Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:53:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PROOF that XSPEC is a SCAM  (Read 2519 times)
preshpr1nce (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 60

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 03:06:22 AM

Code 1.4 doesn't exist. jbg is going to announce in next days that he is leaving his project because he is forced to do so.

New member. Literally joined today. Posted this single message, which is complete made up bullshit. Please no more pretending there isn't a calculated FUD campaign in play.

So a new member can discredit my post now can they? I'm not sure how he would know about the developer leaving, but his first comment is right, Code 1.4 doesn't exist.

Now lets take a look at your CommunityWhale, 38 posts, 37 relating to XSPEC, you have a couple relating to Spectre.ai but that is more complaining about their choice of name, so I'll consider these XSPEC posts too, you are 100% an XSPEC shill.

This is no FUD campaign, if you want to know why I did this, you guys pushed the shilling too far causing me to look in to things, now that I have the answers, I'm doing what most other people would, share it with the community!

Sorry if that's too hard for you to understand.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CommunityWhale

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 03:32:29 AM

Code 1.4 doesn't exist. jbg is going to announce in next days that he is leaving his project because he is forced to do so.

New member. Literally joined today. Posted this single message, which is complete made up bullshit. Please no more pretending there isn't a calculated FUD campaign in play.

So a new member can discredit my post now can they? I'm not sure how he would know about the developer leaving, but his first comment is right, Code 1.4 doesn't exist.

Now lets take a look at your CommunityWhale, 38 posts, 37 relating to XSPEC, you have a couple relating to Spectre.ai but that is more complaining about their choice of name, so I'll consider these XSPEC posts too, you are 100% an XSPEC shill.

This is no FUD campaign, if you want to know why I did this, you guys pushed the shilling too far causing me to look in to things, now that I have the answers, I'm doing what most other people would, share it with the community!

I totally don't care what you think about my account. I've been a member since 2014, but my name was Doge related so I dropped it. Who cares? I'm not trying to score points to get Deep Onion airdrops and shill points for bounties so I don't care how old my current "name" is or if I have Bitcointalk Emperor Wizard Cowboy status or whatever. I don't hang out here that much anymore, as you pointed out.  And absolutely YES, the new member thing for just today for just one post is suspicious as hell, of course. I mean, of course, my man.

Please re-read my previous posts where I clearly state I will address only what I know, which I clearly state is not your code assessment, but there are other, glaring untruths happening in this thread that should be addressed. If you can't back up claims other than yours, simply do not defend them. Then you won't look like you are trying to be deceitful.

As far as the code, I have seen the Slack and Discord channels busy for a year with discussions including the dev about all kinds of aspects of the code I have no understanding of, so I'm hoping someone from those discussions will shed some light on it from another perspective.

preshpr1nce (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 03:41:03 AM

I totally don't care what you think about my account. I've been a member since 2014, but my name was Doge related so I dropped it. Who cares? I'm not trying to score points to get Deep Onion airdrops and shill points for bounties so I don't care how old my current "name" is or if I have Bitcointalk Emperor Wizard Cowboy status or whatever. I don't hang out here that much anymore, as you pointed out.  And absolutely YES, the new member thing for just today for just one post is suspicious as hell, of course. I mean, of course, my man.

Please re-read my previous posts where I clearly state I will address only what I know, which I clearly state is not your code assessment, but there are other, glaring untruths happening in this thread that should be addressed. If you can't back up claims other than yours, simply do not defend them. Then you won't look like you are trying to be deceitful.

As far as the code, I have seen the Slack and Discord channels busy for a year with discussions including the dev about all kinds of aspects of the code I have no understanding of, so I'm hoping someone from those discussions will shed some light on it from another perspective.

Perhaps you can't read, I didn't question your time on the forum, just the nature of your posts, I didn't defend a member, I actually stated I'm not sure how he could know such details about the dev announcing he's leaving, I did back up his comment on version 1.4 though.

What's funny is we constantly see 1 day old accounts being made to shill XSPEC, now you're trying to bring down this thread from 1 single person doing the opposite of shilling from a new account? pretty funny isn't it.

And if you are trying to state for 1 second that this person is me, why would it be when on my real account I've got more credibility and have provided much better evidence? Not very logical..

It's fine if you only want to address areas of knowledge, but what you're doing above is taking a post from 1 new member and trying to discredit my findings with this, so expect me to defend myself in this case.
Marttin

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 12:25:11 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 02:49:00 PM by Marttin

How do you guys excpect something BIG from a project what has 1 anonymous developer , no white paper,no progress,no community(only some fanboyz), no marketing,no direction, don't keep promises and have no funds to move forward ?  Roll Eyes

How do you think this project ever get some REAL and big partneships to grow somewhere with these features?

Spectrecoin is a scam joke, we are not in 2016 or 2017 where all the projects with ''good tech'' just grow to 1 billion market cap like 2 years ago,theres a HUGE COMPETITION and spectre doesn't have anything else but promises and hope,it's invisible

Go and check some other competitors/ projects community's and you'll see how fast things are moving  ,trustful teams who's not anonymous and you can talk with them like with your friends,, always get answer very fast from team etc. If you go to spectre discord there's like a rainyday everyday.

I think XSPEC will fail very soon if these things are not changing now, if someone says only tech matters , then it shouldn't be there where it is at the moment.

jacaf01

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 01:01:02 PM

If my memory serve me right, Spectre project was a fork of Shadow cash, I don't think the team denied this and there is no wrong having a fork of another project, but what gives me concern is the noise around the project this year because I know Shadow cash project has been allowed to die and the team has moved on to particle project, there must be a reason for this

|
|
QRX|
|
QURREX - QRXTest MVP |Source
www.qurrex.com

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
preshpr1nce (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 01:24:11 PM

If my memory serve me right, Spectre project was a fork of Shadow cash, I don't think the team denied this and there is no wrong having a fork of another project, but what gives me concern is the noise around the project this year because I know Shadow cash project has been allowed to die and the team has moved on to particle project, there must be a reason for this

Like I've said to others, this is the smallest nitpicking that could be done on my post.
The whole idea of this thread is to show over 1 year near no work has been done, also the lies about the developer are more important things to take in.

I knew when I wrote about the forking side people would focus on this and not the actual fact findings in my posts.. I almost left it out, but it was needed to explain the code changes.

I understand the idea of forking a coin well, been successful projects from forks but this is not one.
bbacardi

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 02:14:25 PM

I am so glad that some idiot bought all my XSPEC last month for 0,00040 BTC at livecoin. Grin
pugi2

Activity: 286
Merit: 31

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 02:21:42 PM

You did a fantastic job dude.
I totally agree with you and xpec is scam for me too. Also they are trying to get some money from spectre.ai investers cause of name.

Why do they ask for money feom spectre.ai investor? If its true no matter what the reason and i am sure that they are scam.
So people who read this hope you can find out by yourself the real news and take action as you need based on your research. This specially for xpec investor.
puremage111

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 04:28:54 PM

So we've all been seeing a lot of hype around XSPEC on this forum, some members claiming it's a scam, others calling for proof, I've put this together to give my take as a senior software developer on what I feel proves it.

First off, a member on here under the name gunner833 found some interesting points about the xspec developer, you can view these findings here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2839833.0

2 key points from this thread, the developer is in his 20s yet has claimed to have 20+ years experience, the developer also owned a bar for 2 years which wen't bankrupt, leaving him with $90,000 in tax debt... you can read his thread for more details, you can also see the shills claiming this isn't a big deal or just a small white lie, make your own mind up on this.

Now putting that aside, let's look at what xspec actually is:
It's a complete mirror copy of Shadow Cash and the Umbra wallet, they've changed some colours and the logo/name from the Umbra source code, picture below gives an idea

Shadow Cash is a dead project, initially XSPEC made no claims of their coin being a fork of this project, they've been called out for this and admit it is, but claim they're making improvements to ring signatures and have added obfs4 to the project.

Doing a bit more digging, I wanted to see what these improvement claims were and also wanted to see how they've implemented obfs4 to their coin, I was very shocked with what I found, even for what I consider a scam project they've done such little work it blows my mind.

Now remember, XSPEC is open source and their project is on github, you can view the full commit history of the project which also proves they only have 1 developer for any one questioning this, here is what I found by going through their code commits:

1. The "ehancements" made to ring signatures:
Here is a code snippet of the only changes in their source code relating to ring signatures, here is the original code from Shadow Cash

if (!wallet->AddAnonInputs(RING_SIG_2,

This bit of code uses a ring size of 2 in shadow cash, now let's look at the "enhancements" made by Spectrecoin

if (!wallet->AddAnonInputs(nRingSize == 1 ? RING_SIG_1 : RING_SIG_2,

So what we have here for those who can't read code, "if value of nRingSize is equal to 1 then use a ring size of 1 other wise use a ring size of 2"
So what has changed? pretty well nothing, they've allowed for a ring size of 1 which is a bad move, a ring size of 2 is stronger than a ring size of 1, Monero has a minimal ring size of 5 I believe.

Here is another code change commit by XSPEC, they've changed this from Shadow Cash

tr("Confirm send coins"), tr("Are you sure you want to send?\nRing size of one is not anonymous, and harms the network.").arg(formatted.join(tr(" and "))), QMessageBox::Yes|QMessageBox::Cancel, QMessageBox::Cancel);

To this

tr("Confirm send coins"), tr("Are you sure you want to send?\nRing size of one is not anonymous.").arg(formatted.join(tr(" and "))), QMessageBox::Yes|QMessageBox::Cancel, QMessageBox::Cancel);

They've removed this message from the warning alert "and harms the network"

So the so called enhancements to ring signatures are anything but, and to me it looks more like an absolute nothing change just for the sake of saying "I've changed it", he's made the anonymity weaker by reducing the ring size, perhaps he views transaction speed marketing as something more important than anonymity on a stealth coin, a smaller ring size = less secure but faster, larger = more secure but slower, this change could of been performed by a very junior developer in a few minutes, yet this downgrade is being pushed as one of the big changes

2. obfs4 implementation:
This is the second biggest point around XSPEC, they've implemented obfs4 which Shadow Cash did not have, you can find open source code online for obfs4 implementation so I wen't digging through the XSPEC code expecting to find this, what I found blew my mind, here is the code snippet which shows you the obfs4 implementation in XSPEC

if (stat("obfs4proxy.exe", &sb) == 0 && sb.st_mode & S_IXUSR) {
      clientTransportPlugin = "obfs4 exec obfs4proxy.exe";
    }
#else
    if ((stat("obfs4proxy", &sb) == 0 && sb.st_mode & S_IXUSR) || !std::system("which obfs4proxy")) {
      clientTransportPlugin = "obfs4 exec obfs4proxy";

To sum up what this small block of code does, it executes the obfs4proxy.exe process, there is absolutely no code in XSPEC for the obfs4 other than executing an exe file, now let's take a look where this .exe file came from

\Tor Browser\Browser\Tor\Pluggable Transports\obfs4proxy.exe

So if you install TOR on your computer, you'll find the obfs4proxy.exe file in the TOR Pluggable Transports folder, so this great obfs4 implentation by XSPEC is nothing more than taking an executable file from TOR which runs along with the wallet, just like it does the TOR browser

That alone is enough to prove to me this is a very very shady project, so I've dug through pretty well all of their commits to see if they've actually done any work over the last year, extremely surprised no one has brought this up yet, but their changes are as follow:

1. Changing wallet colour, version numbers, the name and logo
2. Upgrading to newer versions of libraries
3. Executing the TOR obfs4 executable
4. Allowing for an insecure ring size of 1

All up the above changes are less than a days work for even a mid level developer, the interesting part of going through their commits is there are actually examples of nothing commits, cutting code, moving it up a few lines and recommitting just to increment the number of changes shown on GitHub.

The biggest body of work they've done is their donation platform and website.. very shady if you've got time to setup a donation platform but do no work on the actual coin.

Also the developer has made claims of big things coming in Feb, here we are in March and we see no changes on Github, no new version, no changes, just the prior things I've listed above.

The other concerning thing is the poor spread on this coin, you can view it's richlist and see the top 10 hold over 30% of XSPEC and the top 20 hold over 40%.

We will see shills in here trying to pick at the most minor detail of this post, but let me just start off by asking for some one to explain the above code findings? If you've come here to defend this coin then realise the code findings are what this thread is mostly about, so I want to see some points around that rather than the typical garbage from the XSPEC shills.

Waoh you did a numerous and awesome research there
To be honest, i am once a fan and a believer in Spectrecoin, as the community is not toxic, devs is very active in the slack

However i sold it after that because i need cash urgently and hence, i never follow on the project anymore
The last update i knew were the obs4 thinggy.
I am not a technical people hence i don't know how to read code but their wallet is good when the time i use as it can stake, where staking is the only function i use

For the distribution, i think the ICO distribution is abit skewed but because minor people invest in it, that causes most of the XPSEC is HODL by few person
mandica

Activity: 693
Merit: 508

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 06:12:25 PM
Merited by HippiePyro (2), pvk444 (2), oneofakind (1), sirsplashalot (1), LuckySpectrecoin (1), Salfuk (1)

Just to clear up a few things. (I'm @mandica, the founder of XSPEC and still here for anyone new to this)

All the discussions about code snippets and code cloning and implementation of protocols is a bit stagnate. This is the nature of open source development. There is no secret (and never was) that XSPEC was build on SDC. XSPEC never claimed to be proprietary code and is based on Bitcoin in the end as many others are. This point has been laboured ad nauseam and if your objection to a crypto is based on it's Bitcoin / SDC / Monero code provenance then you will seek out other projects. The fact that XSPEC is open source and based on other open source code is not a basis on which to claim a scam if you are a thinking person.

@jbg and Bryce are working on the code and as you all know, not every update is shown on GitHub immediately. GitHub is a not a live window to follow updates. Nobody as forced anyone out and in fact Spectre has very dedicated community and in fact, I would suggest that a dedicated community is what will succeed in driving this forward. XSPEC now also have steady development funding and will hire. The community will make sure that XSPEC will last for years to come and with a solid dev fund we will have the resources to develop the project. The team is together and strong and nobody has left for anything else. I am working on something auxiliary that will benefit XSPEC in the long run but can't say anything right now.

XSPEC is not a scam, we are just trying to provide a quality functional privacy focused cryptocurrency against a tide of FUD and shit and we will succeed. I have nothing more to say and there is nothing to discuss. Adversity brings out the best in us. Discard XSPEC at your peril.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 06:57:36 PM

I am not a developer but consider this: this is open source. If the devs really work on particularly valuable features it would make sense for them, to NOT put it on github unless finished.

When it is on Github, even in unfinished/early version, every other competitor could steal it and complete it themselves. If I was workign on a project like that, I would keep everything local until completely finished, e.g. delay uploading into Github until the last possible moment.

This still not explains why so little code work was published until now (according to OP), though.

I am not concerned about the SC copy, but the relatively modest changes are. I wish you would address all the points OP makes, not just the SC fork (e.g. ring size, starting but not using obfs4.exe and so on).

XSPEC now also have steady development funding and will hire. The community will make sure that XSPEC will last for years to come and with a solid dev fund we will have the resources to develop the project. The team is together and strong and nobody has left for anything else. I am working on something auxiliary that will benefit XSPEC in the long run but can't say anything right now.

That is extremely bullish if true.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
rudolfaxl
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 07:33:09 PM

Your scam evidences is very weak. It looks like a dirty fight with competitors. It seems to me that Xspec is one of the most powerful projects in 2018. But ofc I could be wrong.
oneofakind

Activity: 840
Merit: 140

www.aion.network

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 07:57:42 PM

It's so obvious that this is a coordinated FUD-Campaign by some silly kids, my 98 old grandmother would twig it. Roll Eyes
But thanks anyway, I bought much more XSPEC.

Special thanks to @mandica for everything.

gunner833

Activity: 73
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 08:03:34 PM

Just to clear up a few things. (I'm @mandica, the founder of XSPEC and still here for anyone new to this)

All the discussions about code snippets and code cloning and implementation of protocols is a bit stagnate. This is the nature of open source development. There is no secret (and never was) that XSPEC was build on SDC. XSPEC never claimed to be proprietary code and is based on Bitcoin in the end as many others are. This point has been laboured ad nauseam and if your objection to a crypto is based on it's Bitcoin / SDC / Monero code provenance then you will seek out other projects. The fact that XSPEC is open source and based on other open source code is not a basis on which to claim a scam if you are a thinking person.

@jbg and Bryce are working on the code and as you all know, not every update is shown on GitHub immediately. GitHub is a not a live window to follow updates. Nobody as forced anyone out and in fact Spectre has very dedicated community and in fact, I would suggest that a dedicated community is what will succeed in driving this forward. XSPEC now also have steady development funding and will hire. The community will make sure that XSPEC will last for years to come and with a solid dev fund we will have the resources to develop the project. The team is together and strong and nobody has left for anything else. I am working on something auxiliary that will benefit XSPEC in the long run but can't say anything right now.

XSPEC is not a scam, we are just trying to provide a quality functional privacy focused cryptocurrency against a tide of FUD and shit and we will succeed. I have nothing more to say and there is nothing to discuss. Adversity brings out the best in us. Discard XSPEC at your peril.

Glad you exumed a BTC account that wasn't active since December. And joined discord asking what's happening and then an hour later write an informed post here. You now only miss a brand new Bryce account and we can start the party. Grin
d0d15

Activity: 60

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 08:05:07 PM

Do you have anything to show us as evidence that two full time developers have actually implemented something besides those few lines of code? I would really love to see it because I stil hold my xspec.

Why have we been told that xspec wallet automatically checks for the Tor connection, and if doesn't find it it tries to use obfs4 obfuscation? One doesn't have to be C or C++ genius to implement this. It is very simple actually.
I could even accept KISS method here, but this would understand transparency, openness, documentation which  explains people how should they use the wallet and obfs4.

Even something in the lines of 'Guys try first if the Tor is working, if not, drop the obfs4 exe to that folder, copy this configuration file to another, restart the wallet and check again.' or even admitting,  telling people 'some issues have appeared, it doesn't work like we expected, and we are busy with implementation of 1.4 wallet.'

So:
obfs4 doesn't work as we have been told.
Automatically adjusted ring size was promised for 1.3.5 and on official site it is stayed that it has been implemented with 1.3.5.
1.4 code was supposed to be uploaded to github month ago.

I would be 100% ok with the project if jbg or someone address and fix these issues.

Under assumption 1.4 is far away from being implemented (bugs don't matter), I would stil be ok, but in this case you have to explain to the community why did you collect donations, and claimed two devs are working full time, because we don't see the results of this work? Please refer to the code they implemented?
cryptomorphines

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 08:09:33 PM

This what i have been waiting for a good debate to clear things up,the founder of the xspec has spoke,will this post be the reason why would the people who are holding XSPEC to dump this coin?we need some solid evidences in each sides so the community will learn something new about the coin we are debating to,i have bookmarked this thread so that there will some action in this forum.

d0d15

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 08:24:59 PM

@mandica,

you have paid some nice amount of coins to the first group of developers for not really impressive amount of work. They forked code, changed name, disabled a feature or two in the GUI of the wallet. If we consider time needed to study the code, I would estimate one person, average developer didn't need more than 5 days (Time to squash a bug or two, and to fix some configurations issues with development tools included.). I have heard that approximate value of coins they received was around 20 000 $. Is this true? That are four - five excelent month salaries for a senior software eng. in western EU, for only  few days of work. Are developers in this branch of work so scarse (real question, no sarcasm.)?
d0d15

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 08:37:44 PM

How do you guys excpect something BIG from a project what has 1 anonymous developer , no white paper,no progress,no community(only some fanboyz), no marketing,no direction, don't keep promises and have no funds to move forward ?  Roll Eyes

How do you think this project ever get some REAL and big partneships to grow somewhere with these features?

Spectrecoin is a scam joke, we are not in 2016 or 2017 where all the projects with ''good tech'' just grow to 1 billion market cap like 2 years ago,theres a HUGE COMPETITION and spectre doesn't have anything else but promises and hope,it's invisible

Go and check some other competitors/ projects community's and you'll see how fast things are moving  ,trustful teams who's not anonymous and you can talk with them like with your friends,, always get answer very fast from team etc. If you go to spectre discord there's like a rainyday everyday.

I think XSPEC will fail very soon if these things are not changing now, if someone says only tech matters , then it shouldn't be there where it is at the moment.

Which other serious competitors? Those serious competitors are much worse, just for the fact they invest incredible amount of resource to mislead the people, instead of using the resources properly. That smells on high class professional scam, they understand human psychology an know what will bring amounts of money, in much shorter period of time.

Besides obvious scam projects there are also projects with serious issues. These are maybe not scam, but what you said about hope applies here. All Z* coins implemented zero knowledge proof and are now waiting on solution which won't require trusted setup.

Verge, DO? Give me a break.

I am aware of Monero, and can assume there is a project or two I somehow missed, so no the real competition almost don't exist.

XSPEC is the only project I am aware of with proper Tor implementation! No other project with optional Tor cannot provide this, because they are depended on exit nodes.
muvie

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 08:44:07 PM

As far as I know they added new devs to the team and the main dev works full time for the project since around one year.

It would be nice to know some technical details about the stealth staking feature.
cryptolous

Activity: 3
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 09:08:36 PM

I want to give Kudos to OP for showing some actual evidence for his claims (something that the "this-is-not-a-scam" voices fail to do!). It's rational, well written and credible!

HOWEVER: After taking a look at the repository myself, I do find the OP's claims to be exaggerated (while not baseless). I wrote down my more detailed analysis here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3065979.0
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: