Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:55:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: relativistic effects on bitcoin  (Read 2318 times)
aaronwinborn (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 01:28:12 AM

Has there been any discussion about the effects of relativity on the bitcoin network? Specifically, what will happen in a few years when we are on Mars? How will the network respond to a lag of fifteen minutes or more? What about interstellar distances, assuming that we haven't found a way to violate the laws of physics? Or are bitcoins to be relegated to a local (solar system) phenomenon?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spiral_mind

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:18:20 AM

Each planet could have its own crypto currency. They could be sold on interplanetary exchanges using quantum entanglement to communicate instantly.
riplin

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 04:40:29 PM

Each planet could have its own crypto currency. They could be sold on interplanetary exchanges using quantum entanglement to communicate instantly.

Quantum entanglement does enable instant communication. There are currently no known practical or even theoretically plausible methods to communicate faster than light.
d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 08:35:02 PM

Quantum entanglement does enable instant communication. There are currently no known practical or even theoretically plausible methods to communicate faster than light.
Did you mean *doesn't?
EmperorBob

Activity: 67

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 12:13:40 AM

I love just how many bitcoiners actually spend time thinking about full-scale economies on other planets. I guess we're all optimists.

There's a few ways the economy on Mars would work, given a BTC-based earth economy:

1. For a long time, a Mars colony (or any other distant colony) is essentially run by one organization, or a very small set of them. Just like today's astronauts, the colonists don't need a currency system while up there. Even if they run a local bitcoin node, because their link back to earth is completely controlled by the guys paying them, they can't know if they've been shunted to a different branch or not.

2. If a small Mars economy develops, they can free ride on bitcoin's chain for a long time. That way prices are already known, the infrastructure already exists, and you don't need to run power-hungry mining rigs in a resource-strapped context. The downsides are having to rely on zero-conf being reasonably hard to double spend against, and having to wait an extra 8-48 minutes when actually waiting for confirmations.

3. Once those constraints are too problematic there may be a need to start a mars altcoin, or figure out some clever way to have multiple chains within bitcoin, one for each sufficiently distant system. We have a lot of time to figure that out though.
riplin

Activity: 116

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 12:17:52 AM

Did you mean *doesn't?

Sorry, yes.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 05:42:45 AM

Fail. You cannot communicate instantly  Roll Eyes

behindtext

Activity: 121
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 01:58:16 PM

Fail. You cannot communicate instantly  Roll Eyes
are you trying to tell us that communication doesn't propagate at the speed of nonsense? Smiley

if i can't spend my bitcoins when i'm moving at warp 2 relative to the earth, i think i'll just hold onto my USD.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:17:00 PM

Unfortunately for the initiated, quantum entanglement is a form of instant communication, and it's actually mainstream science. But perhaps it is better described as simultaneous synchronisation of quantum properties; nevertheless, influencing one particle that is in a state of entanglement with another propagates the identical change in state to it's partner. And this could, of course, be used as a form of instantaneous communication. The experiments that proved this go back at least 5 years now, the phenomenon is not even that new.

No-one knows why it works, but it does. The experiments only prove that the state change propagates instantly, not the way in which they do so. I think it may be a while before any meaningful bandwidth of information can be sent, but in principle, instant communication exists in this very limited form.

Vires in numeris
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 11:31:37 PM

Unfortunately for the initiated, quantum entanglement is a form of instant communication, and it's actually mainstream science. But perhaps it is better described as simultaneous synchronisation of quantum properties; nevertheless, influencing one particle that is in a state of entanglement with another propagates the identical change in state to it's partner. And this could, of course, be used as a form of instantaneous communication. The experiments that proved this go back at least 5 years now, the phenomenon is not even that new.

No-one knows why it works, but it does. The experiments only prove that the state change propagates instantly, not the way in which they do so. I think it may be a while before any meaningful bandwidth of information can be sent, but in principle, instant communication exists in this very limited form.

I can't provide the math or all the specifics; all I can say is that I've read from those who work in the field, and according to them, while the entanglement allows instantaneous simultaneous changes in states, it still can't be used for FTL communication. There's a limiting factor that just flat keeps it from working that way.

Thank goodness it doesn't work, though. The universe might unravel if we were able to violate causality like that....

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 02:06:10 AM

Quantum entanglement enabled ftl communication isn't new, but it is false.

This is the clearest explanation I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaecUuEqfc

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 02:11:48 AM

Planets may need their own currencies, but if instant communications are possible then I don't see why they would, they'd be better connected than nodes are right now.

Actually the idea of a separate chain on other planets seems shaky to me. If miners on some planet are a lot faster or more efficient which seems likely then they can double spend or otherwise hassle the lesser for only a the one time fixed time cost of transporting the work. Maybe the lesser ought just accept a delay and/or use processors who settle on the greater planets chain. That should be workable, but I bet something smarter than that arrangement gets invented.

dyseac

Activity: 90

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 11:39:41 AM

I think if we master Quantum Entanglement the security and probability of a SHA256 crypto-currency will be the least of our worries...
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:22:49 PM

Can't you guys read?

Vires in numeris
J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:26:48 PM

Perhaps, but at a whole hour long we could do with a TL;DR summary.

Anyway my understanding (without watching the video yet) was that FTL communication would break way too much physics (allowing both time travel and causality violation). If it were invented the universe would probably instantly disappear in a puff of infinite improbability.

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:36:46 PM

jupiter, mars (?) and saturn are owned by knc/bitcoin  Wink
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 12:44:17 PM

Actually the idea of a separate chain on other planets seems shaky to me. If miners on some planet are a lot faster or more efficient which seems likely then they can double spend or otherwise hassle the lesser for only a the one time fixed time cost of transporting the work. Maybe the lesser ought just accept a delay and/or use processors who settle on the greater planets chain. That should be workable, but I bet something smarter than that arrangement gets invented.
Some form of merged mining will likely be used.

Also, before we see separate chains we'll likely see usage of higher-level instant payment protocols, with actual raw Bitcoin settlement being done rarely.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 07:26:36 PM

Perhaps, but at a whole hour long we could do with a TL;DR summary.

Anyway my understanding (without watching the video yet) was that FTL communication would break way too much physics (allowing both time travel and causality violation). If it were invented the universe would probably instantly disappear in a puff of infinite improbability.

Cliffs: FTL communication is not implied by mainstream science's current understanding of quantum physics.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:46:23 PM

Yes, there have been discussions about these things, specifically Mars.

Tee Hee Hee.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: