Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:43:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Americans giving up their citizenship?  (Read 1592 times)
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:54:58 PM

I always though it was kind of weird to be proud of where you were born, as if you had any choice in the matter.

These are my sentiments; to be proud of one's country is to be proud of one's ethnicity or height or social class--in other words, facetious bullshit people adopt when they have nothing else to take pride in for having done nothing their lives thus far.

Or religion... In some ways it might be healthy for small communities. But can be rather destructive too.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 03:06:45 PM

Or religion... In some ways it might be healthy for small communities. But can be rather destructive too.

I often lump religion and nationalism together, they're very much alike Grin  It seems a recurring theme in our world that any large centralization of power lends to disastrous results.  The crusades did not happen because one or two Christians got together and decided they'd try to take over the holy lands; the religion had a huge following and all had high respects for their various leaders; one Pope decided he needed to conquer and take control over the holy lands, and had the influence to control his followers through manipulation.  The incredible amount of power religion had during this time is unreal, but the blinding patriotism of today is eerily reminiscent; it's like being trapped in this little mental box where your leader cannot be wrong under any circumstance; even if God says "No killing please", the Christians of this time found a way to ignore this, and even if good conscious says "No killing please", patriots find a way to ignore this.  The "greater calling" always beats one's own humanity, it seems.

wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:54:00 PM

if i actually had some real money, i'd probably do it too.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: