Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 09:21:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Predicting upcoming VOLTA hashrate  (Read 664 times)
x8664amd (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 6

Long term HODLer since 2014

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 01:53:44 AM

Don't expect any improvements over 1080Ti in the newly released cards. As others have noted, these most likely, will be a refresh. Therefore below could be expected:
- If it's a refresh based on 1080Ti shader count, there might be 10% increase (saturation of TDP, even with process optimizations / die shrink)
- If it's a refresh based on the 1070Ti shader count, there might be 15% increase (more room).
- If it's a new card based on cut down version of Titan V, see case of 1080Ti again. As the Titan V is about 25-35% faster than 1080Ti depending on the applicaiton, it is unreasonable to expect same gain for non Titan series.

All in all, my recommendation (given market conditions) is to load up on the Titan Xp (collector's edition cards) as these are retailing now below 1080Ti pricing and will definitely have better resell value. At the same time, with optimized temperatures these cards hash at least 10% faster than aftermarket 1080Ti's.

Why do you say that if based on 1070Ti shader count, we would see a bigger improvement of 15%? Genuinely curious about this from a more technical standpoint.

Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Just HODL.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 10:17:48 PM

Honestly I don't care that much about it's hash/W right now.

Anyone wanna predict it's price?

Nvidia’s top-end GTX graphics cards could more than double in price

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
MTS Coin

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 12:11:37 AM

Honestly I don't care that much about it's hash/W right now.

Anyone wanna predict it's price?

Nvidia’s top-end GTX graphics cards could more than double in price

I fear the worst. The markets are only getting more depleted in the GPU area.
Druiz287

Activity: 56
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 12:27:24 AM

Has anyone heard that the 20 series would be made to not support any type of mining?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 12:36:09 AM

Has anyone heard that the 20 series would be made to not support any type of mining?

Sounds like a rumor started by a desperate gamer. Why would Nvidia waste resources doing something so dumb, when they make money selling cards to miners?
TheMrJ

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:28:43 AM

Sounds like a rumor started by a desperate gamer. Why would Nvidia waste resources doing something so dumb, when they make money selling cards to miners?

maybe they want to sell more specially GPU for miners. That would be the best for the gamers.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 10:28:28 AM

Have also read somewhere that announcement could take place on 26-29 March. Don't know how true this rumor is but maybe.

Druiz287

Activity: 56
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:45:21 PM

maybe they want to sell more specially GPU for miners. That would be the best for the gamers.

"Also remember that NVIDIA has recently said that GeForce graphics cards are for gamers, and not miners, with the company already making retailers aware of this."

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60812/nvidia-block-geforce-gtx-20-series-cards-mining/index.html

NVIDIA is not happy that cards are being taken away from gamers.  I wish they would actually make gaming specific cards and mining specific cards because there is a very different supply, demand, and hence equilibrium price for each.  I am a miner, and I have 10 GTX 1070s running at all times.  But I still don't think its fair to monopolize the supply.  Why should gamers suffer because of miners?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: