Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:31:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Difficulty....Decrease?  (Read 2301 times)
Omega0255 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 09:52:46 PM

It looks like the difficulty is predicted to go down as of right now? From 1690906 to 1687502.

http://bitcoinwatch.com/

Perhaps stats are still lagging from the new difficulty change or perhaps sufficient people are throwing in the towel. Who knows, at least we can say that it looks like it's stabilizing right now.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cc5alive

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 09:58:42 PM

Dope.

Now accepting Bitcoin for the children's book "How to Keep Your Helicopter"
http://altanimus.com/product/how-to-keep-your-helicopter
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 10:34:06 PM

It's way too early to tell, and if we're really averaging 6.13blocks / hr then it will not likely decrease. This turn of events is not at all unexpected though, a huge boost in price lead a huge boost in hashing power. A huge drop in price effectively curtailed such a continued expansion, but it's much harder to get out of mining than it is to get in. So we see a bit of stabilization.

My worry about the current stabilization is that concept known as stagflation. Interest and demand taper off, while bitcoins continue to be pumped into the system. Hopefully the new stabilization in both hashing power and price ("stabilization" obviously) will attract more businesses to accept bitcoins as payment. Without the dreaded price swings, it should be more business friendly for those looking at balancing the books.
1.21gigawatts

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 10:36:22 PM

I'm not sure that stat is accurate especially just after difficulty bump...after difficulty change prior til today, I looked at it and it said difficulty was going to go up 1000 something, of course that was incorrect
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:15:23 PM

It's way too early to tell, and if we're really averaging 6.13blocks / hr then it will not likely decrease. This turn of events is not at all unexpected though, a huge boost in price lead a huge boost in hashing power. A huge drop in price effectively curtailed such a continued expansion, but it's much harder to get out of mining than it is to get in. So we see a bit of stabilization.

My worry about the current stabilization is that concept known as stagflation. Interest and demand taper off, while bitcoins continue to be pumped into the system. Hopefully the new stabilization in both hashing power and price ("stabilization" obviously) will attract more businesses to accept bitcoins as payment. Without the dreaded price swings, it should be more business friendly for those looking at balancing the books.

It seems most people are in agreement that the software is simply not ready for prime time yet. That is, you will find a lot of smaller businesses and even some urban shops taking BTC (as with the recent CNN story), but a broader adoption will not happen unless the security issues are ironed out. Expecting mainstream consumers to encrypt their wallets is simply not realistic.

As for the difficulty, it is rather amusing to see a potential stabilization after a month or so of chicken little calls for dramatic 50+% increases to the moon.
bcpokey

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:51:03 PM

It seems most people are in agreement that the software is simply not ready for prime time yet. That is, you will find a lot of smaller businesses and even some urban shops taking BTC (as with the recent CNN story), but a broader adoption will not happen unless the security issues are ironed out. Expecting mainstream consumers to encrypt their wallets is simply not realistic.

As for the difficulty, it is rather amusing to see a potential stabilization after a month or so of chicken little calls for dramatic 50+% increases to the moon.

Well, I suppose that I agree with the idea of prime time delay, but it takes basically no infrastructure for a shop to at least open up the doors to accepting bitcoin (unlike the billions of dollars required to enable the smart phone CC readers which are coming out), so I see no reason why a shop couldn't at least potentially accept bitcoin as payment (especially online stores). Doesn't have to be an overnight thing, but the more places that are at least willing to accept the coin the better it is for bitcoin, and the faster you will see developments like enhanced security features.

I agree on the difficulty calls, I've been arguing with people for weeks who claimed that because between may and june there were huge increases that would always be so, even to the point of creating spreadsheets with future difficulty predictions > 1 BILLION. I had to hold myself back from actively calling these people out as things started to smooth over. I don't know the future though so I may end up just as wrong, so for now, I'm just enjoying the current state of affairs.
mike678

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 11:51:13 PM

I highly doubt the difficulty will ever go down. As people have already stated once you have the equipment you might as well just keep going because you are still turning a profit even if its less then before.

I wouldn't be surprised though if eventually we see 1% increases in difficulty or even less. This is where we are heading at the moment and unless some major event happens why should it not go there?
horrorshow

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 05:47:25 AM

Difficulty will go down. A lot of people who I know personally that mined are giving it up to not wear out their prized new cards, or any number of reasons like profitability and heat and power usage. It's the equivalent of a gold miner in the gold rush packing up and going home because it's not profitable. It happens. Profitability drops, difficulty decreases until reward once again reaches a point where more miners are attracted.

The price seems level. It may be some time before it rises again. I think this effect is obvious and we can expect some decrease.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:38:09 AM

Now it's an increase:

Next Difficulty
(in 1800 blocks)
NetTecture

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:05:07 AM

Dont forget the namecoin adjustment - some pools went over to deplete the low compexity in namecoins for some days, then will return to bitcoin.
bcpokey

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:22:18 AM

Namecoin is a tiny fraction, I don't believe it has any real effect on bitcoin hashrates.
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 08:08:49 AM

Now it's an increase:

Next Difficulty
(in 1800 blocks)

That would be a reasonably modest increase compared to the sub-1680000 predictions. I guess it goes to show that most people are pulling at straws with mining speculation.
XRcode

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:42:50 AM

Those readings are 10 blocks after a difficulty change..... They mean nothing.
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 01:03:50 AM

Namecoin is a tiny fraction, I don't believe it has any real effect on bitcoin hashrates.

Nearly 800 Ghash jumped to namecoin yesterday. That is significant
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 01:12:04 AM

800Gh/s is a large fraction. Get educated, learn some math, go to school, don't do drugs.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 01:30:32 AM

Get educated, learn some math, go to school, don't do drugs.
I saw that not long ago and I'm ok with that Grin

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 02:08:15 AM

Those readings are 10 blocks after a difficulty change..... They mean nothing.

That's the entire reason I posted mine, to show that it doesn't matter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: