Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:53:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your child brings this letter home from school...  (Read 6543 times)
Anonymous

July 19, 2011, 04:43:27 AM

Dear Mr. Doe,

You may already know this, but in case your son has neglected to tell you, I am assigning him to detention for one hour this Friday, April 22nd. The reason is as follows:

Alex consistently defied me. During class he contradicted me numerous time when I insisted that the length of one kilometer was greater than that of one mile. Every other student in class accepted my lesson without argument, but your son refused to believe what I told him, throwing such rebuttals as, "You're lying to the class," and commanding other students to challenge my curriculum.

Although he was correct, your son's actions show a blatant disregard for authority, and a complete lack of respect for his school. In the future, your son would be better off simply accepting my teachings without resistance.

Please see to it that your son understand this.

Sarah Derpkins

What do you do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:50:54 AM

Sounds familair, i had a teacher appoligize once for giving me detention back in 4th grade. She was getting all pissy about why everyone doesn't do there home work and asked the first 4 people see layed eyes on and asked why they didn't do there home work... the first two replied with serious ones like I didn't have time becuase of baseball practice, or somthing like that; The 3rd one said "My dog ate it" to be funny of course i was the 4th and Honest Xenland Me i replied with "I just don't feel like" and she point towards the door and said GET OUT OF MY CLASS, i got a detention and after school detention... later that day the teacher appoligize becuase she realized i was the only honest one....

I say congradulate the kid for showing authority of "The Truth"
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:09:02 AM

Congratulate your kid, pick him up early before detention to get some icecream or somthing; and write to the school asking for some punishment for the teacher for trying to teach the students wrong things and trying to punish students for his/her own mistakes.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:17:18 AM

What do you do?
Send it to Fox News. They eat that stuff right up.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 05:19:58 AM

Congratulate the child (I see a trend here)

Have him do his time, and then take him out to Pizza. While he's in detention, he is not to do any homework, or anything remotely 'productive'. If he can sneek a book or something in, even better.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
LastBattle

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:38:22 AM

Mock the teacher for being called "Mrs.DERPkins"

Congratulate the kid

You're standing on a flagstone running with blood, alone and so very lonely because you can't choose but you had to

I take tips to: 14sF7NNGJzXvoBcfbLR6N4Exy8umCAqdBd
Sannyasi

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 05:51:51 AM

i'd keep him home from school that day and lock him inside the closet all day with the two ferrets- then call the school telling them it'd been dealt with.

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 08:44:27 AM

What do you do?
Cheesy

I like how Atlas is on a "it's for the kids" kick. It's amusing to watch the debates that happen.
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 01:29:27 PM

What do you do?
Firstly I try to figure out if my kid is trying to fool me with some stupid prank letter. If it turns out to be real then I would get into contact with the school and demand to know why they are teaching my son false information. Then I would continue on with some massive rant about thinking for ones self and learning to question everything you are told, even if it comes from so called authoritative figures. It's a good thing I don't want kids.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:36:52 PM

Just because you're right, doesn't mean arguing with the teacher during class is the wisest thing.

What would be so bad about knowing you're right, but not saying anything?

I'd tell the kid that he's right, but that there's a time and place for arguing one's case and it's not always best to do it immediately, and so publicly.

Yeti

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Firstbits: 1yetiax

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:42:16 PM

Although they will probably badmouth the teacher as being Anti-american for using kilometers in the first place. Real americans should not learn about these things or the terrorists will have already won.

1YetiaXeuRzX9QJoQNUW84oX2EiXnHgp3 or http://payb.tc/yeti

Since Bitcoin Randomizer is dead, join the Bitcoin Pyramid (referrer id #203)! Be quick, be on top! Instant payout as soon as one of your referrals deposits!
onesalt

Activity: 756

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:00:30 PM

You do realise the letter that this entire thing comes from was photoshopped to show a teacher in bad light, correct?
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:02:27 PM

Although he was correct, your son's actions show a blatant disregard for authority, and a complete lack of respect for his school. In the future, your son would be better off simply accepting my teachings without resistance.
It is absolutely ridiculous! Why he need to accept bullshit just because his teacher has fiat authority? Answer hardly to this letter. These people can cause science collapse in your country, think about future!

P.S. If it would happened in Latvia, this teacher will be immediately fired and she probably lost qualification (that mean never able to work as teacher again).
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:13:35 PM

I would get into contact with the school and demand to know why they are teaching my son false information.

You do realize you'd be calling your (public) school every other day, right?  Cheesy
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 03:10:27 PM

I would get into contact with the school and demand to know why they are teaching my son false information.

You do realize you'd be calling your (public) school every other day, right?  Cheesy
Hahaha. Yeah...that's one of the reasons I don't want kids. I don't have time to home school a child, although it would probably be kind of fun for a while...so I'd have to send the kid to a public school (since private schools have proven to be a waste of money imo and full of rich kids who take everything for granted). I've thought about becoming a teacher too, but I don't think I would last very long. Cheesy

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 03:48:28 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2011, 04:32:03 PM by Rassah

I would question the authenticity of the letter, and contact the teachers to verify it first. Teachers usually know what the hell they're talking about, usually having earned a teaching degree and have studied the topic they were hired to teach in depth.
JBDive

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:00:05 PM

Professor in a "Social Deviance" class went off one day:

"So how many of you go to Bar X every Friday night? <show of hands> Considering this city is only about 30% study body and by those hands I see only about 50% of those go to Bar X then about 15% or less of the General Populace feels going and getting drunk at Bar X is normal behavior so that makes those 15%, and you that raised your hands, social deviants.

I do however thank you deviants because by being deviants you keep all the cops busy on that side of town so I can take my Porsche out and speed around the mountain roads."

<ME> Professor there are only about 20-30 Porsche in this town, of those your the only one I know that waits for Friday night to go racing around, doesn't that make you the deviant?"

Class laughed, Professor side stepped, I got a C.

Sometimes planning your attack for a later date is the better solution, timing is everything they say? Hey I had an @##hole teacher in HS and I let him be that butt the entire year but when he tried to give me a D at the end of the year I had every test, every graded homework assignment and my entire family met with administration showing the work was completed the grade should be a B- and didn't the Administration find it interesting all the girls in the class got A's? That teacher was not there the next year.

enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:07:13 PM

Just because you're right, doesn't mean arguing with the teacher during class is the wisest thing.

What would be so bad about knowing you're right, but not saying anything?

I'd tell the kid that he's right, but that there's a time and place for arguing one's case and it's not always best to do it immediately, and so publicly.

What would be so good about allowing an entire classroom full of kids to be taught something incorrect when it could have been stopped? I've seen this "letter home" before, it's on snopes and it's gone around in emails a lot. I don't remember whether snopes said it was verifiable or not but whether this instance is true or not, I know firsthand that this sort of thing happens.

I've actually done this, though I didn't get punished for it. I almost got punished for it once (9th grade biology class) but I cordially reminded the instructor that science isn't about respectfulness or minding elders, it's about finding the answers that mesh best with observed reality and that part of the scientific process is publishing your work for others to point out when you've made a dumb mistake because we ALL make dumb mistakes.

It's hard for a science instructor to punish you for following the scientific process rigorously.
Thanak

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:14:08 PM

I'd explain my kid my perception of the situation...

School is not made to learn stuff, it's to get a diploma to give you access to better job in the future.

It's important to know the truth, but don't lose track of your objectives. Learn to play the game and get good grade. When you have your diploma in hand, then fell free to tell your teacher what a moron he really is.

I'm more a Peter Keating than a Howard Roark Cheesy
JBDive

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:51:28 PM

I'd explain my kid my perception of the situation...

School is not made to learn stuff, it's to get a diploma to give you access to better job in the future.

It's important to know the truth, but don't lose track of your objectives. Learn to play the game and get good grade. When you have your diploma in hand, then fell free to tell your teacher what a moron he really is.

I'm more a Peter Keating than a Howard Roark Cheesy

Actually I perceive High School as the Slave Indoctrination Camp. We will give you enough education so you can be of service to the powers that run this country but not so educated that you question their right to rule. While you get that education you are totally indoctrinated into what is permissible, what is expected, and what is not.

College is little better.

Shut Up Slave....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: