Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:22:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if mining suddenly becomes unprofitable for most miners?  (Read 7045 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:54:11 AM

I never followed mining too closely - but the difficulty grows like crazy

It is quite possible that at this rate it suddenly outgrows the profitability level for most miners and if they decide to switch off the mining rigs - then bitcoin transfers become slow. This can undermine the bitcoin system causing the price to drop and lowering the mining profitability even more forcing people to switch off further rigs.

In 2011 the system proved to be quite robust against price drops - many miners did not switch off immediately after the price made mining unprofitable - and the system was maybe slow at some point but not catastrophically so - but this time it might be different with the difficulty explosion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:02:38 AM

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:13:29 AM

It is quite possible that at this rate it suddenly outgrows the profitability level for most miners and if they decide to switch off the mining rigs - then bitcoin transfers become slow. This can undermine the bitcoin system causing the price to drop and lowering the mining profitability even more forcing people to switch off further rigs.

Mining with already produced hardware only becomes unprofitable if the electricty costs outweigh the income from mining and for ASICs (which make up the vast majority of the network), this is not even remotely the case yet.

What may happen is that the difficulty growth will slow down considerably as buying new hardware become less and less appealling, but as long as the network hashrate doesn't collapse all of the sudden there's no problem (a gradual decrease isn't an issue either).

Difficulty-adjustments will ensure that in the event of miners shutting down the difficulty goes down as well and mining profitability will increase again.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 08:44:49 AM

Difficulty-adjustments will ensure that in the event of miners shutting down the difficulty goes down as well and mining profitability will increase again.

Exactly. Eventually the hardware will catch up with Moore's law and mining will be run by big corporations with access to cheap electricity and large data centres.

Bitcoin's future isn't related to the profitability of miners any more than gold's future is linked the to profitability Goldcorp etc. It is linked to wider adoption and the possibility that something better will come along.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:09:00 AM

Yes - but the adjustments don't happen immediately - and especially down adjustments will happen slowly.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 09:26:43 AM

Yes - but the adjustments don't happen immediately - and especially down adjustments will happen slowly.

That's a reasonably good scenario for the Death of Bitcoin. It happened to Namecoin, prices fell faster than the difficulty could adjust making it decades till the difficulty would catch up. They barely limped to the next adjustment to use merged mining.
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:42:39 AM

This is only an issue if a large amount of mining power is switched off at the same time. If the mining power is halved at the start of a new difficulty-cycle, it'll take 4 weeks for a downward adjustment, which is long, but still reasonable. And an instant 50% reduction of mining power is absurd outside of catastrophic incidents.

Like I said before, existing miners won't be turned off anytime soon. And when they are finally turned off, old, less efficient miners, which will have a lower hashrate are turned off first, making any potential difficulty drop rather smooth.

Scrypt alt-coins are far more susceptible, since they're at the mercy of profit-switchers moving large amounts of hashing power from one coin to the other. SHA-256 alts can be merge-mined with BTC if they have been setup for it, so they're more protected.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:47:05 AM

There is nothing different in the current growth rate from the historic growth rate. Since its inception Bitcoin difficulty has grown exponentially and I expect this continue for some time.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 10:13:21 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=81.0

It appears that "sudden" means November-December.

Lots of tears in some of those threads.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 01:32:55 PM

My GPUs where still minig at lost when BTC where exchanged at 2$ .. I sold those BTC over 200$..
So, I dont plan to stop mining as I will sell those over 2000 $   ; P

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 01:42:08 PM

My GPUs where still minig at lost when BTC where exchanged at 2$ .. I sold those BTC over 200$..
So, I dont plan to stop mining as I will sell those over 2000 $   ; P

Hint: Avoid selling.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 02:05:19 PM

Those miners with electricity included in the rent won't bother, and those miners with high electricity cost will shutdown first and buy coins instead, that will drive up the exchange rate and in turn improve the rest of the miner's profitability

zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 02:32:23 PM

So, I dont plan to stop mining as I will sell those over 2000 $   ; P

Hmm - but instead of paying for your electricity you could buy BTC and you'd have them more than with mining. Then you could also sell them over 200$ and be better overall. There is no rational case for mining when you pay more for electricity than you'd pay for the BTC bought directly.

Buy maybe your argument is that some people never get this idea that they could buy more BTC then they mine - so they will be mining BTC regardless of the economy of that. That's possible.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 02:44:11 PM

Hmm - but instead of paying for your electricity you could buy BTC and you'd have them more than with mining. Then you could also sell them over 200$ and be better overall. There is no rational case for mining when you pay more for electricity than you'd pay for the BTC bought directly.

Buy maybe your argument is that some people never get this idea that they could buy more BTC then they mine - so they will be mining BTC regardless of the economy of that. That's possible.

People are lazy and it is easier to keep mining than figure out how to buy bitcoins.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:03:49 PM

Mining is also about protecting the network from attack. If people stop mining because it is no longer profitable, and mining becomes too centralized and suffers a successful attack, everyone's bitcoin will quickly become worthless.

There is no good reason to discourage people from bitcoin mining at this point. We're all still early adopters. There's a lot more to bitcoin than making the maximum return on your investment.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 03:24:00 PM

There's a lot more to bitcoin than making the maximum return on your investment.

I heard this rumor too.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:28:05 PM

The inefficient will be replaced by the efficient.  Hashrate will still increase.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:51:32 PM

It's not like an on/off switch, when mining starts to become unprofitable the difficulty will adjust accordingly until mining becomes marginally profitable again for the average miner. The speed of the network is still increasing exponentially, but this will level off at some point and perhaps even decrease a bit for a while but it's not going to go to 0 or become so slow that it harms the verification process.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 04:02:50 PM

Fud theory:

Mining becomes almost unprofitable. Nobody is investing in mining equipment but there is still a small gain to be made.
Somebody with deep enough pockets continues to buy equipment (although at a loss) just to drive and then keep the entire mining unprofitable for most miners at a certain loss even for themselves.
Eventually more miners quit and the mysterious organisation comes close to 51%.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 04:41:50 PM

Fud theory:

Mining becomes almost unprofitable. Nobody is investing in mining equipment but there is still a small gain to be made.
Somebody with deep enough pockets continues to buy equipment (although at a loss) just to drive and then keep the entire mining unprofitable for most miners at a certain loss even for themselves.
Eventually more miners quit and the mysterious organisation comes close to 51%.

And then bitcoin becomes worthless and they wasted all their money to steal worthless stuff.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: