Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:17:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Investment Trust Launched by Major Crowdfunding Company Secondmarket!!  (Read 5013 times)
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:05:38 PM

Does anyone know how they purchase the bitcoins, do they have a ton of bitcoins and they are selling parts of that? or are they going to take the money and directly buy bitcoins? Cause if it is the latter than that could send prices down, depending on how much they raise.

How would buying btc on the market lower the price?

Big whales like this can buy huge amounts of bitcoins on exchanges and cause panic sells. So it would be best if they brought coins at low amounts over time.

What? You must be confused. Someone buying huge amounts of bitcoins would drive the price UP. Do you think that someone selling a huge amount of bitcoins would cause a panic buy?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:07:08 PM

Does anyone know how they purchase the bitcoins, do they have a ton of bitcoins and they are selling parts of that? or are they going to take the money and directly buy bitcoins? Cause if it is the latter than that could send prices down, depending on how much they raise.

Big whales like this can buy huge amounts of bitcoins on exchanges and cause panic sells. So it would be best if they brought coins at low amounts over time.

What? You must be confused. Someone buying huge amounts of bitcoins would drive the price UP. Do you think that someone selling a huge amount of bitcoins would cause a panic buy?

his brain works backwards.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:43:04 PM

his brain works backwards.

buy, buy, sell as fast as you can - what? rofl

btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:00:46 PM

Be interesting to see if anybody invests. I'm not sure.

My take is that a lot of older generation's wealthy folk will shun Bitcoin from the go as they simply cannot get their head around the concept. Some of these guys spent so many years watching things come and go and beating the same old stick that it has become almost impossible to acclimatise their brain to new ideas and technology, especially in finance. The young & wealthy are more likely to be curious, investigate and invest themselves through more direct routes. Then again I'm sure SecondMarket had enough interest to put the plan through the motions so I'm skeptical of my own skepticism. Hopeful.
Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:05:58 PM

My take is that a lot of older generation's wealthy folk will shun Bitcoin from the go as they simply cannot get their head around the concept. Some of these guys spent so many years watching things come and go and beating the same old stick that it has become almost impossible to acclimatise their brain to new ideas and technology, especially in finance. The young & wealthy are more likely to be curious, investigate and invest themselves through more direct routes. Then again I'm sure SecondMarket had enough interest to put the plan through the motions so I'm skeptical of my own skepticism. Hopeful.

Soros can't probably get his head around Facebook, yet he invested in it and this is a guy who was a boy during WW2.

Wealthy people invest in paradigm shifts and Bitcoin is a paradigm shift in the financial world. Bill Gates called Bitcoin "A technological tour de force". Old investors are paying attention and will invest in the next thing because that's where the growth and money is.

However, there are plenty of younger billionaire hedge fund investors out there. Old guys like Buffett, Icahn, Soros are just part of the pack.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:18:21 PM

Soros can't probably get his head around Facebook, yet he invested in it and this is a guy who was a boy during WW2.

Wealthy people invest in paradigm shifts and Bitcoin is a paradigm shift in the financial world. Bill Gates called Bitcoin "A technological tour de force". Old investors are paying attention and will invest in the next thing because that's where the growth and money is.

However, there are plenty of younger billionaire hedge fund investors out there. Old guys like Buffett, Icahn, Soros are just part of the pack.

yes. 

also alot of these older wealthy will actually listen and take the advice of the younger wealthy generation, even if they don't understand Bitcoin, as they realize the world is changing.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:10:57 PM

yes.  
also alot of these older wealthy will actually listen and take the advice of the younger wealthy generation, even if they don't understand Bitcoin, as they realize the world is changing.

Ahh, the ignorance of youth. We think we know everything, yet we know nothing. We think that because something is new to us, it is new to everyone. Let me FTFY

also alot of these younger wealthy will never listen and take the advice of the older wealthy generation, even if they don't understand Bitcoin, as because they don't realize the world is has always been changing.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:33:29 PM

So, if I understand this correctly, this is about the same thing as what the Winklevoss brothers were trying to do?
Herp

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:37:59 PM

So, if I understand this correctly, this is about the same thing as what the Winklevoss brothers were trying to do?

Yeah, just that it won't be accessible to low income investors.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000201609&startTime=0&endTime=404

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:00:33 PM

Thanks!  Good video too.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 10:58:29 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2013, 11:12:41 PM by franky1

franky1 should stop posting out of shame for quite some time now. Can't believe people can be this ignorant.

The Bitcoin Investment Trust(BIT) is owned by a subsidiary of Secondmarket, Alternative Currency Asset Management.
im not even sure why im replying to a guy with under 100 activity and 3 months membership, but here is it as simple as possible:

READ THEIR WEBSITE - http://www.bitcointrust.co/
Launched in 2013, the BIT is sponsored by Alternative Currency Asset Management (ACAM), a wholly-owned subsidiary of SecondMarket Holdings, Inc. and an affiliate of SecondMarket, Inc. (custodian, marketing and distribution partner).

ACAM are not working as OWNERS of BIT, but as management consultants that have sponsored some guy to handle the private keys.

put it into real world terms. if you OWN a surfboard shop and a well known brandname SPONSORS you, and provides advertising and management consultants to help boost sales. when the surf shop goes into debt.. do the debt collectors chase the well known brand.. no

in actual fact the sponsors can tell the courts they too invested millions into the surf shop and lots of labour time too, and they want to make a claim for losses against the surfshop..

now who actually owns the surfshop... well the investors that have shares in the surfshop ofcourse...

my point being if you want to throw $100k at bitcoin, BUY BITCOINS. not these shares.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:10:52 PM

Thanks!  Good video too.

good and very helpful thanks for this

SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:05:25 AM

come one, come all.

at least those over $200K.

LOL

"It's not perfect, so it's basically bad news.  Sell your bitcoins while you can!"   Roll Eyes
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:11:10 AM

come one, come all.

LOL

"It's not perfect, so it's basically bad news.  Sell your bitcoins while you can!"   Roll Eyes

looks like i am out of date already.

it's minimum $25K.
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:15:56 AM

come one, come all.

LOL

it's minimum $25K.

It's still great news.  These are the people with $$$$$$.  Not $.
FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 01:02:59 AM

come one, come all.

LOL

it's minimum $25K.
$200k would be yearly income required to be considered an accredited investor (or net worth over $1mil)
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 03:01:26 AM

accredited investor (or net worth over $1mil)

In one of the interviews (maybe this CNBC one, I didn't go back to listen to it again to verify) Silbert refers to BIT being open only to "sophisticated investors".    I wasn't familiar with that term.  Here it is:

Typically, a sophisticated investor must have either a net worth of $2.5 million or have earned more than $250,000 in the past two years to qualify.
- http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sophisticatedinvestor.asp

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2013, 03:18:29 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2013, 04:24:34 AM by NewLiberty

And the sophisticated investor net worth calculation excludes primary residence.  On the theory that where you live is consumption, not investment.

Some hedge fund money managers and fund runners can enjoy this too, just not to the degree of an on exchange ETF, but this does give them more legal cover (and a deeper pocket they can sue) if there is something fishy.

It adds confidence.  It brings in new buyers, it creates some increased awareness, and someone else's lawyers can fight some of the battles that may arise.  Lots of good things here, just like most of what the Winklevoss team is doing is good for Bitcoin generally.

What it doesn't do is the grass-roots work of developing the Bitcoin economy, and it doesn't do much for most of us.  I have some fair bit or retirement money that I would like to have in bitcoin but IRAs and 401Ks have limits on how you can invest them.

When bitcoins will be represented in investment trusts and funds that these sorts of accounts can hold, it will be a win.  This brings that a step closer.  Bigger news would be a major online retailer having an option to buy using bitcoin thus taking advantage of the lower transaction costs.  Usage stimulates the Bitcoin economy more than trading.  Trading relies on usage for supporting the valuations.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Rob768 (OP)

Activity: 324
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:13:01 PM

Anybody think that this recent spike in bitcoin could be this new trust buying it up... along with other things of course.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:16:27 PM

who-is search on their domain............

Oh, look, you do know how to do a whois search after all.  How enlightening.

their whois details are of a french guy, french address but having a .co.uk website

And what is this?  You've had this skill for a long time.  Interesting.

Funny how this ability seems to come and go for you, depending on which thread you are trolling at the moment.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: