Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:07:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it wrong...  (Read 6996 times)
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:54:58 AM

I hate to over simplify it, but that sounds like it's because kids who take meds have a problem, kids who don't take meds are fine.

There is a direct link between suicide rate increase among teens with the increase of prescriptions handed out. Efforts in recent years have helped curve this some since it became known. Keep in mind being in the state Atlas is in use to be just a teenager going through changes in life which is normal. Implying someone is different and has a disorder only further alienates them and their feelings from others that aren't labeled as such, compounding the issue further.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 01:01:48 AM

I hate to over simplify it, but that sounds like it's because kids who take meds have a problem, kids who don't take meds are fine.

There is a direct link between suicide rate increase among teens with the increase of prescriptions handed out.

Obesity rates and Big Mac sales correlate, too. Does that mean shutting down McDonalds is going to make America skinny?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:08:24 AM

Obesity rates and Big Mac sales correlate, too. Does that mean shutting down McDonalds is going to make America skinny?

I'd wager 100btc shutting down current fast food chains would reduce American obesity.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:11:50 AM

Atlas reminds me of me when I was his age. Medication and counselling helped me out. I'm no longer medicated and I've taken control and responsibility of my actions and feelings. The drugs helped, but they only work if you use them as a stepping stone.

Edit: Looking back I know that eating well, exersizing, getting sun and stepping out of my comfort zone was all that I needed. Except it's not that easy when you're depressed. He needs to be fake happy for a little while so he can see what he's been missing.
Tronlet

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:41:33 AM

For the love of Ayn Rand just get fucking medicated already, you clearly need it.

Also, actually take the damn medications. You are clearly either manic depressive or bipolar, so don't stop taking them every time you have an upswing or downswing.

Ignore this Atlas and don't take any medication. Reason I don't recommend professional help is they have folks like JeffK thinking magical pills from advertisement in every media format being prescribed by professional's with pockets laced with corporate cash will some how fix your issue.

Check out the book Illusion's by Richard Bach

Oh dear god Atlas do not kill yourself by listening to this nutcase.

Medication isn't the answer to everything, but psychiatrists aren't some Illuminati group. Jesus. SID sounds like someone I once knew.

Anyway, you're cool.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 01:49:21 AM

I'd wager 100btc shutting down current fast food chains would reduce American obesity.

I'll take that bet, But first, go watch the fast food episode of Bullshit.

I'll be waiting on the deposit to the address in my sig.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 02:02:57 AM

Whenever i think killing myself makes sense i remember myself that a healthy mind would never come to that conclusion and just dismiss it as faulty and go after things that will help me to health up my mind.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:41:48 AM

I'll take that bet, But first, go watch the fast food episode of Bullshit.

I'll be waiting on the deposit to the address in my sig.

myrkul is right here.

You could also watch Fat Head, the documentary where a guy lost weight eating fast food for a month.

Hell, I'd definitely take that bet, last time I cut some weight I did low-carb, and would have fast food like once a day and still lost a solid 2lb/week consistently.

Kids on meds have a higher suicide rate because they were already much much more likely to commit suicide.

Atlas, listen to doctors, not people who say "don't take medications" on an internet forum. Get a damn professional opinion, maybe hit the gym and start eating better, and try to improve your life before throwing it away.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:54:46 AM

And don't forget to sleep enough, sleep deprivation can seriously fuck you up

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
nemo

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 05:16:18 AM

And don't jerk off too much, or smoke too much or drink too much. But for sure do all three. Just not too much.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:59:39 AM

Kids on meds have a higher suicide rate because they were already much much more likely to commit suicide.
As I understand it, the effect goes beyond that cause.

Some anti-depressants have two effects: they lift your mood, and they increase your general level of motivation. If a patient's motivation increases before their mood lifts, the patient feels that their life still sucks but is more likely to do something about it, and that something might be suicide.

In any case, for most people, the following things are way better than any prescription: sunshine, exercise, laughter, and friendly company. I suppose that sometimes the medication can make it easier to achieve laughter and friendly company, but sunshine and exercise are available to most people and are not plagued by side-effects.
JeffK

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:41:40 PM

Some anti-depressants have two effects: they lift your mood, and they increase your general level of motivation. If a patient's motivation increases before their mood lifts, the patient feels that their life still sucks but is more likely to do something about it, and that something might be suicide.

In any case, for most people, the following things are way better than any prescription: sunshine, exercise, laughter, and friendly company. I suppose that sometimes the medication can make it easier to achieve laughter and friendly company, but sunshine and exercise are available to most people and are not plagued by side-effects.

With the exception of amphetamines, the level of increased motivation is almost always caused by the greater mood, though I will agree that sunshine and exercise heps a ton too.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 09:48:54 PM

Meds are good. Contrary to what the paranoid naysayers may be saying, the can help you think things through with a clearer head. They're not needed for the rest of your life, but while you're in a weird situation, with your brain doing stupid stuff, taking some for a few months may help you figure things out and get on more solid footing in your life. That's what happened with me, anyway.
Or you can just kill yourself *shrug* It's your choice. "What may be missed" is a fallacy.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:30:15 PM

A great deal depends on what kind of depression you're talking about.  Unipolar depression tends to respond well to antidepressants but it's not an either/or - good sleep hygiene, exercise, eating well, stress reduction, etc are also pretty essential to recovery. For most people, there'll be no reason to remain on antidepressants for more than a few months after their depression has lifted.

Bipolar depression is a different beast and there's a significant risk of antidepressants triggering a manic or mixed episode in people with bipolar disorder.  People with bipolar disorder have a lifetime risk of completed suicide between 10% and 15%, depending on whose statistics you use, and mixed and manic states are the most dangerous for this because of the despair/motivation (motivation can be destructive as well as positive) combination you mentioned.  Bipolar disorder can easily be overlooked and misdiagnosed as unipolar depression because people don't go to their doctor when they're feeling on top of the world - the first indication of bipolar disorder can be a too rapid or too dramatic response to antidepressant.  People with bipolar disorder will generally be on mood stabilisers long-term because preventing further episodes is critical to minimising the suicide risk, but there are a ton of non-pharmaceutical things which need to be done in conjunction with medication in order to manage bipolar disorder well.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Tronlet

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:23:24 PM

So, Atlas has gone pretty long without posting for someone who has a 10+ post per day ratio.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 11:45:05 PM

Probably just taking the advice of those in this thread, and decompressing some. More power to him.

nemo

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 01:21:18 AM

Best thing is to bury this thread and move on.
JeffK

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:45:35 AM

Probably just taking the advice of those in this thread, and decompressing some. More power to him.

Hope so, he deleted his reddit but also was last active 2 hours ago, though that could be family members using the PC
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:29:12 PM

This seems like a huge publicity stunt to get more ratings... I mean were it atom in all this?

I wouldn't blame him for "killing himself off from the bitcoin forums" I mean with all this hoarding I've gone else where to make my money
Tronlet

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 10:48:26 PM

Hope so, he deleted his reddit but also was last active 2 hours ago, though that could be family members using the PC
Reddit was deleted a while ago, but yeah, maybe just decompressing then. Hope so.

Edit: He posted minutes ago.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: