Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:38:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please don’t run Google Translator to assess Translation Accuracy  (Read 263 times)
Analyst101 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 18

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:39:43 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 02:51:04 AM by Analyst101
Merited by mprep (1), paxmao (1)

If you are a Bounty Manager, please don’t run Google Translator to assess the accuracy of translation.
I work as a Korean translator on my free time. I realized that many ICOs do not bother to have proofreaders for translation works. Of course, it’s up to ICOs to decide but if you are going to proofread it, please don’t run google translator to assess whether the translation is accurate. There’s nothing more frustrating to translators (beside not getting paid) to have somebody arguing the translation work is not right because it’s different from google translators. Google translators are not always accurate and cannot take various factors such as idioms into account.

Thus, if you are serious about the quality of translation, always get a native proofreader. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OriginTrain

Activity: 406
Merit: 174

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 12:14:21 PM

This seems obvious, why would a bounty campaign hire a translator if they trust google translator so much? More the fool them.
Analyst101 (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:48:13 PM

This seems obvious, why would a bounty campaign hire a translator if they trust google translator so much? More the fool them.

Excatly.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 11:38:35 PM

If you are a Bounty Manager, please don’t run Google Translator to assess the accuracy of translation.
I work as a Korean translator on my free time. I realized that many ICOs do not bother to have proofreaders for translation works. Of course, it’s up to ICOs to decide but if you are going to proofread it, please don’t run google translator to assess whether the translation is accurate. There’s nothing more frustrating to translators (beside not getting paid) to have somebody arguing the translation work is not right because it’s different from google translators. Google translators are not always accurate and cannot take various factors such as idioms in to account.

Thus, if you are serious about the quality of translation, always get a native proofreader. Thanks.

Well said. Proofreading is fast and much cheaper than the translation (it requires much less effort). It makes no sense to disallow automated translations and then trying to judge quality with an automated translator.
bryan21

Activity: 75
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:04:38 PM

I work as a Korean translator on my free time. I realized that many ICOs do not bother to have proofreaders for translation works. Of course, it’s up to ICOs to decide but if you are going to proofread it, please don’t run google translator to assess whether the translation is accurate. There’s nothing more frustrating to translators (beside not getting paid) to have somebody arguing the translation work is not right because it’s different from google translators. Google translators are not always accurate and cannot take various factors such as idioms into account.

Yes sometimes the translator is wrong, better use your skills to translate. Is much better you can get correct idioms.
Or you can learn about that language to improve yourself. Another ways you can ask your friends (understood that language) fast and easy ways.
jemarleon

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

Silence

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 04:57:55 PM

Google translators are not always accurate and cannot take various factors such as idioms into account.

You have a point here, even in my native laguage filipino the each full sentence is not accurate, google translate is only good in word per word translation.

Though I igree with your first opinion, I dont think your suggestion can be possible, this suggestion will cost too much expenses to all the bounty campaign, and in addition every trusted bounty managers manage many bounties here in forum I think thats why they use google translate because it is the only reliable source they can use on checking your works.
TrumpD

Activity: 602
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:47:49 AM

I think a long of bounty, campaign and ICO managers have realized this. You will see a lot of job opportunities in the service section for translators needed. The fact is that marketing is key in running an ICO, and communication is very important for marketing. So you don't want to confuse your potential investors with the wrong wording or sentence structure...
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 10:08:35 AM

My immediate thought was - If they are too cash strapped to hire a translator, then they may not have the money to pay affiliates. Smiley
orkoso

Activity: 276
Merit: 23

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 12:39:39 AM

My immediate thought was - If they are too cash strapped to hire a translator, then they may not have the money to pay affiliates. Smiley

And you are absolutely right, they normally don´t have money but they do have juicy tokens. This guy is probably translating for bounty, just like I do once in a while, but I am really surprised that he had problems with a client trying to check the translation with Google. At most you may be able to detect if the translator is "on-topic" but never the quality.
Analyst101 (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 11:22:02 AM
Merited by Foxpup (1), Jet Cash (1)

Ok, here are some updates.

It's been over a month since I translated for them, and they still haven't paid (it was supposed to be in token). Based on fork delta, it would be worth 0.14 Ether.
Last week, they were mad when I pointed out that they shouldn't use the google translator to assess the quality of my translation. However, they agreed to pay for the service next week (which would be this week). I mean I already waited for a month, and not surprisingly, they still haven’t paid. Now I am used to not getting paid. If there is a lesson I learned, never work for a project that doesn’t introduce team members to the public. They might not be a scam, but usually they never pay for the service.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2018, 01:10:55 PM

Well just to prove that Bitcoin Talk pays its way, I've given you a merit. Smiley
Analyst101 (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 02:16:55 PM

Well just to prove that Bitcoin Talk pays its way, I've given you a merit. Smiley

Aw thank you. But yes, I should be more careful next time.
MJK_Anfaenger

Activity: 196
Merit: 46

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2018, 07:02:13 PM

It's been over a month since I translated for them, and they still haven't paid

I feel you man, it's so hard to predict sometimes, too, even if you put effort into finding serious-looking projects. Some people just really lack respect for other people's work. I get especially antsy when the original text's English isn't very good and you have to guess what the author was trying to say. If you translate what's in the text, you get nonsense. If you make an educated guess what it should say, you're technically not doing your job right. It's just impossible to win.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: