Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:17:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Long, slow slide  (Read 10222 times)
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:19:45 AM

Question is, what is the "mean" that we will return to?

The long term average value of bitcoins is under a dollar, but even the most pessimistic speculator is unlikely to believe that's achievable unless there is a severe disruption to how bitcoin works (hack, economy collapse, government intervention, etc).

Currently there is a slow and steady trend downwards.  I'm using any upward spikes to sell bitcoins.  Did quite well today at $14.60, just shy of the temporary $14.70 peak.  I'll buy in again should the value drop to $12.50.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:52:59 PM

Look like that CNN video caused the price to spike up. I was wondering why it was in the $12's to bounce back up so rapidly.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
stic.man

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:10:51 PM

it probably had nothing to do with the CNN video and had everything to do with dwolla clearing and gox reinstating euro transfers
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:13:58 PM

it probably had nothing to do with the CNN video and had everything to do with dwolla clearing and gox reinstating euro transfers

Except the Euro transfers weren't reinstated... they're supposed to come up with news on Thursday and they will be reinstated next Tuesday at the latest (so they say).
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:35:02 PM

Look like that CNN video caused the price to spike up. I was wondering why it was in the $12's to bounce back up so rapidly.

As it has probably been explained before, the lag time between getting an account registered, funded, then pulling the trigger on a trade is longer than the time interval between the story and the price increase.

No cigar, maybe check back in a week to see if there was some casual effect.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:56:13 PM

Having just witnessed the two-dollar plus rally from 12.50 just now, I'm not subscribing to the 'slow death' theory either.

How do you know that's not just interventionist policy on the part of some early adopters?

Question 2: if it is, does it matter?

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:02:16 PM

Having just witnessed the two-dollar plus rally from 12.50 just now, I'm not subscribing to the 'slow death' theory either.

How do you know that's not just interventionist policy on the part of some early adopters?

Question 2: if it is, does it matter?

Early adopters would be rich in btc, not in USD. Consequently, while the early adopters are more likely to be able to drive the price of BTC down by selling, they're less likely to drive it up by buying.

There seems to be the conventional wisdom around that the price was on a downward slide, held back every now and then by the intervention of someone putting up a wall. But there is the alternative analysis, which is that the price was on a steady climb, BROUGHT DOWN every now and then by someone putting up a wall below it.

Time will tell, I guess.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 10:23:58 PM

I've had the feeling for some time now that the Bitcoin exchange rate is being artificially depressed. I really wish I had the USD to act on it.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 04:50:03 PM

Mt. Gox, last 4 weeks.

It's been 4 weeks now since Mt. Gox came back up after their outage and rollback. The trend since then is rather clear. On average, Bitcoins are dropping $0.50 to $1 per week. The long, slow slide continues.

This is typical post-bubble market behavior. 
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 06:33:06 PM

Mt. Gox, last 4 weeks.

It's been 4 weeks now since Mt. Gox came back up after their outage and rollback. The trend since then is rather clear. On average, Bitcoins are dropping $0.50 to $1 per week. The long, slow slide continues.

Mr. Weekend I presume Tongue
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:53:59 PM

Mr. Weekend I presume Tongue

Yea a weekend that lasts 4 weeks

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 08:18:03 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2011, 09:13:08 PM by netrin

Bubbles burst not slide.

NASDAQ Composite (tech bubble)

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Milkshanks

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:09:48 PM

But afaik it did burst, from near 30USD to 17ish and then it entered in this "Long, slow slide"

Was my post useful? Tips accepted Smiley
Meu post lhe foi útil? Aceito gorjetas Smiley

15rqJrGMKgfrVrDgg5v7h4KGqgN83pfzuH
netrin

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:18:39 PM

Sure, there is no denying the irrationally exuberant bubble of greater fools from say $10 to $32 in about a week and the subsequent SYMMETRICAL crash. We are now in despair or the lee side bear trap. Maybe 2002 in the tech bubble collapse. But...

The numbers line up well. 1BTC = 100 in the composite index. And one tech year is one week in bitcoin land. Christmas could be analogous to technology stock in 2030. Smiley

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:27:56 AM

Its looking like the slide might be over..finally..

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:27:17 AM

Its looking like the slide might be over..finally..

Funnily enough if BTC's price remains relatively static and doesn't budge from $13 to $14 for the next 3 months that would be the best possible thing to happen to bitcoin.  It wouldn't make the traders and speculators happy, but it would remove the extreme volatility that makes bitcoins very unattractive for real commerce.  Long may the mediocre price continue :-)
netrin

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:18:14 AM

Funnily enough if BTC's price remains relatively static and doesn't budge from $13 to $14 for the next 3 months that would be the best possible thing to happen to bitcoin.  It wouldn't make the traders and speculators happy, but it would remove the extreme volatility that makes bitcoins very unattractive for real commerce.  Long may the mediocre price continue :-)

This old thinking doesn't make sense. Certainly bitcoins, like any other scarcity must plateau, but only after accelerating toward saturation; It's growth rate will initially tend to follow a Sigmoid curve. If we've already plateaued then call me infidel because the bitcoin economy is unsustainable at this level.

It makes sense to me that most growth now is seen in exchanges and utilities. We need liquidity now before we can attract Meze Grills. Merchants need customers and positive speculation brings customers. We are in an early adopter phase. If merchants want to get involved, learn the ropes, be first to market, they'll profit handsomely in the long run. Merchants must also take risk to reap great rewards. Otherwise, we're not ready for them and they are not ready for us.

Bitcoins will continue to have numerous bubbles like a leaf falling in reverse. Swish up, overshoot, slow correction, swish up, overshoot, slow correction, swish up... doubling at minimum each time as we gravitate toward mainstream. If you don't believe this, you haven't quite grasped the potential. There are only two options for bitcoins: Fringe failure or historic disruption.

This Long, slow slide is the beach pulling away before the tsunami.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:18:01 PM

Ah, such a beautiful analogy, thanks.

i am satoshi
netrin

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 01:06:33 PM

Ah, such a beautiful analogy, thanks.

Bitcoin was hit by a perfect storm (massive media exposure, government inquiry, bubble and pop, virus stealing wallets, and hack at the major exchange), the media witnessed the results and was not kind. Whether for love or hate, bitcoin is now on every economists' radar.  The next hundred-day cycle will be in the lime light and that bubble too will pop. The fresh blood won't recognize this pattern even after the fifth round.

cloon

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 02:42:21 PM

bulls are preparing to fight, bears have fear
http://bitcoinity.org/markets?currency=USD&exchange=mtgox

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: