Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:09:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Namecoins is now 2x more profitable than Bitcoins  (Read 55237 times)
nebiki

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 02:30:34 PM

sup? Smiley

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y
|    TWITTER    |   TELEGRAM   |    DISCORD    |
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
JOIN NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Iyeman

Activity: 1183
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:25:19 PM

as soon as the diff rises in 2 days, the theoretical exchange rate would be at 0.0556 (http://dot-bit.org/tools/nextDifficulty.php). even if it doesn't rise that much, you could probably still make profit when you buy now as much as you can and then wait 2-3 weeks to sell.

or the price drops again and you loose a couple of btc Wink

Yeah the key will be keeping everyone mining and NOT selling until it goes to .0556 or higher...Don't stop mining just because the market hasn't adjusted yet.

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀
█████                   ▄██▀
▀████▄       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
 ▀
█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
billionair
A TOKEN POWERED RAFFLE PLATFORM
IN THE BSC ECOSYSTEM
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
███▀ ████████████ ▀████
██  ██████▀▀▀██  █  ███
██  ████▀ ███ ▀███  ███
██  ███▀ █████ ▀██  ███
██  ███▄ █████ ▄██  ███
██  █████ ▀▀▀ ████  ███
██  ██████████████  ███
███▄ ████████████ ▄████
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▄███████▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄
█████▀  ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄▄  ▀███████
█████  ▀▀▀              ▀▀▀  █████
███                            ███
██                              ██
██        ████      ████        ██
█        ██████    ██████        █
█         ████      ████         █
█                                █
█      ▀▄▄              ▄▄▀      █
██▄      ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀      ▄██
███▄▄      ██████████      ▄▄█████
███████▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄█████████
JOIN AIRDROP
pennytrader

Activity: 254

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:41:45 PM

The exchange rate has little to do with the difficulty (as proven by the recent USD/BTC exchange rate). The difficulty (or the difficulty change more accurately) will somehow affected by the exchange rate though. Looking at the historical data, it seems namecoin used to traded at 0.1BTC.

please donate to 1P3m2resGCP2o2sFX324DP1mfqHgGPA8BL
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:45:52 PM

subsidize a 2 day profit bonanza for people who mine in 2 days what you will mine in the following 40

have you seen future predictions of the next difficulty.. it is going to take them 80 days to kill that beast.

The exchange rate has little to do with the difficulty (as proven by the recent USD/BTC exchange rate

you cant mine dollars.  The point of the price reaching parity is miners going back and forth until it does.

Price isnt reflecting the current difficulty as the current difficulty will only last days.. the price is reflecting futures.. and it looks like the difficulty will rise greatly in a couple of days.

IMO anyways

mooo for rent
Iyeman

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:57:06 PM

The exchange rate has little to do with the difficulty

But it does have to do with weather people stay here mining or go back to Bitcoins.  which is related to difficulty and the price they can sell what they mine immediately to the exchange.

(as proven by the recent USD/BTC exchange rate)
You can't use the same comparison, the USD/BTC exchange rate has little effect on the NMC/BTC exchange rate.

The higher difficulty in nmc means that the price HAS to go up for miners to continue mining NMC or they will switch back to BTC to "profit" in the shirt term.

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████                   ▄██▀
▀████▄       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
 ▀
█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
billionair
A TOKEN POWERED RAFFLE PLATFORM
IN THE BSC ECOSYSTEM
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
███▀ ████████████ ▀████
██  ██████▀▀▀██  █  ███
██  ████▀ ███ ▀███  ███
██  ███▀ █████ ▀██  ███
██  ███▄ █████ ▄██  ███
██  █████ ▀▀▀ ████  ███
██  ██████████████  ███
███▄ ████████████ ▄████
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▄███████▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄
█████▀  ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄▄  ▀███████
█████  ▀▀▀              ▀▀▀  █████
███                            ███
██                              ██
██        ████      ████        ██
█        ██████    ██████        █
█         ████      ████         █
█                                █
█      ▀▄▄              ▄▄▀      █
██▄      ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀      ▄██
███▄▄      ██████████      ▄▄█████
███████▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄█████████
JOIN AIRDROP
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:02:15 PM

subsidize a 2 day profit bonanza for people who mine in 2 days what you will mine in the following 40

have you seen future predictions of the next difficulty.. it is going to take them 80 days to kill that beast.

The exchange rate has little to do with the difficulty (as proven by the recent USD/BTC exchange rate

you cant mine dollars.  The point of the price reaching parity is miners going back and forth until it does.

Price isnt reflecting the current difficulty as the current difficulty will only last days.. the price is reflecting futures.. and it looks like the difficulty will rise greatly in a couple of days.

IMO anyways

It won't take 80 days. The difficulty can only go up 4x. Get educated. Go to school. Don't do drugs.
talldude

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:15:32 PM

IMO anyways

It won't take 80 days. The difficulty can only go up 4x. Get educated. Go to school. Don't do drugs.

It took nearly a month to finish out difficulty ~50k...if the same thing happens, it's going to take almost double that, or worst case, more people leave than before and it'll take even longer. This will essentially create a NMC shortage during the next difficulty cycle which should cause an increase in the price of NMC.
miningnew

Activity: 854
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:18:16 PM

I am mining namecoin on https://poolmunity.com and it shows me

Estimated earnings:0.58554149

Can this be right Oo??? I am mining with 1,1 Ghash the calculator shows me i am supposed to get 46 a day.
pennytrader

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:19:04 PM

you cant mine dollars.  The point of the price reaching parity is miners going back and forth until it does.

IMO anyways

It took nearly a month to finish out difficulty ~50k...if the same thing happens, it's going to take almost double that, or worst case, more people leave than before and it'll take even longer. This will essentially create a NMC shortage during the next difficulty cycle which should cause an increase in the price of NMC.

totally false logic. Why did the price drop when the difficulty at 50K then? As you said, it took a month so it created a namecoin shortage as well.

talldude

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:27:46 PM

totally false logic. Why did the price drop when the difficulty at 50K then? As you said, it took a month so it created a namecoin shortage as well.

There's two parts to price, supply and demand. Obviously the demand wasn't there, so the price lagged parity with BTC, so people left NMC mining for BTC mining.

Also, you'll see that I said *SHOULD* which is based on the assumption that demand won't fall (probably should have stated this assumption). It's the future, it's uncertain - this is my take on it.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:34:42 PM

Been mining NM for approx 18 hrs now @ 640 MHash/s - found zip LOL

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
joker060

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:39:31 PM

Can anyone post a detailed how to on setting up solo mining?

When I start namecoind (on Windows 7) via command prompt it does nothing and says nothing.
pennytrader

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:42:10 PM

There's two parts to price, supply and demand. Obviously the demand wasn't there, so the price lagged parity with BTC, so people left NMC mining for BTC mining.

Also, you'll see that I said *SHOULD* which is based on the assumption that demand won't fall (probably should have stated this assumption). It's the future, it's uncertain - this is my take on it.

Alright, I buy that. Nobody has the cystal ball but I'm continue selling while mining namecoin (and I could regret tomorrow Smiley

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:44:30 PM

When I start namecoind (on Windows 7) via command prompt it does nothing and says nothing.

All you have done is start the solo server. You need to setup a miner too.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
talldude

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:46:08 PM

That's your server window. It will stay blank. Open up a new command prompt to give commands to the server and type in namecoind help for a list of commands.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:50:49 PM

The idea is to keep NMC mining as profitable as BTC mining. If the exchange rate is even slightly (let's say 1%) higher than BTC, you can earn 1% more by mining NMC and selling them - something a LOT of people might do and that would be MUCH cheaper for NMC enthusiasts than mining NMC at a 25-40% loss.

That's the idea but I doubt it will happen. The value of NMC would have to rally past .056 by Sunday. If it ends up short even a little then most miners will go back to Bitcoin and probably end up panic selling their remaining NMC. Then the value will hover below the difficulty rate and we'll have a slow ass cycle yet again.

How long it takes is completely dependent on how much mining power remains after the retarget. It could take 8 days or 800.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2011, 05:13:52 PM

I just made myself a promise:

When difficulty goes up I leave one GPU mining Namecoins (427Mhash/s @ PoolMunity) to keep the network going.
If 1 out of 10 does that, Namecoin might "survive" this increase quickly.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:19:05 PM

I just made myself a promise:

When difficulty goes up I leave one GPU mining Namecoins (427Mhash/s @ PoolMunity) to keep the network going.
If 1 out of 10 does that, Namecoin might "survive" this increase quickly.
Good idea, I'm with you with 350Mhps

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:22:29 PM

The idea is to keep NMC mining as profitable as BTC mining. If the exchange rate is even slightly (let's say 1%) higher than BTC, you can earn 1% more by mining NMC and selling them - something a LOT of people might do and that would be MUCH cheaper for NMC enthusiasts than mining NMC at a 25-40% loss.
That's the idea but I doubt it will happen. The value of NMC would have to rally past .056 by Sunday. If it ends up short even a little then most miners will go back to Bitcoin and probably end up panic selling their remaining NMC. Then the value will hover below the difficulty rate and we'll have a slow ass cycle yet again.
If BTC are worth slightly more, all you need to do is to mine BTC and buy NMC for 0.0557 instead of 0.0556 BTC a piece, as many as possible and untill difficulty changes (most likely up again).

If all NMC enthusiasts do this, they get far more hash rate for NMC by arbitrage miners + far smaller losses than mining NMC directly. It might even induce another speculative upward swing like what's happening right now, where people are buying NMC like crazy in the hopes that they get worth 0.0556 or more, so you could even make real profits by short term subsidizing NMC mining with a fairly small amount of BTC alltogether.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Iyeman

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:42:24 PM

If BTC are worth slightly more, all you need to do is to mine BTC and buy NMC for 0.0557 instead of 0.0556 BTC a piece, as many as possible and untill difficulty changes (most likely up again).

people HAVE to still mine NMC or the difficulty will not change, and the transactions will not process...

What is needed is a blend of people speculating on NMC while mining BTC and people mining NMC to process those transactions and get to the next difficulty change, and while mining NOT sell at a loss, but hold out and drive the price to an equilibrium.  Will this happen? we will see.  Once this boom is over, i myself plan to mine with 1/3rd of my mining power in NMC and the other 2/3's in BTC.  And hope that the merged mining project comes to a point it can be implemented.

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄