Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:12:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What software can be used mining altcoin on MacBook?  (Read 240 times)
Husna QA (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 2853

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2018, 07:30:37 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2018, 08:41:59 AM by Husna QA

I'm a MacBook Pro user. In some of the tutorials, I see on the internet, the average software that is discussed specifically mining (altcoin) for Microsoft Windows users, perhaps anyone can advise what software is stable if used for mining (altcoin) using a Macbook.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
danialzo

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 07:41:22 AM

You can try minergate cli or gui or https://minergate.com/altminers/yam. Either way you will be wasting your time, electricity, and hardware components. Not to mentioned you may blow up your components due to heat and lack of cooling system.

However, it can be an experiment to start learning and understand. I've been there and tried mining on a Macbook with highest specs.
Husna QA (OP)
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2018, 07:57:21 AM

You can try minergate cli or gui or https://minergate.com/altminers/yam. Either way you will be wasting your time, electricity, and hardware components. Not to mentioned you may blow up your components due to heat and lack of cooling system.

However, it can be an experiment to start learning and understand. I've been there and tried mining on a Macbook with highest specs.
Thank you for your advice. I have only been studying Cryptocurrency for months. So I try to follow some forums to learn it, including how to mining (altcoin) by using my computer.

jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 09:09:44 AM

So I try to follow some forums to learn it, including how to mining (altcoin) by using my computer.
it's ok if only for learning. you can try mining the ETN coin. follow this step:
1. joined the Pool (you can search with key "Pool of ETN" or anything).
2. Download a software such this: Claymore CryptoNote CPU Miner v3.9 - POOL
3. and a bit must change CONFIGURATION FILE. for the detail, jump to this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=647251.0

But if find for the profit, I suggest you don't do mining using Mac. that's a device not design for a mining and must run 24/7, it makes a Processor worked 100%. and most very important if using Mac, you would have a bit the hashrate.
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 10:47:47 AM

I'm a MacBook Pro user. In some of the tutorials I see on the internet, the average software that is discussed specifically mining (altcoin) for Microsoft Windows users, perhaps anyone can advise what software is stable if used for mining (altcoin) using a Macbook.

You should first tell us reason why would you do that?
RYXES

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

Merit me or don't.

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 11:28:56 AM

MacBooks are too good to be wrecked on mining! Your best bet is selling the macbook (providing it is good) and using the money to buy a few gpus and mobo and mine that way.

Merit me or don't.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 11:32:39 AM

It's not even limited to just MacBooks or Apple devices for that matter, don't mine on ANY mobile devices. As mentioned before, these laptops or mobile devices don't have the cooling to be run at full utilization for long periods of time. It's much better to just save your earnings and eventually buy a rig if you wish to mine.

It is possible to mine with select threads on your CPU, but if you choose to do so then you'll be mining an amount of crypto so small it'll not be worth your time.
Husna QA (OP)
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2018, 11:49:27 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 06:39:22 AM by Husna QA

So I try to follow some forums to learn it, including how to mining (altcoin) by using my computer.
it's ok if only for learning. you can try mining the ETN coin. follow this step:
1. joined the Pool (you can search with key "Pool of ETN" or anything).
2. Download a software such as this: Claymore CryptoNote CPU Miner v3.9 - POOL
3. and a bit must change CONFIGURATION FILE. for the detail, jump to this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=647251.0

But if find for the profit, I suggest you don't do mining using Mac. that's a device not design for a mining and must run 24/7, it makes a Processor worked 100%. and most very important if using Mac, you would have a bit the hash rate.
Thanks for your information. Previously I also have read in the Kaskus Forum (Indonesia) about mining using the CPU: https://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/56fa1a79582b2e79628b4567/sharing-cara-menambang-ethereum-zcash-dll-di-komputer-pc/
There described how to use Claymore and how to modify it. However, it is just for Windows and Linux, while all I have is a MacBook. So I want to know if on Mac there is also software like that.

Turkish88

Activity: 714
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 11:49:38 AM

Install parralels and mine shitcoins. Your pro cant mine something more

Help to Ukrainian citizens
ETH donations adress - 0xe23CB47AC32F0b8750d4D0Dd4e160Fa6F8fF30EF
Husna QA (OP)
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2018, 12:01:42 PM

It's not even limited to just MacBooks or Apple devices for that matter, don't mine on ANY mobile devices. As mentioned before, these laptops or mobile devices don't have the cooling to be run at full utilization for long periods of time. It's much better to just save your earnings and eventually buy a rig if you wish to mine.

It is possible to mine with select threads on your CPU, but if you choose to do so then you'll be mining an amount of crypto so small it'll not be worth your time.
Thanks for your suggestion, I am mining using MacBook more to want to learn, and add my knowledge in Cryptocurrency field. Not to seek profit only. Thanks to this forum, I can gain knowledge from the masters.

kriskarthik

Activity: 258
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 01:10:16 PM

Don’t do mining with MacBooks. You will certainly regret it over time. I have first hand experience in it. I was mining with Minergate GUI in my MacBook for a while and that’s one of the stupid most thing I ever did. Don’t do it.

jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 02:09:53 PM

this is a fact :
Don’t do mining with MacBooks. You will certainly regret it over time. I have first hand experience in it. I was mining with Minergate GUI in my MacBook for a while and that’s one of the stupid most thing I ever did. Don’t do it.

I suggest you OP and write in detail your experienced about mining using a laptop especially MacBook Pro and  kinds. because of has a ton of thread the same question. maybe with your experience can answer all the someone would mining using that device. almost all member including I doesn't suggest mining using laptop or Mac. in principle and architecture of that device can analysis:
1. almost all laptops (Mac, and kinds) doesn't design for mining (atm).
2. has a little fan.
3. batteries not designed for running 24/7.
4. casing which is not possible to remove heat temperature.
5. the hashrate generated a small if compared Using GPUs.
Zeth0

Activity: 7
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:34:20 PM
Merited by Husna QA (4)

I totally agree with kriskarthik about not mining on Apple devices at all... unless you have some really old Macbook that you don't mind "trashing" in exchange for the knowledge...

The current line of Macbooks or MBP series are designed with aesthetics and mobility in mind rather and longevity. Im sure those MBP owners can still get their 2008 or perhaps earlier models still running even to-date (albeit very much slower and a lot of wait times) but the newer line of MBPs are a different story - really finicky and I dare say not long lasting.

I have a 2008 macbook and a late 2016 MBP Touch Bar. Both of which I sampled and tried with mining. The 2008 model with a Core Duo 2.5Ghz hashes about 20-25H/s while the 2016 MBP hashes at about 90H/s.

With the 2008 model, I've got nothing to lose since its set up to be a server and it a really old model. I also used it to learn about crypto. But while waiting for my actual rig to arrive, I got tempted to start mining on the MBP. I didn't mine for that long, perhaps about 5 days total (with a power timer to switch on and off the charging every 2.5hrs), cause the heat coming off the MBP was a concern to me. Alas, I did use it to plot my HDD for BURST mining perhaps for another week. After that, while I was working on a spreadsheet, the MBP suddenly shutdown & would not start again!

Learn from my experience ... For those on Macs or any laptop for that matter, while the idea of earning some bucks may entice you to use your lap, its really not worth the electricity and increased risks of damaging your hardware. Better get yourself a rig that is dedicated to mining - at least you have the flexibility to add more cooling aside from the obviously significant increase in hash rate

Thanks for your suggestion, I am mining using MacBook more to want to learn, and add my knowledge in Cryptocurrency field. Not to seek profit only. Thanks to this forum, I can gain knowledge from the masters.

Salaam Husna. With what I have said above, and if your purpose is to learn about cryptocurrency and mining, then you could look at mining cryptonight coins. I used XMR-Stak to compile and run the miner on Mac. The instructions are pretty straight forward.

You can look at how you can do that > https://github.com/fireice-uk/xmr-stak/blob/master/doc/compile_MacOS.md

Brief instructions:

1. Install Homebrew.
a. Open Terminal (press Command + Spacebar to open spotlight; search for terminal and press Enter)
b. Type the following in terminal >  /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Once homebrew is installed, go to the XMR-STAK directory and type the following step-by-step (below taken from XMR-STAK's compiling instructions)
2. brew install hwloc libmicrohttpd gcc openssl cmake
3. cmake . -DOPENSSL_ROOT_DIR=/usr/local/opt/openssl -DCUDA_ENABLE=OFF -DOpenCL_ENABLE=OFF
4. make install

After you have compiled, go to the Bin folder and run the miner with "sudo ./xmr-stak". The first time you run, the miner will ask the coins that you want to mine, the pool address, your wallet address, etc. Better have them ready.

Once that's completed, you should already be mining...

But be warned with my experience above.
Husna QA (OP)
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2018, 10:22:09 PM

this is a fact :

I suggest you OP and write in detail your experienced about mining using a laptop especially MacBook Pro and  kinds. because of has a ton of thread the same question. maybe with your experience can answer all the someone would mining using that device. almost all member including I doesn't suggest mining using laptop or Mac. in principle and architecture of that device can analysis:
1. almost all laptops (Mac, and kinds) doesn't design for mining (atm).
2. has a little fan.
3. batteries not designed for running 24/7.
4. casing which is not possible to remove heat temperature.
5. the hashrate generated a small if compared Using GPUs.

Thank you for sharing your experience and give some reasons why mining with MacBook is not recommended

Husna QA (OP)
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2018, 10:36:55 PM

I totally agree with kriskarthik about not mining on Apple devices at all... unless you have some really old Macbook that you don't mind "trashing" in exchange for the knowledge...

The current line of Macbooks or MBP series are designed with aesthetics and mobility in mind rather and longevity. Im sure those MBP owners can still get their 2008 or perhaps earlier models still running even to-date (albeit very much slower and a lot of wait times) but the newer line of MBPs are a different story - really finicky and I dare say not long lasting.

I have a 2008 macbook and a late 2016 MBP Touch Bar. Both of which I sampled and tried with mining. The 2008 model with a Core Duo 2.5Ghz hashes about 20-25H/s while the 2016 MBP hashes at about 90H/s.

With the 2008 model, I've got nothing to lose since its set up to be a server and it a really old model. I also used it to learn about crypto. But while waiting for my actual rig to arrive, I got tempted to start mining on the MBP. I didn't mine for that long, perhaps about 5 days total (with a power timer to switch on and off the charging every 2.5hrs), cause the heat coming off the MBP was a concern to me. Alas, I did use it to plot my HDD for BURST mining perhaps for another week. After that, while I was working on a spreadsheet, the MBP suddenly shutdown & would not start again!

Learn from my experience ... For those on Macs or any laptop for that matter, while the idea of earning some bucks may entice you to use your lap, its really not worth the electricity and increased risks of damaging your hardware. Better get yourself a rig that is dedicated to mining - at least you have the flexibility to add more cooling aside from the obviously significant increase in hash rate

Salaam Husna. With what I have said above, and if your purpose is to learn about cryptocurrency and mining, then you could look at mining cryptonight coins. I used XMR-Stak to compile and run the miner on Mac. The instructions are pretty straight forward.

You can look at how you can do that > https://github.com/fireice-uk/xmr-stak/blob/master/doc/compile_MacOS.md

Brief instructions:

1. Install Homebrew.
a. Open Terminal (press Command + Spacebar to open spotlight; search for terminal and press Enter)
b. Type the following in terminal >  /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Once homebrew is installed, go to the XMR-STAK directory and type the following step-by-step (below taken from XMR-STAK's compiling instructions)
2. brew install hwloc libmicrohttpd gcc openssl cmake
3. cmake . -DOPENSSL_ROOT_DIR=/usr/local/opt/openssl -DCUDA_ENABLE=OFF -DOpenCL_ENABLE=OFF
4. make install

After you have compiled, go to the Bin folder and run the miner with "sudo ./xmr-stak". The first time you run, the miner will ask the coins that you want to mine, the pool address, your wallet address, etc. Better have them ready.

Once that's completed, you should already be mining...

But be warned with my experience above.
Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge. This is what I mean to learn how far my Macbook can be used in Cryptocurrency. Previously I had no idea and was confused when first switching from Windows PC to Macbook due to different system. Precisely this is where I can finally understand how to use various devices with different os and one of them the science of mining with the Macbook.
Thanks for the tutorial link, I've bookmarked it in my browser.

Ultegra134

Activity: 1540
Merit: 744

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 11:05:19 PM

I'm a MacBook Pro user. In some of the tutorials I see on the internet, the average software that is discussed specifically mining (altcoin) for Microsoft Windows users, perhaps anyone can advise what software is stable if used for mining (altcoin) using a Macbook.
I haven't seen any major mining software operating on Mac, if there are, you'll be lucky to find a CPU miner. It's not even worth the risk trying to mine on a laptop, it's a torturing process and may even cause irreversible damage due to overheating.

Laptops - Mobile devices are not meant to run 24/7 on torture mode. Don't mine some crap coin and end up reducing your device's lifetime for nothing.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x