Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:22:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is holding for 1 year considered short term or long term?  (Read 567 times)
quickie69 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:06:56 AM

Many many people say they are holding this, holding that for the "long term" but please tell me what exactly is your guys definition of "long term"?
For me, 1 year is considered long time. I began investing this January and I will hold one year and cash out everything January 2019. So by your definition, is this more short term or long term? Is 1 year enough time to see gains?  Huh
adroitful_one
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1041

1GhxHtabWhEpdb7e7oEJ2vd542n33BwTHR

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:20:14 AM

Many many people say they are holding this, holding that for the "long term" but please tell me what exactly is your guys definition of "long term"?
For me, 1 year is considered long time. I began investing this January and I will hold one year and cash out everything January 2019. So by your definition, is this more short term or long term? Is 1 year enough time to see gains?  Huh

I would consider it long term. Some of my trades literally only take 10 minutes if I get lucky. Yes, 1 year is plenty enough time to see gains. However, the cryptocurrency market has gone down by quite a bit every January for the last few years. So you may want to keep an eye out come December at the price of your coins and sell then.
Thefrolly

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:23:11 AM

One year is long term. And holding for long term is better than short term but not in all cases. You should research where your coin would be in one year. May be it can rise it between and drop again at the end of the year. So you should know what is good for your coins long term or short term.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
CodyAlfaridzi

Activity: 1708
Merit: 541

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:27:02 AM

What most people mean by "long term" is holding through ups and down until they get crazy profit like 10x-100x of initial investment. Cheesy

Yes, for altcoin, you can consider 1 year is long term. I agree with that. If you are investing in a solid and promising coin, 1 year should be more than enough for the dev team to make something that could rise the coin value. It's usually about 6 months.
saenko

Activity: 262
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:18:19 AM

If you look at all, one year is really a lot to get at least a minimum profit. But everything depends on your portfolio and coins. Some even a year do not show what you expect from them and hope.

BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 06:39:57 AM

it depends on a lot of things.
mainly, what coin?
bitcoin is the only thing that i consider worthy of long term investment and long term in that context is 1 year or more. it can be 10 years too.
but altcoins i do not trust as long term. for them any long term is 1 month tops, nothing more.

also it depends on the strategy that you are using.
as a trader, long term hold means nothing. and in altcoin market if you hold, you lose. but if you trade daily and stay in each altcoin for a short time of their pump then you make a lot of profit.

--looking for signature--
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:45:45 AM

For me, 1 year is considered long time. I began investing this January and I will hold one year and cash out everything January 2019. So by your definition, is this more short term or long term? Is 1 year enough time to see gains?  Huh

It if's about BTC or ETH, I'm counting an year as a MID-term.

About alts, I'm counting an year as a long-term, and for some projects even very long-term. Most alts useful cycle is 3-9 months.

tdeannova

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:07:40 AM

1 year has included long-term investment and for short-term investment may be 1 month - 3 months. Everybody has a different perception of this. However, I advise to avoid short-term investments, because the market is not yet normal and hold your assets, if necessary buy back to be a long-term investment.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:14:48 AM

I'd say medium.

Long term is holding indefinitely, until a opportunity comes to sell. For example, when the next pump cycle for bitcoin comes. Long term holding doesn't have to have a minimum amount of years, it's just that you're prepared for anything to happen before that selling opportunity.

1 year isn't short term, and isn't long term. Therefore, medium term investing should be the right term to use.
Starla

Activity: 148
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:23:32 AM

investing to hold for a year I think is too long but for people who are a lot of money does not matter, if I prefer 5 top altcoin to trade every day it can more quickly gain profit
Julen

Activity: 71
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:30:04 AM

I would reconsider setting january 2019 as a fixed date to sell your coins.  As a previous poster mentioned, the market seems to dip every year in January.

What i would do instead is set a value goal, once your coins are there you sell.  If this is in June 2018, so be it, sell, you've got what you want, is it December, fine as well.  It might as well be June 2019 though, that's something you need to keep in mind.

Setting a date might cause you to end up with a loss, break even or enormous profits.

Something to consider i'd say.
Budugbass

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:41:17 AM

For me the investment is more than 6 months and above.. i'd say as long term investment. Which's obviously on my knowledge.. one investment or some investments, will bring us to a high profit if we're able to pick the right coins and can be examine some coins that are worthy adjusting to the holding period that we will do. Well anyway that's good enough for the long term, in 1 year it seems that it can providing a high chance to earn profit, especially holding Btc/Eth i think.
gon

Activity: 460
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 08:05:28 AM

It's industry dependent and yes, here 1 year is a long term holding.

I think an year is a long term in most IT niches. For example, I'm coming from web development niche where FBA sites are selling for 24-36 months profit.
ramsay snow

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 08:34:04 AM

it is not a year long. long-term investment should be at least 2-3 years. it can be considered as a medium-term investment for 1 year.
a lot can change and develop in a year, but you have to pay attention to the coins you choose Smiley

Bittoshi

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:06:23 AM

If you try to hodl and not to trade on a daily basis, holding for a year is some kind of medium term I would say. There are people who hold their coins for years and they can be considered as long term hodlers.

Bitgesell (BGL):  A modern and truly scarce store of value. Burn rate is 90% of tx fee. Yearly block reward halving.

It's just the beginning!
olumyd

Activity: 658
Merit: 117

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:14:58 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2018, 09:27:01 AM by olumyd

In crypto, anything longer than 24 hours is a long-term, because of volatility and the fact that anything can change within a very short period and without a moments notice.

I would say 1 year is a VERY LONG TERM investment.
abahcoin

Activity: 657

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 09:20:29 AM

The long-term investment strategy I do is to buy coins at a low price and take back the investment fund and 10% profit, The rest of the coins minus profit 10% + capital is used as long-term investment.

●                     T H O U   F i n a n c e     || |  |   |    High APY Yields                     ●
●            ████  ███  ██  █   THOU FARM   █  ██  ███  ████            ●

●            [ UNISWAP THOU - ETH ]  Whitepaper  ●  Telegram  ●  Discord            ●
olumyd

Activity: 658
Merit: 117

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:29:57 AM

The long-term investment strategy I do is to buy coins at a low price and take back the investment fund and 10% profit, The rest of the coins minus profit 10% + capital is used as long-term investment.

I see, your strategy is to turn over short-term profits and reinvest capital elsewhere. Good Short-term -:- Long-term game if everything goes according to plan always. 10% is surely more than enough for a short-term investment, and even most banks don't such within a year.
Webberson

Activity: 602

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 09:33:54 AM

Predictions are always made in optimism, as to the height a currency would attain, which is why most people engage in holding a coin for future profit. It should also be known that holding a coin is not a guaranteed success, as the market may take a turn from your anticipated range. Holding for a year is therefore, considered as a long term.

Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:15:44 PM

Everyone has their own perspective. I would say 1 year is very short-term. You are likely to see gains, but nowhere near as much as if you held for longer.
From a traders perspective though, even a few hours can seem long-term Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: