Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:58:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Are Mt Gox!  (Read 1752 times)
MrCrabs (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 09:52:45 AM

It seem strange to me that people put so much trust in Mt Gox.  I have a 4 BTC there. I'd be hard pressed to leave much more there. The Reason.  I have absolutely no idea who they are. The site give nothing away. There is nothing about the directors. There is nothing about the plan for the future. Its all very Faceless.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:01:55 AM

It seem strange to me that people put so much trust in Mt Gox.  I have a 4 BTC there. I'd be hard pressed to leave much more there. The Reason.  I have absolutely no idea who they are. The site give nothing away. There is nothing about the directors. There is nothing about the plan for the future. Its all very Faceless.

MtGox is a real company in china(? or japan i think) run by http://www.tibanne.com/.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:02:23 AM

Mt Gox is run by Mark Karpeles aka Magical Tux

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:48:35 AM

It's Japan

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:07:59 PM

Welcome to the Internet!
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:09:17 PM

It seem strange to me that people put so much trust in Mt Gox.  I have a 4 BTC there. I'd be hard pressed to leave much more there. The Reason.  I have absolutely no idea who they are. The site give nothing away. There is nothing about the directors. There is nothing about the plan for the future. Its all very Faceless.

You can talk to the people who run it over IRC any time you want, they are very friendly. #mtgox on irc.freenode.net . They also have a sub-reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/mtgox.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:21:47 PM

/b/itcoin discussion: home of trolls

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
MrCrabs (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:23:12 AM

MtGox is a real company in china(? or japan i think) run by http://www.tibanne.com/.

Thanks.
But you prove my point.
I went to the link you posted and it gives nothing away.
if you look at the About us page.
Stock photo and minimum words.
I not trying to Troll.
But Really?
They need to post some shit about who they are.
What they are about.
And where they are going..
static

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 04:04:03 AM

i wouldn't trust mtgox to flush my fukin toilet.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 05:17:30 AM

Why? They just need to provide a good service, anything else is auxiliary. "Posting some shit" doesn't help us at all, as anyone can post some shit. Their time is better spent elsewhere.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
neofutur

Activity: 146

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:37:41 PM

Thanks.
But you prove my point.
I went to the link you posted and it gives nothing away.

false :

http://legal.tibanne.com/
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:40:19 PM

Name: Mark Karpeles
Company: Tibanne Co. Ltd.
Address: 26-1 Sakuragaoka-cho
Address (cont): Cerulean Tower 15F
City: Shibuya
Region: Tokyo
Zip: 150-8512

Took me 4 clicks from mtgox.com (it can be done it 2, but I wasn't sure where to go).

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
neofutur

Activity: 146

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:43:49 PM

Their time is better spent elsewhere.

+1, they had many more important things to do before, and tibanne bought mtgox.com only some months ago.

Anyway its true they should add a "about us" link on mtgox.com, even if most people here know MagicalTux and tibanne co.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:16:19 PM

We are working on this, and the tibanne.com website is scheduled to be re-built from zero soon (the current one is just some template from templatemonster with some text we created one year and half ago).

In the meantime if you want to see us, we got interviewed a few times in the bitcoinshow Wink
MrCrabs (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:41:48 AM

We are working on this, and the tibanne.com website is scheduled to be re-built from zero soon (the current one is just some template from templatemonster with some text we created one year and half ago).

In the meantime if you want to see us, we got interviewed a few times in the bitcoinshow Wink

MagicalTux,
It would seem to me that Trust is a big part of bitcoin. While I get that your running a business. There is little information about Mt Gox available. Information is important to people in order for them to make an informed choice.
You want people to trade on your site. Therefore you have to give them the confidence to do so. Looking at http://www.tibanne.com/ offers no reassurance regarding Mt Gox.

It can only be a good thing for the whole Bitcoin community if Mt Gox puts something of its self at stake.
 Smiley
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2011, 09:59:06 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2011, 10:14:48 AM by Jafm

i wouldn't trust mtgox to flush my fukin toilet.

I have never used Magic the Gathering Online Exchange, but I feel the same as you.

I have an idea to start an exchange, find a person with a lot of bitcoins, then write a simple program to save his password in clear text.
Access his account, sell all the coins to crash the market and then freeze/rollback the market exactly the way it I want it.
I would keep the coins of every single person that cannot prove they own their account, or if I simply don't like them.
I would make up any story I want.  If parts are shown to be questionable, who cares?  I would give most people their coins back, and they will still support me.

I would never do it of course, but I feel it has already been done.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: