Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:35:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who the FUCK is making bitcoin viruses?  (Read 9907 times)
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:48:34 PM

Incidently:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?action=printpage;topic=21524.0
So it's not like someone hasn't been deliberating working towards this shit.

I was going to suggest checking with the Russian Business Network, but it looks like this forum has aspiring cybercriminals of its own.  Fucking hell.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
onesalt (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:19:18 PM

This witchhunt shit is starting to piss me off, I can seriously see why the bitcoin devs are distancing themselves from this forum. If you guys aren't going to take a serious fucking problem like this seriously then whatever, enjoy bitcoin while it lasts before it loses all credibility.

Incidently, this wasn't my PC, I was reposting something for someone since they can't post here due to the postcount lower limits.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 05:45:26 PM

maybe it will give bitcoin more publicity.

USER:  I have a bitcoin virus? 
Tech: yes 
USER: whats bitcoin?
Tech: its a p2p currency....

bad publicity is still publicity...........
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:31:50 PM

See what the hell this is? Do you? Some idiotic fucker has developed a virus which does nothing but run copies of the bitcoin mining client to generate coins for the viruses creator. This kind of moronic shit is going to get bitcoin a really fucking bad reputation exceedingly quickly, especially with security companies (who would then be liable to automatically block any bitcoin client from running on the machine since it's suspect malicious software). Especially if it gets bitcoin classed as a botnet operation because then you get a whole load of countries cyber-defence agencies involved, which is going to kill the project dead.

I don't expect it's anyone here but if it is cut that shit out now, before you ruin this for fucking everyone.
OP's a troll

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=336#post393667899

Maybe he did get infected with that virus (which isn't right) , but his intentions here aren't either...
onesalt (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:34:37 PM

Just because I reposted something from a shitty "comedy" forum that this forum has linked to multiple times doesn't mean I'm a troll, hth.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 07:42:24 PM

OP's a troll

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=336#post393667899

Maybe he did get infected with that virus (which isn't right) , but his intentions here aren't either...
Ah, so it's a repost of that post from the SA forums - no wonder the .exe names looked familiar. I wonder if he ever figured out where it came from?

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
onesalt (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 07:46:25 PM

http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=1762

Shut

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Bitcoin-Mining-Malware-in-the-Wild-208665.shtml

The

http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/208188132/Gold_rush

FUCK

http://www.spamfighter.com/News-16407-BitCoin-Harvesting-Trojan-Detected.htm

UP

This is actually something that could motherfucking destroy bitcoin
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 07:53:12 PM

This kind of moronic shit is going to get bitcoin a really fucking bad reputation exceedingly quickly, especially with security companies

I agree.  It's pretty stupid.  It's like robbing a bank and stopping to piss on all of the money.  I'm pretty sure we'd still be looking at $20-25 /btc if we didn't have to deal with hackers who would rather get free $14 btc than honestly get $25 btc.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 08:07:53 PM

unfortunately this isnt really a new issue. bitcoin malware has been in the wild for a while. in fact, im pretty sure one of the latest metasploit releases contained the wallet stealer in its program. anyone can go onto hack forums and buy silent miners and zombie computers for thier botnet.

as the end user, it is your responsibility to use good opsec/infosec. be sure to keep your computer locked down in the ways mentioned previously on this thread.  yes, it sucks, but its up to you (and only you) to keep your computer secure.

that said, malware can be a serious issue, but its not going to destroy bitcoin.  look at bittorrent...how many torrents contain malware of some sort?... and it hasnt fallen apart.  most computer users know the risks.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 08:21:02 PM

This kind of moronic shit is going to get bitcoin a really fucking bad reputation exceedingly quickly
Especially if it gets bitcoin classed as a botnet operation because then you get a whole load of countries cyber-defence agencies involved, which is going to kill the project dead.
This is actually something that could motherfucking destroy bitcoin
I agree OP is a troll.  Stop the fear mongering.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
onesalt (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 08:52:14 PM

unfortunately this isnt really a new issue. bitcoin malware has been in the wild for a while. in fact, im pretty sure one of the latest metasploit releases contained the wallet stealer in its program. anyone can go onto hack forums and buy silent miners and zombie computers for thier botnet.

as the end user, it is your responsibility to use good opsec/infosec. be sure to keep your computer locked down in the ways mentioned previously on this thread.  yes, it sucks, but its up to you (and only you) to keep your computer secure.

that said, malware can be a serious issue, but its not going to destroy bitcoin.  look at bittorrent...how many torrents contain malware of some sort?... and it hasnt fallen apart.  most computer users know the risks.

The difference being when you've got trojans that specifically do nothing but setup botnets for the sole harvesting of bitcoins it's going to give bitcoin a really bad name with security companies really quickly. Unless the community is going to actively try and prevent this sorta shit happening bitcoin is going to get a really bad name with important places and people who we'd probably rather not piss off!
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:00:48 PM

Is there a point to this thread? There's nothing you can do to stop people from making viruses either targeting wallets or running botnet mining ops.

If I'm wrong and you have come up with something you can do to stop this, please speak up. Otherwise, this seems like useless ranting to me.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:04:16 PM

The difference being when you've got trojans that specifically do nothing but setup botnets for the sole harvesting of bitcoins it's going to give bitcoin a really bad name with security companies really quickly. Unless the community is going to actively try and prevent this sorta shit happening bitcoin is going to get a really bad name with important places and people who we'd probably rather not piss off!

i still dont think its nearly as serious as the abundant amount of malware in the wild that steals credit card info and the like. 

what, specifically,  can the "community" do? its up to the security professionals/av programmers/whitehats to find and fix exploits. all the end user can do is keep their computer locked down properly.
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 09:06:33 PM

some bitcoin sites are already blocked at various businesses.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:21:49 PM

Is there a point to this thread? There's nothing you can do to stop people from making viruses either targeting wallets or running botnet mining ops.

If I'm wrong and you have come up with something you can do to stop this, please speak up. Otherwise, this seems like useless ranting to me.

Simple to track the addresses/generated money. Just black list the coins that are generated via botnets -- pretty simple actually.

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:26:20 PM

Simple to track the addresses/generated money. Just black list the coins that are generated via botnets -- pretty simple actually.

How would you detect coins generated by botnets? And if you could do that, how would you detect them fast enough to blacklist them before they get sold off to someone completely unrelated to the botnet operation?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:46:07 PM

I'm not so sure about virus scanners.  My experience with them is that having them is usually worse than having a virus.  I have need to run Windows on one old machine for work reasons (because retards make systems which only work with IE...and even then only on occasion) and I simply don't bother with virus scanners.  I use mild caution about what I install and where it came from, and if I have picked up any viruses or whatever, I've not discovered them yet.  Cygwin makes the machine actually useful for real things...mostly ssh-ing into a real machine.

(My virus discover technique involves sniffing traffic at my packet filter.  I can see my girlfriends computer is loaded with something(s) interacting with machines in China all the time.  And she has various anti-virus software on a very new and powerful but also very slow machine which is quite aggravating to use.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 10:07:50 PM

(My virus discover technique involves sniffing traffic at my packet filter.  I can see my girlfriends computer is loaded with something(s) interacting with machines in China all the time.  And she has various anti-virus software on a very new and powerful but also very slow machine which is quite aggravating to use.)

Shhhh, she's a Chinese spy!!! ¬.¬

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
onesalt (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 10:21:26 PM

If the bitcoin community as a whole doesn't stamp out people using bitcoin to power and spread botnets for profit then someone else will, and people won't look too kindly at bitcoin over it, is the point I'm trying to get at.
BitOffer

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:31:10 PM

You're never going to be able and get a step ahead of the hackers. If the government can't do it it's not worth trying, too many variables. A police station for bitcoin just to make people feel safer is stupid. It's not going to stop them from stealing. Let people be who they are, if they are criminals, at least we can talk with them and understand why they do what they do. A police for bitcoin would just make them never show their heads. If you really want to get philosophical, let's answer the question of why someone needs to steal in the first place(rhetorical question).

These kind of problems are the ones that need to be solved if bitcoin is going to go mainstream. Nobody thought this was going to be easy. For a community of computer savvy individuals, viruses will not be a problem, but for main streamers it would be detrimental.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: