Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:09:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Namecoins is now 2x more profitable than Bitcoins  (Read 55237 times)
kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:20:13 PM

Merged mining is the only thing that can save NMC. Unfortunately.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 05:26:39 AM

Which could reduce the value of bitcoin by as much as 50% in the long run.
Bitcoin vs Namecoin, I'd say let NC die as it is. Until the major ISPs or browsers or OSes supports directly running name resolution against a decentralized network, I just don't see NC having much of a value except as an alternative bitcoin supply.

DavinciJ15

Activity: 780
Merit: 510

Bitcoin - helping to end bankster enslavement.

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 06:57:57 AM

Which could reduce the value of bitcoin by as much as 50% in the long run.
Bitcoin vs Namecoin, I'd say let NC die as it is. Until the major ISPs or browsers or OSes supports directly running name resolution against a decentralized network, I just don't see NC having much of a value except as an alternative bitcoin supply.

NameCoin is just another produce in the market like all products that are different item people place their own value in them for various reasons.  NC is not inflation of BTC as it's not BTC thus it's like this copper and silver are like gold and can be used as money but the are not gold.
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 09:05:06 AM

NameCoin is just another produce in the market like all products that are different item people place their own value in them for various reasons.  NC is not inflation of BTC as it's not BTC thus it's like this copper and silver are like gold and can be used as money but the are not gold.

For now yes, but come block 240000, NC will look just like a second supply of BTC.  It's like digging for gold and magically every ounce of gold will also produce an ounce of ruby/sapphire/whatever. Initially they may stay at their respective prices but soon people are going to realize NC is functionally equivalent to BTC and costs the same to produce. It won't matter if the original intention is to use them to purchase domain names.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 07:15:03 PM

For now yes, but come block 240000, NC will look just like a second supply of BTC.  It's like digging for gold and magically every ounce of gold will also produce an ounce of ruby/sapphire/whatever. Initially they may stay at their respective prices but soon people are going to realize NC is functionally equivalent to BTC and costs the same to produce. It won't matter if the original intention is to use them to purchase domain names.

If you really believe this then you will sell all of your BTC for NMC and watch your net value at least quadruple in the coming months after merged mining is implemented.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

talpan

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 09:27:11 PM

If you really believe this then you will sell all of your BTC for NMC and watch your net value at least quadruple in the coming months after merged mining is implemented.

As it seems it could take a while until the planned block 24000 is reached.
The difficulty already fell back to 1/4.
Some strong miners, who believe in namecoin, should join soon with all their power.
mjoz

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 10:18:09 PM

Based on my calculations the current network rate of the namecoin network is only around 65 GHash/sec looking at the number of blocks found in the last 24 hours.  14 blocks in 24 hours means the next difficulty switch is going to be December 6th.

talpan

Activity: 228

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 10:20:37 PM

Based on my calculations the current network rate of the namecoin network is only around 65 GHash/sec looking at the number of blocks found in the last 24 hours.

I look up the current dificulty and estimates at http://dot-bit.org/tools/nextDifficulty.php
mjoz

Activity: 61

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 10:24:37 PM

Based on my calculations the current network rate of the namecoin network is only around 65 GHash/sec looking at the number of blocks found in the last 24 hours.

I look up the current dificulty and estimates at http://dot-bit.org/tools/nextDifficulty.php

I didn't see anything on that page for total network hash rate.  Also I think their numbers are skewed because of the rapid decline in miners after the difficulty switch.
Iyeman

Activity: 1183
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 11:29:19 PM

I didn't see anything on that page for total network hash rate.  Also I think their numbers are skewed because of the rapid decline in miners after the difficulty switch.

There isn't a total hash rate. But it does show what the current "instant" difficulty of the network is (13'586.66) and the next Difficulty change, which has been changing as mining capacity is reduced.  Currently 26/10/2011 06:47 (only 3 months to do what took 3 days last week)

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀
█████                   ▄██▀
▀████▄       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
 ▀
█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
billionair
A TOKEN POWERED RAFFLE PLATFORM
IN THE BSC ECOSYSTEM
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
███▀ ████████████ ▀████
██  ██████▀▀▀██  █  ███
██  ████▀ ███ ▀███  ███
██  ███▀ █████ ▀██  ███
██  ███▄ █████ ▄██  ███
██  █████ ▀▀▀ ████  ███
██  ██████████████  ███
███▄ ████████████ ▄████
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▄███████▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄
█████▀  ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄▄  ▀███████
█████  ▀▀▀              ▀▀▀  █████
███                            ███
██                              ██
██        ████      ████        ██
█        ██████    ██████        █
█         ████      ████         █
█                                █
█      ▀▄▄              ▄▄▀      █
██▄      ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀      ▄██
███▄▄      ██████████      ▄▄█████
███████▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄█████████
▀████████████████████████████████▀
JOIN AIRDROP
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 11:33:45 PM

I am for merged mining but believe that the Namecoin reward for doing merged mining should be reduced by half.

Why?  If namecoin takes off, there should be a legitimate means for someone to mine namecoins if they actually want namecoins for name registration.  It makes sense that someone should have to pay with the Namecoin resource either via CPU or by payment.  Merged mining makes payment the only practical option.  It's awfully peculiar to tell someone, "Namecoin mining is now next to impossible thanks to merged mining with Bitcoin, so if you want some Namecoins, the only way to get them is to buy them from the Bitcoin community."

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Iyeman

Activity: 1183
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:32:26 AM

I am for merged mining but believe that the Namecoin reward for doing merged mining should be reduced by half.

Why?  If namecoin takes off, there should be a legitimate means for someone to mine namecoins if they actually want namecoins for name registration.  It makes sense that someone should have to pay with the Namecoin resource either via CPU or by payment.  Merged mining makes payment the only practical option.  It's awfully peculiar to tell someone, "Namecoin mining is now next to impossible thanks to merged mining with Bitcoin, so if you want some Namecoins, the only way to get them is to buy them from the Bitcoin community."

Or join a pool that does merged mining, when the pool solves a NMC block it would get distributed to the pool like BTC...

also I was thinking tonight, how hard would it be to integrate namecoin .bit domain resolution into the tor network? it just seems like the 2 would go hand in hand.

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀
█████                   ▄██▀
▀████▄       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
 ▀
█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
billionair
A TOKEN POWERED RAFFLE PLATFORM
IN THE BSC ECOSYSTEM
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
███▀ ████████████ ▀████
██  ██████▀▀▀██  █  ███
██  ████▀ ███ ▀███  ███
██  ███▀ █████ ▀██  ███
██  ███▄ █████ ▄██  ███
██  █████ ▀▀▀ ████  ███
██  ██████████████  ███
███▄ ████████████ ▄████
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▄███████▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄
█████▀  ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄▄  ▀███████
█████  ▀▀▀              ▀▀▀  █████
███                            ███
██                              ██
██        ████      ████        ██
█        ██████    ██████        █
█         ████      ████         █
█                                █
█      ▀▄▄              ▄▄▀      █
██▄      ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀      ▄██
███▄▄      ██████████      ▄▄█████
███████▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄█████████
▀████████████████████████████████▀
JOIN AIRDROP
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:34:34 AM

Wow -- Namecoin difficulty won't come back "down to earth" until almost Halloween!

And Lowe's doesn't even have Halloween displays up yet -- and you know how they always put up seasonal stuff way too early...
khamark

Activity: 72

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 08:29:04 PM

ha...who would have guessed that the first post ofthis tread would be in (large) part responsible of the actual NMC situation Tongue
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 09:50:31 PM

ha...who would have guessed that the first post ofthis tread would be in (large) part responsible of the actual NMC situation Tongue
#3, #6, #8, #11, and many others

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 03:33:18 AM

Can you guys open the link "http://www.namecoin.us/downloads.php"? Is it removed?

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
relmeas

Activity: 124

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 06:12:25 AM

shouldn't price rise because of the lower supply of namecoins, which should speed up the mining?

this will be slowed down however by the fact that you need to wait too long for the transactions to confirm Smiley how much blocks per day nowadays, btw?
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:38:56 PM

one of the crazy forks retargets every 2016 blocks or after two weeks without retargeting. what about implementing that for namecoin?
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 03:49:46 PM

shouldn't price rise because of the lower supply of namecoins, which should speed up the mining?

this will be slowed down however by the fact that you need to wait too long for the transactions to confirm Smiley how much blocks per day nowadays, btw?

One of the common fallacies proven false is that price follows difficulty (related to supply). Price follows peoples desire for the currency more or less.

one of the crazy forks retargets every 2016 blocks or after two weeks without retargeting. what about implementing that for namecoin?

Everyone would need to agree to adopting the change to the chain, which is hard at this point.
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:15:10 PM

One of the common fallacies proven false is that price follows difficulty (related to supply). Price follows peoples desire for the currency more or less.

Everyone would need to agree to adopting the change to the chain, which is hard at this point.

there is a forced client upgrade coming, but too late to get into that I guess.  There will be another needed for merged mining probably?  But then,  with merged mining this change probably is no longer needed.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████