Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:26:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DDos sources is GHash.IO and associates  (Read 5050 times)
asically (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:43:41 AM

Now you know.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:52:09 AM

Now you know.

This is a libelist statement, show us the proof.
Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:14:44 AM

I too am interested how you came across this

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:26:32 AM

Wasn't GHash.io a victim of this attack too?   Roll Eyes
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 04:27:39 AM

They must have attacked themselves to cover their tracks.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:29:32 AM

Were they?  They were solving a *ton* of blocks during the attacks.  My understanding is their website went down when all of Cloudflare had a major outage, but the website is just a frontend.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:33:36 AM

Were they?  They were solving a *ton* of blocks during the attacks.  My understanding is their website went down when all of Cloudflare had a major outage, but the website is just a frontend.

I read a few here-say posts that said they were being attacked.  But I don't know if it was fact.

So, is there possibly some truth to this rumor, Eleuthria?
eleuthria
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:35:05 AM

Wasn't GHash.io a victim of this attack too?   Roll Eyes

Were they?  They were solving a *ton* of blocks during the attacks.  My understanding is their website went down when all of Cloudflare had a major outage, but the website is just a frontend.

I read a few here-say posts that said they were being attacked.  But I don't know if it was fact.

There's a little motive, especially for large mining entities, but nothing that points to any culprit.  Innocent until proven guilty, and it's impossible to establish guilt from a DDoS when nobody is trying to take credit/gloating.  Knocking off the largest pool for 24 hours really has minimal impact on difficulty though due to failover pools, so the real motive would be someone that actually *gains* something out of it (another pool).  But in all likelihood, it was neither.

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:11:03 AM

Now you know.

We know something for sure, and it isn't that GHash.io was the source of the DDoS.  Roll Eyes
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 03:48:40 PM

I read a few here-say posts that said they were being attacked.  But I don't know if it was fact.

the ghash.io hosted stuff went down for an hour or so, and my own equipment using the pool went down for about 2-3 hours. So yeah, seems kind of silly to go pointing fingers at the kid who [also] fell off the playground.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 01:56:04 PM

Shocked How do you know, maybe you are the real hacker Smiley

Proof it please !!!

Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 01:58:24 PM

Shocked How do you know, maybe you are the real hacker Smiley

Proof it please !!!

I'm sorry but does it matter? The attack is over. If it turns out ghash.io was behind the attack what would any of you do? nothing. To be quite frank the attack was a plus for the network. BTCguild had far too much of the network hashing power in my opinion

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 05:20:58 PM

To be quite frank the attack was a plus for the network. BTCguild had far too much of the network hashing power in my opinion

Good thing the attack has decreased BTC Guilds overall hashrate.

Too bad your *opinion* doesn't quite square with reality.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Chronikka

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:51:20 AM

To be quite frank the attack was a plus for the network. BTCguild had far too much of the network hashing power in my opinion

Sorry maybe you should read my opinion again. clearly you missed it

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:17:34 AM

I don't think so.  You stated that DDoS'ing BTC Guild was a good thing because you are of the opinion it's hash rate was too high.  The reality is BTC Guild hash rate increased dramatically during the DDoS.

Chronikka

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:22:30 AM

I don't think so.  You stated that DDoS'ing BTC Guild was a good thing because you are of the opinion it's hash rate was too high.  The reality is BTC Guild hash rate increased dramatically during the DDoS.

And the attack is now over. Hash rate is now down at btcguild in terms of its percentage on the network. Like I said...read it again.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:32:31 AM

And the attack is now over. Hash rate is now down at btcguild in terms of its percentage on the network. Like I said...read it again.

OK, lets read it again.

BTCguild had far too much of the network hashing power in my opinion

So your saying now that BTC Guild's portion "of the network hashing power" is just peachy?

At any rate BTC Guild hash rate is accountable to it's miners so therefore much safer for the network.  These other hashing entities are unaccountable to anyone so they can do whatever they want and they are growing very fast.  So if BTC Guild is now a smaller percentage of the network I'm not so sure that's a good thing overall as reputable pools are not taking up that slack.

Chronikka

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:38:13 AM

Reputable? Who cares if its reputable? All it takes is one disgruntled employee or a dedicated hacker to take control of the pool and do whatever they want with that power. Sorry but no pool should have 40% of the network hash power which btcguild has had in recent months. That is more dangerous than a few small pools being "not reputable"

Trongersoll

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:15:53 AM

Reputable? Who cares if its reputable? All it takes is one disgruntled employee or a dedicated hacker to take control of the pool and do whatever they want with that power. Sorry but no pool should have 40% of the network hash power which btcguild has had in recent months. That is more dangerous than a few small pools being "not reputable"

Get real, most of the pools are one man operations. No employees to get disgruntled. Also, no matter what a hacker or anyone else did, it would be countered rather quickly. Everyone would just stop mining for that pool. Instant shutdown. If BTCguild's hashrate is down now as compared to others, it is because the others grew. I doubt that the attack had anything to do with the current size of the pool relative to other mining concerns. Kiss
eleuthria
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:17:38 AM

Except BTC Guild hasn't been 40% for roughly 6 months.  Maybe you should learn more about the actual network hashrate distribution instead of quoting shit from reddit/forums from blockchain.info's 24-hour charts.  BTC Guild was only ONCE above 40%, and that was entirely due to ASICMINER not being setup for solo mining when they first started up.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: