Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:09:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Erratic Blade  (Read 1124 times)
goastler (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 12:51:24 PM

I'm running a 300W PSU with two yellow molex wires and four black molex wire going to the blade, as per by following dogie's guide on here. I've got an ethernet cable plugged directly in to the router and the blade. I managed to reach the config page of the blade and change the IP address and pool info to my stratum proxy, but once I refreshed nothing was happening. The blade didn't read that it was hashing and the proxy didn't pick anything up. I rebooted the blade once more only for things to get worse - the blade just sits there, no lights, nothing. I can't reach the config page on neither the custom IP I put in the config nor the default 192.168.1.254:8000. (I didn't change the port from 8000, so it's got to be the same). I had it so close to hashing and now its just stopped doing anything at all. Help?

I had another go at it a moment ago and when I switched the PSU on the blade gave a quick flash of two green lights from the l.e.d behind the ethenet port and then powered everything off, even the PSU. I don't know what is happening...
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 01:49:52 PM

Are you sure the blade is plugged in properly? Is the blade confirmed to be working properly?
goastler (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 02:08:51 PM

Yeah, I've followed the guide on here to the letter, so the cabling is all correct. I have used my multimeter to confirm that the PSU is chucking out ~11.67V to the blade. I don't know how to confirm that it's working any more than that. The green light suggests signs of life. I've managed to solve that problem - a wire has fallen out of the green power connector, so I guess the flashing green light indicates insufficient power. (I did my multimeter thing after fixing the cabling). Anyhow, I'm back to square one now with the blade just sitting there. I've got the ethernet in but neither the orange or green light is flashing on the port Sad
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 02:59:05 PM

you sure the PSU is capable of handling the wattage?? if its an old PSU it might have low wattage or might even be on its way out...
might be worth trying a different PSU

goastler (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 03:08:10 PM

It's just an old, generic, grey PSU from a Dell or something..... I see your point. How would I go about finding out whether the PSU can handle this kind of power requirements? Also, I've got another power supply I can get my hands on tomorrow, and that's 500W and only a week old so should do okay I guess
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 03:13:03 PM

It's just an old, generic, grey PSU from a Dell or something..... I see your point. How would I go about finding out whether the PSU can handle this kind of power requirements? Also, I've got another power supply I can get my hands on tomorrow, and that's 500W and only a week old so should do okay I guess

Dell and HP powersupplys can be funny because there designed for use in there equipment. it should say on the side on a sticker with a table of 12v, 5v 2v
a 300w PSU should be able to put something like 120w out on 12v rail....

personal id have a cheap PSU over a dell or HP PSU there good but i just dont like the way there set out and im not willing to take the risk they changed the color on the cables XD

goastler (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 03:43:25 PM

It's not a Dell branding though, I think it may be a custom one put inside a Dell before it came to me. Here's the table:
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9679/8ia4.jpg
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 04:51:41 PM

strange power supply which is only rated for about 170w are you using 240v or 115v??
dont think it matters but according to
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=205369.0
the blades use about 100w at stock
according to the guide your also close to the maximum amps on the 12v rail

it should be enough to run it aslong as you dont try to overclock

id have a check and make sure the wires are secure and clamped in properly
if that dosnt bring you any joy the next thing id do is try a newer PSU that will be a higher wattage

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:02:59 PM

if you want something to compare it to this is one of the cheapest PSUs in the UK
its about £13 or $20 and theres much higher AMPs on the 12v rails 32A compared to 12A on yours and its capable of 534w instead of 170w
so even if you have to buy a new PSU its not a very big bill XD and if you can get Alpine they can cope with some serious abuse

goastler (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:41:00 PM

My blade is the version 2 one, and I don't think you can overclock them can you? :S

I'll try this other PSU I have in the midst, it's a 500W be quiet one with a fair few amps down the 12V rail (can't remember specifically). If not I'll grab a PSU like that, £13 is a bargain! Where did you get it from?

Here's an image of my cabling and fitting, I think everything is in order.
https://i.imgur.com/WYQTvqw.jpg

The only thing I've done differently to the guide is combine two rails? But I read that that is common practice to spread the power.
https://i.imgur.com/0VJ6QPT.jpg
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:52:40 PM

i get alot of my stuff from
http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/power-supplies/computer-psu-atx-power-supply-unit-550watts-to-580watts
or i think PCworld do a few ok ones
i wouldn't run more than 2 blades off them but if its for 1 then they should be great and cheap to..
everything looks ok and i think you can overclock batch 2 blades (not had one so not sure)

at this stage it does look like a PSU problem (might be the PSU hasnt been used for a while and a sudden shocks knocked it out)

also your PSU and the Cheap one i posted are single Rail a multirail would have multiple colums on the sticker for +12v (PSUs are confusing XD)

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 06:04:12 PM

Just to show a multirail PSU
see how it has +12v 4 times and with a little number next to each on this PSU has 4 Rails (i love theses but sadly cant get them anymore)

goastler (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 06:15:31 PM

That's a pretty handy table, this is the first time I've ever used them. I think the one I'm obtaining tomorrow is multirail like your one, so it should work well. Yeah, if I got another blade I would buy a better PSU.

The grey PSU I'm using now is god knows how old, so I'll side with your hunch that that's the problem.

I haven't been able to find any resources on how to overclock the Gen 2 blades, but to be fair I've been preoccupied with getting this solved. I'll have a look now
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 06:19:00 PM

That's a pretty handy table, this is the first time I've ever used them. I think the one I'm obtaining tomorrow is multirail like your one, so it should work well. Yeah, if I got another blade I would buy a better PSU.

The grey PSU I'm using now is god knows how old, so I'll side with your hunch that that's the problem.

I haven't been able to find any resources on how to overclock the Gen 2 blades, but to be fair I've been preoccupied with getting this solved. I'll have a look now

it should either be in the onboard bios where all the settings and stuff are or if not it will be a flash overclock, if it is a flash overclock i wouldnt bother as it could go bad and then you have nothing Sad

most PSUs are not going back to single rail as it gives alot more flexibility you dont have to try load balancing between rails which can be a pain in the ass if you have power hungry toys XD

goastler (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 08:05:36 PM

Yeah, I thought it would be the High, Normal or Low settings like on the previous model but there's no option for any of that in the GUI.

I agree, I steer clear of firmware unless I know what I'm doing. I've had my fair share of bricks Sad

I'd like all of the PSU's to be multirail and modular Cheesy
mainhybrid

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 08:55:58 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2013, 09:10:32 PM by mainhybrid

Hi Guys.

I'm a total newbie on the bitcoin community, although I started mining with my GPU, the jumped to the first gen USB miners; I recently bought one ASIC miner 2nd gen blade.

To power the blade I'm using a 450W PSU and is wired based on this forum's guide. And for references i will not add more blades nor overclock this one.

I can not tell if this is working well or not because the blade when is initially turned on the green led light turns on and afterwards the Ethernet port shows activity, but when I go to my router's admin page there is no additional clients other than the ones already there.

Is there a way to hook up this blade to a pc/mac and change its settings? Is there a reset button to erase any preloaded setting? And if there is. How can I reset the settings?

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks
goastler (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 09:47:34 PM

I think you've got it set up right, but you don't want to go to the router setting page. You need to go to the dedicated blade settings page. The blade works like a router, you access all of its settings through a browser by typing in its IP address (and for the blades through port 8000). So rather than going to the router page you want to go to the blade's page, which is 192.168.1.254:8000. Type that in to your browser and you'll reach the settings. From there you can change it's IP address, port, pool settings, etc...

You sound as if you're still learning about the blade, which is fine, I've only just crossed that bridge, but resetting the blade is a last resort. Read some more forum posts on here, even search for stuff, it helped me no end. You can reset the blade by touching the two plates above the ethernet port labelled (You guessed it) "Reset". They're numerically number, touch 2+3 to do a full reset and 1+2 for a partial reset (Retaining your settings). This will bring the blade back to having the default settings, which can be accessed from the default IP address I said above.

You can't access the blade by hooking it up to a computer, you can only access it via IP address like a router.

I think that's what you were after, I'm sorry if it's not, your a tad vague in your question

Smiley
goastler (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 10:09:11 PM

Hell yeah I've got it working. Not sure if its working well though, I think power is still the issue.
https://i.imgur.com/QbEUC0U.png
192.168.1.4 is my computer running the mining proxy, soon to be a raspberry pi. I don't see any place to overclock....

I am worried about a couple of things though, for starters it's not hashing, and the chips are listed as 'x'. That indicates it isn't getting enough power doesn't it, or something more serious?
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 10:29:33 PM

swhat id do is just wait i know you want to play with you toy but is it worth doing it wrong a 100 times and getting pissed off or waiting umtil you get the right equipmet to do it correctly.

the chips not showing could be a bad blade or more likely theres not enough power to power them up
the only other way to do it quickly if you have one around is use a wattage meter and see what it pulls from the socket... also it might be useful when the psu is on stick you ear close to it and see if you can hear any faint buzzing that isnt the fan

mainhybrid

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 10:46:43 PM

I think you've got it set up right, but you don't want to go to the router setting page. You need to go to the dedicated blade settings page. The blade works like a router, you access all of its settings through a browser by typing in its IP address (and for the blades through port 8000). So rather than going to the router page you want to go to the blade's page, which is 192.168.1.254:8000. Type that in to your browser and you'll reach the settings. From there you can change it's IP address, port, pool settings, etc...

You sound as if you're still learning about the blade, which is fine, I've only just crossed that bridge, but resetting the blade is a last resort. Read some more forum posts on here, even search for stuff, it helped me no end. You can reset the blade by touching the two plates above the ethernet port labelled (You guessed it) "Reset". They're numerically number, touch 2+3 to do a full reset and 1+2 for a partial reset (Retaining your settings). This will bring the blade back to having the default settings, which can be accessed from the default IP address I said above.

You can't access the blade by hooking it up to a computer, you can only access it via IP address like a router.

I think that's what you were after, I'm sorry if it's not, your a tad vague in your question

Smiley

Thanks the answer goastler. Let me elaborate more on this.

The blade is already hooked to a router. I was accessing the router page to figure what IP address was assigned by the DHCP server to the blade. But when i got to the router's client list the blade is not listed there (at least that is what it seems). Meaning there's no IP assigned to the blade nor the router is detecting the MAC address from the device.

Now I've tried accessing the following IP addresses (192.168.2.241, 192.168.2.251) but is not finding anything.

Let me remark that this blade is brand new and I'm setting it up from scratch. I don't know if the guy I bought this from set different settings (which pointed me to this forum in the first place).

I really appreciate if you can tell me. Should the subnet be 192.168.2.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx? Maybe that's the issue.

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: