Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:58:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sent/Received addresses mixed up  (Read 876 times)
nmat (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:24:10 AM

I did a really dumb thing. I somehow added my mtgox address as a receiving address in my bitcoin client. What will happen if I transfer bitcoins from my client to mtgox? Where will the money end up?
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 01:43:06 AM

I'm not quite sure what you mean but you labeled one of your receiving addresses as "mtgox"? If you were to send to it, it would just come back to you. It will show up as a payment to yourself.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
nmat (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:10:18 AM

I am kind of confused...

So I have an account at Mt Gox and they I have an address that I can use to deposit bitcoins there (Add Funds menu). I added this address as a Receiving address in the Address Book of my bitcoin client. If I send bitcoins to this address, will it end up at my client or at Mt Gox? Maybe both? (kidding..  Grin)
The00Dustin

Activity: 807

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:21:04 AM

I agree, you are a bit confused, the standard bitcoin client doesn't have a way to cherry-pick your addresses, they are random for all practical purposes.  Do some searching for something like vanity address and you might see a way to choose an address, but I don't believe it is simple or plausible given the computing power available today.  That said, perhaps you pasted the wallet address you use to send funds to mtgox into the description of a receiving address, but the description is not the receiving address and doesn't do anything except ffor provide reference to you.  Depending on just how confused you are, you also might have added it to the sending tab.  On the (far) off chance that you have an address on your receiving tab that is identical to the address you deposit to mtgox at, then you could theoretically send those coins back to yourself after mtgox gives you credit for them, however, they would most certainly give you a new deposit address after that happened once.
bitlotto

Activity: 672

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 02:24:03 AM

I am kind of confused...

So I have an account at Mt Gox and they I have an address that I can use to deposit bitcoins there (Add Funds menu). I added this address as a Receiving address in the Address Book of my bitcoin client. If I send bitcoins to this address, will it end up at my client or at Mt Gox? Maybe both? (kidding..  Grin)
Ummm.... any address in the "Receiving" part of the bitcoin client is an address you own. If you send to one of these it just comes back to you. I haven't used Mt Gox but I assume they give you an address for depositing. You add this to your "Sending" address book. When you send to that address it will credit your Mt Gox account.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
nmat (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:28:56 AM

I'm talking about this:

I know I should have added the address to the "Sending" tab, but I added it on the "Receiving tab". Anyway, I will still get the transferred bitcoins, in one place or another...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe this is a bug in the client. The Receiving tab should only have locally generated addresses, right?
The00Dustin

Activity: 807

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:32:51 AM

In the picture you posted, you are on the sending tab with the add address window popped up.  This should add it to the sending tab, which you use for outbound coin transfers.  On the receiving tab, when you click new address, there won't be an option to put the address in, only a name, which is just a nickname for your reference.  If you put the mgox address there, it doesn't matter, it's not seen/used by anyone but you and the address that isn't the nickname is what the wallet has a key for.
nmat (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:41:47 AM

In the picture you posted, you are on the sending tab with the add address window popped up.  This should add it to the sending tab, which you use for outbound coin transfers.  On the receiving tab, when you click new address, there won't be an option to put the address in, only a name, which is just a nickname for your reference.  If you put the mgox address there, it doesn't matter, it's not seen/used by anyone but you and the address that isn't the nickname is what the wallet has a key for.

OK, you are right. I didn't put it in the label, but it wasn't the same address and the labels got mixed up somehow. Nevermind... I will hide in shame now. Sorry for wasting your time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: