Bitcoin Forum
August 17, 2024, 02:22:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bad language = bad ICO?  (Read 99 times)
bandar (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 10:03:04 PM

We need to talk about language... Roll Eyes

I do some translations once in a while.  And it occurs to me that the language (English) used is often really bad on ICO websites/ANNS/BOUNTIES.  I'm not (even) a native English speaker myself but even I can see that the language being used isn't professional.  Now if you do an ICO, plan to get >10M $ with some bright idea, got a whole team of educated professionals behind you, then how come you can't find one (1) person in your team or pay for one person who can review your announcement in English?

I'll tell you why: because a lot of ICO's are scams and we've come to the point that people invest their money so easily in ICO's that the people behind them don't even need to formulate their idea in proper English.  Do they really think that ANY real life serious investor would put a dime in a project whose creators don't even feel the need to use adequate language/vocabulary? 

I guess there are a lot of bonafide projects with people behind them who just don't speak/write proper English.  That's why I would suggest a new kind of bounty within the translation bounties: Review of site/ann/bounty in English.

Nevertheless, to me it means this circus won't last much longer the way things are turning out right now.
inillo

Activity: 254
Merit: 18

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:11:14 PM

We need to talk about language... Roll Eyes

I do some translations once in a while.  And it occurs to me that the language (English) used is often really bad on ICO websites/ANNS/BOUNTIES.  I'm not (even) a native English speaker myself but even I can see that the language being used isn't professional.  Now if you do an ICO, plan to get >10M $ with some bright idea, got a whole team of educated professionals behind you, then how come you can't find one (1) person in your team or pay for one person who can review your announcement in English?

I'll tell you why: because a lot of ICO's are scams and we've come to the point that people invest their money so easily in ICO's that the people behind them don't even need to formulate their idea in proper English.  Do they really think that ANY real life serious investor would put a dime in a project whose creators don't even feel the need to use adequate language/vocabulary? 

I guess there are a lot of bonafide projects with people behind them who just don't speak/write proper English.  That's why I would suggest a new kind of bounty within the translation bounties: Review of site/ann/bounty in English.

Nevertheless, to me it means this circus won't last much longer the way things are turning out right now.

Language is the first step. It is not necessarily true that bad English translates into a bad ICO but it speaks of lack of attention to marketing and PR, so flag there.
torry28
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:17:41 PM

99% it is. This thread has proven that https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3015124.0
When I was brought on this project, I was also tasked to hire a community manager. After seeing the website and whitepaper for the first time, I could see it was riddled with typos, grammar errors. It was like a 10 year old wrote all of it.

Better to stay away from ICOs which their WP are written poorly
pedropendukot

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:19:36 PM

That is necessary because if you cannot speak in native,people who uses english as their main language wont understand your thoughts and how the project would work.That is why i dont really invest with these ICOs who cant get a decent english translator if they didnt came from an english country,they are planning to raise a lot of funds but they cant allocate to pay good english writers for their website?Nah.

NeverSop

Activity: 518
Merit: 11

HODL

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:19:57 PM

Right. I also met a lot of projects whose presentation was not accurate, especially the ANN themes of the projects are presented rather sloppy. Such projects often do not receive the attention of investors and the failure rate is very high.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: