Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:05:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Clock is Ticking - Will there be a Government shutdown and how to prepare?  (Read 1663 times)
Lazer (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:06:29 AM

October 1st is right around the corner and there is still no consensus in Congress.

Personally, although I'm against the affordable care act, I don't agree with the method that is being used by House Republicans of "hijacking" the vote.

Will there be a government shutdown and do you want it to happen?

Should preparations be made in any way if worst comes to worst?

Will the post office still deliver mail?
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:18:39 AM

The only thing needed is the police and judicial system. The rest of government could remain shutdown indefinitely. The economy would really grow fast without a vast bureaucratic cancerous lymphoma suffocating it.

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:24:52 AM

I personally am looking forward to complete anarchy. Might drive up the price of Bitcoin and increase the value of my Jally.

More to the point, the complete failure of electricity and infrastructure nationwide will shut down most of the weak miners, thus preventing difficulty from going up. Likewise deterioration of roads, lack of air traffic control, and the shutdown of all postal systems will prevent more ASICs from getting to people, thus boosting my little Jally's output. Heck, difficulty might even go down, which means more bitcoin for me.

C
(Why yes, I can run my JP and internet link on solar power :-)
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:18:19 AM

I don't think there will be a gov shutdown or anarchy any time soon in the USA.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:42:31 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2013, 06:32:29 PM by pedrog

I don't understand this ObamaCare thing, is it good or not? Will it bring health costs down? Will more people have access to health-care?

scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 05:42:23 PM

The only thing needed is the police and judicial system. The rest of government could remain shutdown indefinitely. The economy would really grow fast without a vast bureaucratic cancerous lymphoma suffocating it.
That doesn't really work in practice. A lot of people would be screwed without proper transitional infrastructure in place. Privileged people would be fine; poor folk, seniors, at-risk kids, mentally ill..... take your pick, but fuck the economy if society looks like what it will in this scenario.

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 05:58:57 PM

Prepare? Did you really write that?
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:28:15 PM

if it happens, no ones really gonna feel it. if it goes on long enough that they have to actually start cutting into vital services, it'll end pretty quick i think. we'll see, i guess, but i'm not too worried about it.

Cool

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 09:33:26 PM

No, just the threat of the shutdown will be used to "justify" further taxing all law-abiders closer to bankruptcy.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 09:38:43 PM

They will shut down and buy out bitcoin. Re-open with the majority of btc to use for bailouts for every undeserving individual and company that is run by govnt.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:11:40 PM

someone mentioned services for poor, seniors, mentally ill. what about them? you laugh at them?  Huh

wasserman99

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 12:27:25 AM

that's a really brilliant response, so what is your opinion, in your own words? on the above? and on the notion, as mentioned in the same post, of a "transitional infrastructure"? and what kind of a society do you want, ideally, in regards to poor, elderly, mentally and physically disabled, etc people?

wasserman99

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 12:42:59 AM

that's a really brilliant response, so what is your opinion, in your own words? on the above? and on the notion, as mentioned in the same post, of a "transitional infrastructure"? and what kind of a society do you want, ideally, in regards to poor, elderly, mentally and physically disabled, etc people?

Could you clarify your questions and define "transitional infrastructure"?

questions are pretty clear, honestly, and the dictionary definitions of both words, put together  Smiley

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 07:25:59 AM

They should shut down banking for a few weeks, that would be enough to get bitcoins to the mainstream.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:15:20 PM

If a shutdown means I don't have to deal with that one inch of total trash junk spam that they bring every day...

COOL....
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 07:51:20 PM

If a shutdown means I don't have to deal with that one inch of total trash junk spam that they bring every day...

COOL....
i hear that. moved into a new place recently and finally have a box big enough to fit most/all my mail, and then it turns out i get 5x the junk mail. wtf
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 08:00:36 PM

Here's where to opt-out of certain junk mail supposedly: DMAchoice.org

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:09:43 PM

Here's where to opt-out of certain junk mail supposedly: DMAchoice.org
Nothing directly from the post office, though? I think I am a little scared to give my information to these people...

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 09:05:41 PM

Couldn't find USPS actual opt-out in a cursory Google search.

More on this:
http://www.today.com/id/18530707/ns/today-money/t/sick-mailbox-full-flyers-credit-card-offers/
http://consumerist.com/2008/03/13/8-ways-to-opt-out-of-junk-mail-lists/

RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 09:21:06 PM

The term "shutdown" that is being used for this charade is about as accurate as any other term used by politicians or 24x7 news outlets in need of a crisis to fill air time.  The givernment is not going to shut down.  Remember, these are government people that are left to determine the meaning of "non-essential services."  What high-level, career government official or politician has ever believed that there are any non-essential government services?  Some offices will be closed to cause political pain and some will run on reduced staff and/or hours to make a public showing.

I am still amazed though that the Senate democrats are willing to "bring the government to a stand-still" (their phrase, not mine) over one piece of funding.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: