Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:45:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 74 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Chili – 30+GH/s BFL based Bitcoin Miner Assembly  (Read 137665 times)
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:18:31 AM

I'm sorry, did I read that right? You didn't want to take peoples money before you had the product developed and the supply line secured...what in the heck?! That goes against everything I know to be true about ASIC manufacturers to date. MrTeal sir, you and ChipGeek definately get my hats off for a job well done.

Only wishing I would've had more to invest at the beginning Smiley

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dagger75

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:20:01 AM

I'm sorry, did I read that right? You didn't want to take peoples money before you had the product developed and the supply line secured...what in the heck?! That goes against everything I know to be true about ASIC manufacturers to date. MrTeal sir, you and ChipGeek definately get my hats off for a job well done.

Only wishing I would've had more to invest at the beginning Smiley

I agree 100%  This is going to be a great board to really see what the BFL chips can do w/ all the cooling options and O/C friendly Firmware available.

They have done a great job with this venture.

>>>http://foundation.leafco.in/<<<  Please help support our cause

>>>A True Alt, with a True Purpose<<<  $$Leafcoin$$
Kaega

Activity: 158

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 05:24:43 AM

Good work!  I wish I had some funds to by up my chip credits, but by the time I get that together, cheaper options will probably be available.  I hope you are considering the same form-factor for other chips (BitFury?).

Protect your coin: Buy a Treznor
up2urheadlights

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 01:16:30 PM

I'm looking to Buy another 8 Chips from someone in MrTeals Groupbuys.  Paying 2 BTC for 8 Chips

Send a PM please

I'm happy to sell, but not at a loss I'm afraid.

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but this board will never be profitable with the current pricing.  I almost want to buy one to have a piece of bitcoin history, but I'm not interested in losing money either.

Do the math $56 per chip times 8 = $448, plus $300 for board = $748.  Now factor in the cooling solution and extra psu needs.  That adds ~$70.

So for $818 I can get 30 ghs when?  Nobody has mentioned when these will be available.

Go to http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ and plug in 30ghs at 180w for $818.  If I start mining immediately I will never hit the black.  I have to assume that if I purchased chips from mmmerlin and waited for assembly I wouldn't get these for another 2 difficulty increases, which are exponentially growing.

Face it mmmerlin, you speculated long ago and are now learning that these chips were a poor investment and are trying to dump it on other people.  Either accept offers for a loss now or wait until you get your boards and hash yourself.  Who knows, maybe BTC will hit $300 and you'll get your coin back.

mmmerlin

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:24:03 PM

I'm looking to Buy another 8 Chips from someone in MrTeals Groupbuys.  Paying 2 BTC for 8 Chips

Send a PM please

I'm happy to sell, but not at a loss I'm afraid.

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but this board will never be profitable with the current pricing.  I almost want to buy one to have a piece of bitcoin history, but I'm not interested in losing money either.

Do the math $56 per chip times 8 = $448, plus $300 for board = $748.  Now factor in the cooling solution and extra psu needs.  That adds ~$70.

So for $818 I can get 30 ghs when?  Nobody has mentioned when these will be available.

Go to http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ and plug in 30ghs at 180w for $818.  If I start mining immediately I will never hit the black.  I have to assume that if I purchased chips from mmmerlin and waited for assembly I wouldn't get these for another 2 difficulty increases, which are exponentially growing.

Face it mmmerlin, you speculated long ago and are now learning that these chips were a poor investment and are trying to dump it on other people.  Either accept offers for a loss now or wait until you get your boards and hash yourself.  Who knows, maybe BTC will hit $300 and you'll get your coin back.

That was an offer made out of kindness from me to people who were looking to order BFL chips now for delivery in 100 days, so that they could skip the lead-time and get mining sooner. If they're going to pay full price to BFL why should I sell at a loss?!

I'm very much "facing it" as you put it. The reason I am unwilling to sell at a loss because I actually still want these chips, so if others don't buy them I will simply keep the units I ordered, as was the original plan, but I'm not going to subsidise other people's purchase with hardware that I want.

Personally, I don't think that BTC needs to hit $300 for these units to pay for themselves, but I'll leave you to your opinions and the calculations you make with that infallible calculator. But I want to be clear that I'm not trying "dump" my loss on other people, I am offering chips to people who want to buy them, that is all.
mmmerlin

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:13:37 PM

Try reading the OP.
up2urheadlights

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:35:06 AM

Try reading the OP.

I did, it says assembly begins Oct. 7, doesn't mention how long assembly will take.  I think my point is pretty valid.  I apologize to OP for the devolution of this thread.  I think $300 is a fair price for assembly/parts.  I just think the way BFL priced the chips and the lead time has hindered the project irreparably and these will have limited prospects as investments.  Don't get me wrong I think the same thing of all asics on the market that are in stock, they are just priced too high for ROI.  Again if you'd rather hash these boards yourself then do that, you aren't doing anyone a favor trying to sell chips unless they really want one as a novelty.
mmmerlin

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:47:59 AM

So for $818 I can get 30 ghs when?  Nobody has mentioned when these will be available.

Try reading the OP.

I did, it says assembly begins Oct. 7, doesn't mention how long assembly will take.  I think my point is pretty valid.  I apologize to OP for the devolution of this thread.  I think $300 is a fair price for assembly/parts.  I just think the way BFL priced the chips and the lead time has hindered the project irreparably and these will have limited prospects as investments.  Don't get me wrong I think the same thing of all asics on the market that are in stock, they are just priced too high for ROI.  Again if you'd rather hash these boards yourself then do that, you aren't doing anyone a favor trying to sell chips unless they really want one as a novelty.

Fair enough, message MrTeal/ChipGeek if you want to know how long after assembly to expect delivery, but the OP implies that is price dependent, and it's also somewhat moot as you don't have any chips.

$300 for assembly is very cheap, and this includes all the R&D they did, which is not cheap, so this really is a hell of a bargain on the board front (IMHO).

The last thing I am here to do is defend BFL for a minute, don't get me wrong. My only points are:

1) I am doing anyone who wants to buy chips now and doesn't want to wait 100 days a favour by selling to them, pretty much by definition. If they don't want to buy then they won't, but if they do then they will surely appreciate the opportunity. But as I said, people can take it or leave it, I'm quite happy either way. But I'm trying to give people an opportunity the wouldn't otherwise have, not shove my loss onto people.

2) You and everyone else would do well to take that calculator's results with a pinch of salt. Or, more accurately, think about what you're putting in, and know how far down plot the results stay meaningful. If you fast forward those calculations a year or so more, you'd find that every clock cycle on earth would have to be mining bitcoins, and would be drawing all the power being generated worldwide. In the short term that calculator is a very useful tool, but people need to use their discretion to decide when that short term usefullness breaks down and starts spouting meaningless drivel. Not not many people seem able to do this. I'm not saying these chips are great value, or that they'll ever pay for themselves completely, but you need to have a careful look at the maths behind things...
ChipGeek

Activity: 198

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:19:36 PM

2) You and everyone else would do well to take that calculator's results with a pinch of salt. Or, more accurately, think about what you're putting in, and know how far down plot the results stay meaningful. If you fast forward those calculations a year or so more, you'd find that every clock cycle on earth would have to be mining bitcoins, and would be drawing all the power being generated worldwide. In the short term that calculator is a very useful tool, but people need to use their discretion to decide when that short term usefullness breaks down and starts spouting meaningless drivel. Not not many people seem able to do this. I'm not saying these chips are great value, or that they'll ever pay for themselves completely, but you need to have a careful look at the maths behind things...

^^ This.

At some point, the network hashing rate growth will slow down.  Even if BTC is $1000/BTC because there's only so much electric power on the planet.  That said, I expect in some point in the future, hashing ASICs will move to the next processing node (20nm?  14nm) and we'll get even more GH / J than we do now. 

But the real point is that it cannot grow exponentially forever.  Even the sun itself wouldn't have enough power at some point.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
shade88

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:30:37 PM

This prob won't break even but it's on time so far, so it's only right that I paid for 2 boards that I ordered from MrTeal last June. Hope assembly starts at 3rd Oct, time is money Cheesy
krayzie32

Activity: 479

https://streamies.io/

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:31:20 PM

This is true but that calculator will be pretty accurate up to Feb of next year when it should start to level off so if you can't ROI by Feb of next year then I don't see a point in a purchase at this time.  I'm sitting out of Asics until then, way too many pre-orders going around and nobody really knows what this difficulty is going to skyrocket to.

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
ChipGeek

Activity: 198

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:21:24 PM

I did, it says assembly begins Oct. 7, doesn't mention how long assembly will take. 
Although we cannot commit with 100% certainty, we are expecting to ship everyone's boards by Friday, Oct. 11.  (that's 2013 for the BFL fans out there.  Wink )

The biggest risk to the schedule at the moment is how long it will take to program and test all of the boards.  We have a team lined up to do this but given that doing 100's of boards is VERY different than doing 1 or 2, we don't really know how long this will take.  We have solid estimates but they are only estimates.  If we start to fall behind on the first day, we'll add more people and a second shift if necessary.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 05:24:03 AM

For folks getting boards potentially this coming weekend... what do we need to have in place to be ready to run the units?

Can we just plug them into empty PCIe slots and go to town? What specifically do we need for cooling? Do we need to buy brackets from somewhere for mounting?

I'd like to get whatever is needed on order to be ready for a fun weekend of playing with a new toy.
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:12:46 PM

Great. Now that there's actual demand for the chips..... I have 100 chip credits for sale. PM me if you're interested.
mmmerlin

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:27:19 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2013, 04:00:13 PM by mmmerlin

For folks getting boards potentially this coming weekend... what do we need to have in place to be ready to run the units?

Can we just plug them into empty PCIe slots and go to town? What specifically do we need for cooling? Do we need to buy brackets from somewhere for mounting?

I'd like to get whatever is needed on order to be ready for a fun weekend of playing with a new toy.

This is not an necessarily an exhaustive list, but it's a start. You will need:

A host computer
Mining software
An internet connection(!)
A PSU
A USB cable
A cooler (CPU or GPU - see above for ones that are compatible)
TIM (or grease if you're feeling lucky - again, see above)

Things you will NOT need:

A PCI slot on a mobo!

These boards have PCI shaped slots and brackets to help with mounting them, but they do not communicate via PCI, they are USB just like the BFL units!

That's all I can think of for now, but I've probably missed stuff!

EDIT: Required software is vanilla cgminer by the way.
mmmerlin

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:28:52 PM

Great. Now that there's actual demand for the chips..... I have 100 chip credits for sale. PM me if you're interested.

Nobody is even buying chips that are in hand for reasonable money, trust me, nobody is going to buy your chip credits. I don't say this to be mean but to manage your expectations, sorry. Sad
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 12:32:12 PM

Still have 48 chips left for sale from my 128 chip buy.

PM me if you are interested.

They are BTC5.5 for 16 chips or BTC15.5 for all 48.

They are in Canadian Customs at the moment, will be released today or tomorrow.

Thanks,
af_newbie

mmmerlin

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:35:36 PM

Still have 48 chips left for sale from my 128 chip buy.

PM me if you are interested.

They are BTC5.5 for 16 chips or BTC15.5 for all 48.

They are in Canadian Customs at the moment, will be released today or tomorrow.

Thanks,
af_newbie

Nobody is even buying chips that are in hand for reasonable money, trust me, nobody is going to buy your chip credits. I don't say this to be mean but to manage your expectations, sorry. Sad

^^ See what I mean?!  Undecided
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:45:39 PM

Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about real chips. I'm just glad someone got the board working.
mmmerlin

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 02:36:42 PM

Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about real chips. I'm just glad someone got the board working.

I know, and very impressive looking stuff too! Total pros, both of them! Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 74 »
  Print  

Jump to: