Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:58:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I miss the old days.  (Read 2722 times)
MiningBuddy (OP)

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:14:35 PM

I miss how the forum used to be around March-April time, the quality of posting was amazing and the forum really did shine with brilliant technical information.
I can't help but feel as if a truck load of teenagers have jumped on the bandwagon to derail threads and bump their post count with useless crap.

I also feel guilty for the quality of my own posting and have thought many times about killing my account here as to not add to the continual problem.

I want bitcoin to succeed, I really do, its taken over my life the past few months and I cant help but feel angry reading the majority of forum threads now a days.

What can I do myself to make bitcoin succeed and drive the riff raff away?  Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:21:46 PM

Even less than I can, and I havn't had much luck in that department.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:22:18 PM

I miss how the forum used to be around March-April time, the quality of posting was amazing and the forum really did shine with brilliant technical information.
I can't help but feel as if a truck load of teenagers have jumped on the bandwagon to derail threads and bump their post count with useless crap.

I also feel guilty for the quality of my own posting and have thought many times about killing my account here as to not add to the continual problem.

I want bitcoin to succeed, I really do, its taken over my life the past few months and I cant help but feel angry reading the majority of forum threads now a days.

What can I do myself to make bitcoin succeed and drive the riff raff away?  Undecided

It's a good sign actually.

As any technical community grows and/or a technology becomes increasingly adopted, it's inevitable that numbers of non-technical users will increase. I suppose a fix would be to split the forum up, add in some kind of reputation module so that users can uprate those who post with quality. Then have a forum where membership is by invitation only, or automatic on somebody hitting certain reputation mark.

Although this might earn the bitcoin community a snob reputation and work against adoption.

enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:24:34 PM

It's a good sign actually.

As any technical community grows and/or a technology becomes increasingly adopted, it's inevitable that numbers of non-technical users will increase. I suppose a fix would be to split the forum up, add in some kind of reputation module so that users can uprate those who post with quality. Then have a forum where membership is by invitation only, or automatic on somebody hitting certain reputation mark.

Although this might earn the bitcoin community a snob reputation and work against adoption.

Or we could just start a StackExchange for the technicals... Oh wait, we're working on that: http://bit.ly/pt2km3   Grin
Xephan

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:27:50 PM

Or we could just start a StackExchange for the technicals... Oh wait, we're working on that: http://bit.ly/pt2km3   Grin

Which needs some topics to get things going Cheesy
There's been just one new topic since I committed to it a couple of days ago and I'm more of a responding than asking question for the sake of asking kind of person Sad

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:48:10 PM

Me too. I don't know how to fix it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:22:35 PM

Crack down hard on the trolling. This will need more moderators.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:28:10 PM

There's been just one new topic since I committed to it a couple of days ago and I'm more of a responding than asking question for the sake of asking kind of person Sad

You're welcome for the one new topic Wink

Like you, I'm more of a responding than asking sort of person so it's rough to come up with questions.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:00:36 AM

Crack down hard on the trolling. This will need more moderators.

How do users become moderators anyway? And couldn't more moderators make things worse just as easily better?
(The humble questions of someone who missed the good old days)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Xephan

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:01:02 AM

You're welcome for the one new topic Wink

Ah that's not me! That topic started after I joined the stack group Cheesy
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 04:09:04 AM

The Bitcoin Stack Exchange isn't actually open yet.  What we've got right now is a proposal, and we need more users to join before the site will actually launch.  We especially need established Stack Exchange users with 200+ reputation, as that number is lagging.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 05:10:47 AM

The one up side is more people on the forums means more people know about bitcoins.  So you should be glad the forum is full of people!
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 05:50:40 AM

I think the biggest problem is one of information organization, not "trying to bump post count".  There has already been a bit of joking about the fact that the forum has a very short memory.

The reason that there are so many topics and posts is mainly duplication. The thing that the new people generally do is rush to the "Create topic" button to ask one of the 10 most common questions. So make a FAQ (I know there is one on the wiki, that one can be used/extended).

In this case they should be pointed at a FAQ or duplicate topic as quickly as possible. Prevent the thread from becoming a lengthy political argument (especially if it was a technical question in the first place), and simply close it if it does.

Everyone can help with this (except for the closing) not just moderators. The key here is speed. Don't assume people are malignant, they are simply ignorant of everything that went before.

Edit: I also think MiningBuddy would make an excellent moderator

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
max in montreal

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:05:05 AM

I think the biggest problem is one of information organization

+1
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:26:06 AM

Good point. I would support not allowing people to post new topics until they have 100 posts or so.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:32:28 AM

Good point. I would support not allowing people to post new topics until they have 100 posts or so.

That would make for some good policy I think.  Maybe not on all sections of the forum, but a lot of them.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 06:34:47 AM

Yeah, but that wouldn't stop the trolls. AyeYo hasn't created a single topic. (that I could find)

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:38:41 AM

Hm, but that would give people reason to bump their post count on purpose.

IMO we simply need to be more watchful. And there need to be more moderators (that actually respond to "Report to moderator..." clicks). Technical measures won't help I'm afraid. Trolls know their way around they, so they mainly end up hurting people that have a legitimate reason for opening a topic.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Xephan

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:03:00 AM

This won't help. I've been a mod and admin in various forums over the past decade and whenever this tactic is attempted, it just annoys legit users. Importantly everybody especially the spammers/trolls, except the very stupid, quickly figures out how to get around it... by doing the exact thing we don't want: posting nonsense as fast as they can to get past the X post count barrier.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 10:38:39 AM

I think the biggest problem is one of information organization, not "trying to bump post count".  There has already been a bit of joking about the fact that the forum has a very short memory.

The reason that there are so many topics and posts is mainly duplication. The thing that the new people generally do is rush to the "Create topic" button to ask one of the 10 most common questions. So make a FAQ (I know there is one on the wiki, that one can be used/extended).

In this case they should be pointed at a FAQ or duplicate topic as quickly as possible. Prevent the thread from becoming a lengthy political argument (especially if it was a technical question in the first place), and simply close it if it does.

Everyone can help with this (except for the closing) not just moderators. The key here is speed. Don't assume people are malignant, they are simply ignorant of everything that went before.
+10, if I only had more time I would spend so much of it on the wiki...

I think much of the clueless questions/rants can be eliminated with good information on the wiki, linked to in eye-catching stickies in the forum.

Not everyone are in the forum for endless chatter, some just research Bitcoin on their own and have as their first post here a good question, a useful suggestion or an interesting project they've been working on.

More prudent would be a manual vetting system where established users can bestow to newbies posting rights if they see they're making good posts.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: