Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:57:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Feathercoin - The Miner Update - Hard Fork Block 87948  (Read 2266 times)
bushstar (OP)

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 11:24:24 AM

Feathercoin - The Miner Update - Hard Fork Block 87948

The latest Feathercoin version 0.6.4.4 is now available and is a mandatory update. This update includes a hard fork of the block chain to accommodate the changes made in this patch. This hard fork should happen roughly around the 1st October which is only a week away.  To be able to send and receive Feathercoin after block 87948 you have to use the new client. Continuing to use old clients after the hard fork could result in the loss of coins.

Primarily this update is to further the refine of the difficulty adjust. Though the current Feathercoin difficulty which we changed to get us out of a tough spot it is not fair for long term miners who have to experience 41.4% swings on every adjust. The new code will adjust four times more frequently at 126 blocks but to approximately 9% which still gives the exact same overall adjust. To prevent the difficulty from being sent up or down too rapidly the current 504 sample window is being maintained and damping is being introduced to reduce fluctuations between extremes.

There have been long running discussion and arguments on the Feathercoin forum including simulations of various different options surrounding this solution. Feel free to take a look at the latest discussion here.

To get the latest update please go to the Official Feathercoin Website and download the client from the homepage.

Official Feathercoin Website

Changelog:
Move to 126 difficulty adjust with 504 averaging window and .25 damping
Reduce effectivness of Time Warp attack
Reinstate CAlert system
Make getnetworkhashps more accurate
Release Windows binary with QR encode

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChekaZ
Legendary

Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 11:39:16 AM

Great to see the work doesnt stop! Wink

BTC: 1Ges1taJ69W7eEMbQLcmNGnUZenBkCnn45
FTC: 6sxjM96KMZ7t4AmDTUKDZdq82Nj931VQvY
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 11:42:03 AM

Though the current Feathercoin difficulty which we changed to get us out of a tough spot it is not fair for long term miners who have to experience 41.4% swings on every adjust.

How so?

If there is an even playing field (i.e. all participants agree to the rules of the network) how is that not fair?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Nutnut

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 12:01:39 PM

Perhaps loyal miners would have been a better term.

In short, when the diff swings up 41% the hashrate drops to ~3Gh/s. The LOYAL miners, rather than hop to the next most profitable coin stick around and mine at a higher diff for 2+ days to bring the diff back down. Then when the diff does swing down by 41%, all the multipools and profiteers swing their miners back to FTC, the hashrate jumps to ~10Gh/s and so the good times (low diff) only lasts for 8 hours before swinging up again.

This update will stop the 41% bounce and limit it to 9%. There will be swings still of course but hopefully the effect will be reduced. Simples.

Of course, if you are not a loyal miner, you may not see the benefits, possibly the opposite but we're all about looking after the loyal guys in the community. Grin

That is all.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 12:35:22 PM

In short, when the diff swings up 41% the hashrate drops to ~3Gh/s. The LOYAL miners, rather than hop to the next most profitable coin stick around and mine at a higher diff for 2+ days to bring the diff back down. Then when the diff does swing down by 41%, all the multipools and profiteers swing their miners back to FTC, the hashrate jumps to ~10Gh/s and so the good times (low diff) only lasts for 8 hours before swinging up again.

This update will stop the 41% bounce and limit it to 9%. There will be swings still of course but hopefully the effect will be reduced. Simples.

Of course, if you are not a loyal miner, you may not see the benefits, possibly the opposite but we're all about looking after the loyal guys in the community. Grin

That is all.

Why not then just remove all that and go with the most granular diff adjustment (i.e. after each block)?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 12:50:19 PM

I like the windows installer, a bit more pro than a lot of the other coins that you basically unzip.

Conqueror
Legendary

Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020

I was diagnosed with brain parasite

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:46:44 PM

Just perfect, no more diff traps for FTC!
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:02:43 AM

Stickied for a day or so. I'll be watching the thread, but please send me a pm after the fork target block has been passed.
flound1129

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 08:28:03 AM

That is all.

By profiteers you mean those guys who saved the coin from 51% attack back by switching to FTC when the diff dropped a couple months ago?

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
lemons

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 10:19:44 AM

This webpage is not available  (https://www.feathercoin.com/)
erk

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 12:09:21 PM

I would love to hear how you're going to reduce the effectiveness of the TW Exploit and which one?

Either you're vulnerable to the exploit or you're not, there is no middle ground.

~BCX~
Read the source code and you might learn something.

bushstar (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 08:55:42 PM

I would love to hear how you're going to reduce the effectiveness of the TW Exploit and which one?

Either you're vulnerable to the exploit or you're not, there is no middle ground.

~BCX~

We experienced attacks where Feathercoin blocks were being created two hours into the future. This is the most that the protocol will tolerate and is the default of Bitcoin which has 12 blocks in that time period. We have 12 blocks in a 30 minute period and our code as been adjusted to reject blocks outside of that time period. So the attackers can still swing out time but not by as much.

With adjusts every 126 blocks (5.25 hours) having attackers swing our time by two hours would be a huge problem so we had to limit this in some way.

aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 07:19:42 AM

Just let this piece of shit coin die already.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 07:25:33 AM

Just read the whole things from start to finish on the FTC forum .

as you know i'm not a holder of FTC but i think these implementations help the FTC community -

particularly the 504 averaging window and .25 damping

in conjunction with the shortening of the time regarding the "Time warp" flaw. 

as this can help sure up security which ultimately supports confidence to the degree that you can control that aspect.

so good work.  

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
ChrisJ

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 07:03:39 PM

Just let this piece of shit coin die already.

Survival is the best form of revenge... hmm that gives me an idea.

I want to make the world better than I found it
flound1129

www.multipool.us

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 05:14:30 AM

After updating, two blocks Multipool found were rejected with the following error:

ThreadRPCServer method=submitblock
ERROR: AcceptBlock() : rejected by synchronized checkpoint
ERROR: ProcessBlock() : AcceptBlock FAILED

What is the fix for this?

Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 06:39:42 AM

You can't fix this. This message means that another block is already accepted by network and successfully checkpointed. It seems that blockchain is too fast for the current checkpoints implementation/settings. You can switch it into advisory mode to prevent such events in the future.

But it's better to change checkpoints interval setting to 6-12 blocks.
erk

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 07:59:06 AM

You can't fix this. This message means that another block is already accepted by network and successfully checkpointed. It seems that blockchain is too fast for the current checkpoints implementation/settings. You can switch it into advisory mode to prevent such events in the future.

Are you sure? The advanced checkpointing has been running since August, you should have noticed any problems like that ages ago. I am inclined to think it was something else.

flound1129

www.multipool.us

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:13:28 AM

So I basically got 2 orphans in a row is what you're saying?

bushstar (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:51:03 AM

So I basically got 2 orphans in a row is what you're saying?

You said those blocks got orphaned after updating but were those blocks minted before you updated or after?

Blocks found on the old chain will get orphaned by the new fork. If anyone wants to continue using 0.6.4.3 they would need to set ACP to advisory.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: