios.
whitrzac

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 12:26:06 AM

They will however deny your warranty for being stupid.

You dun ****ed up, you have no right to make someone else pay for your mistake.
SCSI2

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 01:05:45 AM

I'm not OP, but wonder what do you mean by mistake in this context?

IMO a properly engineered power delivery circuitry on a decent GPU would've survived a reasonable overvoltage mishap... In the end of the day these are just DC-DC stop-down converters and the good ones do have fairly wide input voltage ranges.

BIOS mods are another story I don't want to touch with a 6-foot pole...
rem26

Activity: 78

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 02:08:17 AM

IMO a properly engineered power delivery circuitry on a decent GPU would've survived a reasonable overvoltage mishap... In the end of the day these are just DC-DC stop-down converters and the good ones do have fairly wide input voltage ranges.

If you plug a GPU into broken ass PCBs and blow them up, you have no reason to expect a warranty replacement on the GPU.

If, for example, they did route the +12 into the 5V, yeah, that's gonna blow stuff up, and probably not something any GPU manufacturer designs for.  To do so would cost an extra $15 per card, at least, so that users can plug them into poorly designed $6 risers...

Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 02:14:16 AM

This model of risers, how they work without the 3.3v mosfet? they get the 3.3v from the usb cable? if thats true then you can't use dual psu with then.
SCSI2

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 03:31:17 AM

If you plug a GPU into broken ass PCBs and blow them up, you have no reason to expect a warranty replacement on the GPU.

If, for example, they did route the +12 into the 5V, yeah, that's gonna blow stuff up, and probably not something any GPU manufacturer designs for.  To do so would cost an extra $15 per card, at least, so that users can plug them into poorly designed $6 risers...

You probably right. If a GPU manufacturer design is lazy enough and uses 3.3V rail straight from PCIe connector to save a few cents on yet another step-down circuit, it may very well blow up in an OV condition.

For the sake of clarity, there is no 5V power going to the GPU. I was mistakenly assuming PCIe has 5V rail, just like the old PCI bus did. It does only provide 3.3V up to 3A plus the 12V of course.

Honestly it's beyond me why they still use a 3.3V PCIe power rail on a GPU which already has like four or five step-down regulators hanging off of the almighty 12V rail...

Speaking of those OP's deadly risers... If that PCB is indeed misrouted, it has to be a really gross error and not a simple input 12/5V wire swap. They must have routed 12V into some PCIe signal pins or straight through to the 3.3VCC rail in order to fry a GPU with it. The DC-DC step-down converter can take a lot of abuse and will definitely survive a 12V instead of 5V input.
SCSI2

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 04:00:40 AM

This model of risers, how they work without the 3.3v mosfet? they get the 3.3v from the usb cable? if thats true then you can't use dual psu with then.

Good question which got me thinking... In all likelihood they produce 3.3V from 12V input using a step-down regulator. On the more recent risers I have on hands (ver: 008C) which also lacks the 3.3V LDO (it's not a MOSFet), they use a newer FR9888 step-down DC-DC IC which is specified up to 93% efficiency.

I still want to understand why up until now they were using two regulators (12V->5V and 5V->3.3V) on all typical ver:006C riser boards. I was under the impression that 5V was required by PCIe bus, which it s not. Strange...
smallbitmoney

Activity: 12
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 05:42:07 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2018, 06:30:14 AM by smallbitmoney

Just sharing my experience and hope to get some valuable comments.

Currently all the risers 103C on 6pin and GPUs are powered by HP Server PSU 1200W; a Corsair 750W PSU power the motherboard and HDD. This has been running flawlessly for over a month. I had earlier power all the risers thru the Corsair PSU using both sata and molex connectors and the HP PSU to power the GPUs. This method also works for me.

However, I have once fried the CPU (ya CPU, not GPU) while all GPUs and risers powered by HP PSU except for 2 risers powered thru the Corsair PSU using sata. I'm not sure if this is not proper perhaps someone could share you thots.

After hearing your incident (TS), I'm not worried I mean I'm getting a bit worried because all my other spare risers are 103C  Undecided
SCSI2

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 06:13:43 AM

I once fried a PPro 200 CPU by dropping a screwdriver onto a motherboard... Smiley

Your powering scheme had probably nothing to do with the death of the CPU. As long as your ground levels on both PSUs were close enough, it should not have caused any problems. While in *most* cases it's fine and some people strongly believe it's The Proper Way to power risers (from the same PSU as the motherboard), in *some* cases it may become a major problem.

For example if your GPU has PCIe and AUX 12V rails connected internally (which is unlikely) and the actual voltages produced by PSUs are different (likely), you will have rather high current flowing through motherboard PCIe ground plane, USB3 cabling and risers, and also the GPU 12V and GND traces which may lead to a meltdown of various degree of severity.

The only proper way of powering GPUs with risers is to treat them as a single "unit" and use the same 12V power source for both, the riser and the GPU. Then you just connect this "unit" to the host (motherboard) via USB3 cable which is not supposed to carry any power in this topology.

Think of it as if you would connect your TV or a monitor or whatever via HDMI or DP or USB-C LVDS cable. Actually they are all very similar to the PCIe interconnect on the physical link level, which is in part the reason they used those off-the-shelf USB3 cables for PCIe riser extension. Even clocks and frequencies are pretty much the same for PCIe 2.0 and USB3.0...
john1010

Activity: 2086
Merit: 562

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 07:23:22 AM

You can only use the 2 sata slot to powerup your riser, using above that number will fry your cable and it could be harm with your gpu.
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 07:30:17 AM

Hello
Anyone had an experience with those risers powered through this SATA connector? I pluged them directly from PSU to SATA connectors.
I don't know it's just bad luck or what, but all 6 GPU's RX570 pluged into those risers are broken.

After that made a test with the same borard and PSU, and old Geforce 8600 pluged in to old V006c, with the same sata cable from PSU and it started without any problem. After that pluged this card to 103c and again, Gf8600 fried....

Maybe they can't be powered from sata connector and i should use normal 6 PIN, but for what are those connectors then?

How many SATA connectors per cable did you use?
djmuler

Activity: 41
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 07:42:15 AM

It is always better using molex directly from PSU to power risers, using Sata conectors is a bad idea, not recomended.

DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! ⚡ (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1704984)
jadefalke
Legendary

Activity: 1457
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 08:08:35 AM

It is always better using molex directly from PSU to power risers, using Sata conectors is a bad idea, not recomended.

molex riser is not a good idea either, they tend to burn espacially with AMD Cards.
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 08:24:05 AM

also, personally my own little tip is to get risers with 4 capacitors (your burned ones have three i see)
those tend to handle loads better
I mean, SATA is a bad idea always imo anyways, go PCI-E for no worries, but get better risers man, they are a big failure point

Lesson Learned! Smiley

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:06:20 AM

Yes always the same PSU to power riser and GPU.

yeah they check them, modified bios voids the warrenty

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: