Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:35:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ripple is officially open-source! w/link  (Read 24522 times)
mah87
Donator

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:33:47 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2013, 10:01:18 PM by mah87

Nice to see some steps in the right direction with Open Sourcing and with the name change.

However

Despite that though I still have an instinctive aversion to the concept of chains of trust and passing around debts. Bitcoins are something I get, it is sound money. Ripple is something that I just don't get the idea is confusing and even if the ripple devs have good intentions, I can't get past feeling that the idea can be used for nefarious aims.

https://ripplecharts.com/markets

There's been no progress since May...
You got Bitstamp and nothing else...
Even with the BIG BOOM of open sourcing only $38,000 USD/XRP traded.

Their big US Gateway SnapSwap is doing $2,315 of business/day.

If you bought XRP in May... you are STILL DOWN 50% at 9000/BTC...
There's no liquidity anyway to make any real money...
Plus 98,000,000,000 XRP waiting to be dumped on you, baby.

Compared to mcxNOW... Ripple is a Ghost Town = 100% hype...
Do people not realize that every single business associated with Ripple is IN THE RED.

I don't think Bitstamp is IN THE RED "baby" ....  Wink you are really a dummy ... what did you expect ? ripple making 1millions dollars a day within 1Month ? idiot

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:44:56 PM

Has anyone tried to launch rippled?

I got such a picture:

Not sure if it's scanning my computer for wallet.dat talking to the Ripple network or just running an infinite loop.
mah87
Donator

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:50:29 PM

scanning my computer for wallet.dat Lol hahah you discover the ripple conspiracy O_o ahha Smiley
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:13:40 PM

Someone mind looking over these and providing a few answers?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303114.0
UncleBobs

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

It From Bit

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 07:04:09 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2013, 07:25:53 PM by UncleBobs

So, one point to the builders and sharers, one poke in the eye to the haters!  

"What will be the most interesting about the open-sourced code may well be the consensus algorithm. If it works, consensus is arguably a major improvement over any of the “mining”-like algorithms that Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies can offer; it both completely removes Bitcoin’s “wasted electricity” problem and makes it much more difficult to successfully execute an attack against the network. However, the main objection is, will it actually work? Up until now, the process has been well-documented on the Ripple wiki in text, diagrams and a video. However, the description has been high-level, and the documentation has not been in a formal form suitable for mathematical or cryptographic analysis. Now, we have access to the source code, which is literally as formal a description of the consensus process that one can get. For the first time, actual cryptographers outside of Ripple Labs will be able to create mathematical models out of the code, run simulations or prove theorems on it and see if it actually lives up to the hype."

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/7275/ripple-is-officially-open-source/

Disobey the Thought Police.  Resist Totalitarian Humanism.
http://attackthesystem.com/?s=totalitarian+humanism
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

WOW, kind of surprising. i did not think that open coin would actually deliver on this. i wonder where it will go from here. hmmm....
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 02:39:39 AM

Nice to see some steps in the right direction with Open Sourcing and with the name change.

However

Despite that though I still have an instinctive aversion to the concept of chains of trust and passing around debts. Bitcoins are something I get, it is sound money. Ripple is something that I just don't get the idea is confusing and even if the ripple devs have good intentions, I can't get past feeling that the idea can be used for nefarious aims.

https://ripplecharts.com/markets

There's been no progress since May...
You got Bitstamp and nothing else...
Even with the BIG BOOM of open sourcing only $38,000 USD/XRP traded.

Their big US Gateway SnapSwap is doing $2,315 of business/day.

If you bought XRP in May... you are STILL DOWN 50% at 9000/BTC...
There's no liquidity anyway to make any real money...
Plus 98,000,000,000 XRP waiting to be dumped on you, baby.

Compared to mcxNOW... Ripple is a Ghost Town = 100% hype...
Do people not realize that every single business associated with Ripple is IN THE RED.

yup. the low volume really bothers me too. right now, i am only willing to play around with a few hundred bucks in ripple with that volume.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
UncleBobs

Activity: 103

It From Bit

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 12:18:01 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2013, 10:24:27 PM by UncleBobs

# Send in the clones, from the otiose to the oneiric...
# python RipCloneNameGen.py

a1 = ['b','bl','br','c','ch','cl','cr','d','dr','f','fl','fr','g','gh','gl']
a2 = ['gn','gr','h','j','k','kl','kr','l','m','n','p','ph','pl','pr','q']
a3 = ['r','rh','s','sh','sk','sl','sm','sn','sp','sq','st','sw']
a4 = ['t','th','tr','tw','v','w','wh','wr','x','y','z']
a = a1 + a2 + a3 + a4

b1 = ['a','ae','ai','ao','au','e','ea','ee','ei','eo','eu','i','ia','ie']
b2 = ['io','iu','o','oa','oe','oi','oo','ou','u','ua','ue','ui','uo']
b = b1 + b2

c = ['bb','ck','dd','ff','gg','pp','ss','st','tt','zz']

d = ['le']

n = 0
for i in a:
  for j in b:
    for k in c:
      n += 1
      print n, i + j + k + d[0]

Disobey the Thought Police.  Resist Totalitarian Humanism.
http://attackthesystem.com/?s=totalitarian+humanism
jyaken

Activity: 810

Your professional profile on the blockchain

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 11:24:46 AM

Has anyone tried to launch rippled?

I got such a picture:

Not sure if it's scanning my computer for wallet.dat talking to the Ripple network or just running an infinite loop.

I just compiled it without error on archlinux.
But i got
Code:
Unable to open/create leveldb: IO error: db/hyperldb/LOCK: No such file or directory
when i run rippled.

Is there any manual of database? i didnt find any on ripple's wiki.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 11:31:30 AM

Create a folder named "db" next to rippled... or enter a location that actually exists in your rippled.conf file.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
CryptoBeggar

Activity: 119

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 02:21:20 PM

I'm considering buying some ripple, but  I would just like to know what happens when I'm buying from my Bitstamp account. Do I get my USD transfered to the ripple account or are they converted to Ripple instantly? How is the price of ripple established given there is a vast majority of undistributed "coins"?

Thanks!

First MasterCoin protocol transaction -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265488.msg2940318#msg2940318; please refer to thread disclosed for more information
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 07:56:17 PM

I'm considering buying some ripple, but  I would just like to know what happens when I'm buying from my Bitstamp account. Do I get my USD transfered to the ripple account or are they converted to Ripple instantly? How is the price of ripple established given there is a vast majority of undistributed "coins"?

Thanks!

At bitstamp buy the minimum amount to fund your wallet, i.g. 50 XRP reserve plus 12.5 XRP for trust line. Then deposit them into you ripple wallet. Then deposit some USD into your ripple wallet thorough bitstamp or other gateway. Then you have several options to buy ripples from the wallet client. You choose which one suits your needs better.

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 07:51:04 PM

Thanks!

There are two ways to buy through bistamp. The first is on Buy/Sell -> Ripple, where you buy at the price bitstamp manually sets. Its more expensive than the market price, you should only buy the minimum ($2 or $3 USD) to fund the reserve for a new ripple wallet, if you don't already have XRP from a giveaway. With the reserve XRP met (~100 XRP), your ripple wallet can grant a trust line (either BTC or USD, each currency is a separate trust line). With a trust line to bitstamp's issuer address (rvYAfWj5gh67oV6fW32ZzP3Aw4Eubs59B), you can withdraw on bitstamp.net Withdrawal -> Ripple. Choose the same currency of your trust line (BTC and USD have the most liquidity) and paste in your Ripple address (click "Receive" in your ripple wallet).

The market price for XRP is different on each order book. Each gateway (aka issuer) has separate order books on ripple, one per currency. Generally the best price will be for the gateway with the most liquidity, so usually on ripple USD.bitstamp and BTC.bitstamp order books (USD.snapswap is usually more expensive).

You can see a chart of the bitstamp order books on xrp.webr3.org, USD/XRP and BTC/XRP

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
jebluk

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:23:45 PM

Any one cam give the list of XRP trade exchange or where to buy XRP by Okpay/Egopay/Perfectmoney? Thank before.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:28:49 PM

Most XRP are traded within Ripple I guess. I am not sure which gateways accept your payment processors, this is not the topic of this thread though.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:46:18 PM

there may be a better place to ask this but sorry im not sure where it is. how do gateways deal with the legal ramifications of issuing securities. as i understand it this is how ripples decentralized exchange works. a person issues promises to meet a condition and those promises trade on a market until someone submits one of them to the issuer to be honoured. do i have this right? do you guys comply with sec? do you not think that you are obliged to? or do you think that you are but try to fly under the radar?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 12:16:42 AM

there may be a better place to ask this but sorry im not sure where it is. how do gateways deal with the legal ramifications of issuing securities. as i understand it this is how ripples decentralized exchange works. a person issues promises to meet a condition and those promises trade on a market until someone submits one of them to the issuer to be honoured. do i have this right? do you guys comply with sec? do you not think that you are obliged to? or do you think that you are but try to fly under the radar?

That's an interesting question. My guess is individuals aren't obliged to any compliance just like miners aren't, but most important gateways will be entities which should be. It's a little too soon to ask these questions, and if it takes as long for ripple to get noticed as for bitcoin it wouldn't be for another two years till ripple is where Bitcoin is now.  

The most straight forward answer would be if a gateway issues his own IOUs in one currency it must be compliant to the laws of the country issuing that currency.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:34:02 AM

That's an interesting question. My guess is individuals aren't obliged to any compliance just like miners aren't, but most important gateways will be entities which should be. It's a little too soon to ask these questions, and if it takes as long for ripple to get noticed as for bitcoin it wouldn't be for another two years till ripple is where Bitcoin is now.  

The most straight forward answer would be if a gateway issues his own IOUs in one currency it must be compliant to the laws of the country issuing that currency.

thanks em that was a helpful reply. I'm tentatively unblocking you.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
broken_pixel

Activity: 770

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:59:48 AM

I bet it is open source with closed source attributes, like OSX.

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
mah87
Donator

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:50:02 AM

I bet it is open source with closed source attributes, like OSX.

You bet wrong
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: