Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 11:00:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: *SCRYPT FPGA* - CryptoIndustries.com - official Bitcointalk thread  (Read 18551 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
c1010010

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:54:18 PM

i doubt these fpgas will beat undervolted 7970 by much at all, maybe some weak amount like 30% and yet cost 3x the price. Not worth it.

Agreed.

The whole point of SCRYPT was to hardware proof against ASICS.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:01:36 PM

i doubt these fpgas will beat undervolted 7970 by much at all, maybe some weak amount like 30% and yet cost 3x the price. Not worth it.

Agreed.

Which is ridiculous because asic's can mine scrypt too. The reason people say scrypt is "asic proof" is because the scrypt algorithm requires a good deal of high speed memory which most asic's don't have. A dedicated individual or company could produce an asic based scrypt miner if they design it to provide sufficient memory. We are years away from that most likely. The asic market is just kicking off with bitcoin so don't expect to see scrypt fpga's or asic's for some time

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
dragon695

Activity: 449
Merit: 103

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:10:58 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2013, 11:22:17 PM by dragon695

Agreed.

Which is ridiculous because asic's can mine scrypt too. The reason people say scrypt is "asic proof" is because the scrypt algorithm requires a good deal of high speed memory which most asic's don't have. A dedicated individual or company could produce an asic based scrypt miner if they design it to provide sufficient memory. We are years away from that most likely. The asic market is just kicking off with bitcoin so don't expect to see scrypt fpga's or asic's for some time
Providing sufficient memory that can be accessed in a timely manner is what makes GPUs cost the price they do. Also, as you increased memory, your savings on power consumption diminish. The problem isn't that you can't mine scrypt with ASICs, the problem is that the efficiency gains of doing so are negligable at best, subpar at worst. People lucked out with SHA256, ASICs could be designed that gave significant efficiency gain. If you check out the FPGA situation, it really isn't looking promising.

iBid     ▐     Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain    (    About us    Telegram   )
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬             AN  AUCTION    ❱   All auctions start at     $0

[  ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store  ]   ██ SIGN UP ██        with no minimum reserve
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:39:17 AM

Agreed.

Providing sufficient memory that can be accessed in a timely manner is what makes GPUs cost the price they do. Also, as you increased memory, your savings on power consumption diminish. The problem isn't that you can't mine scrypt with ASICs, the problem is that the efficiency gains of doing so are negligable at best, subpar at worst. People lucked out with SHA256, ASICs could be designed that gave significant efficiency gain. If you check out the FPGA situation, it really isn't looking promising.

I agree which is why I said we are years away. Somebody will build one when parts are less expensive and easier to come by. Let sha256 establish the market for newer, mass produced asic technologies like it has been doing, and in a few years a scrypt fpga/asic is more probable. In the meantime this is an interesting project Smiley

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 12:55:35 PM

some information regarding the recent q&a with The Koolio Smiley

http://majesti.co/cryptonerd/crypto-industries-qa-about-their-scrypt-fpga/
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 01:40:52 PM

Well, once they are done with the current design, they will surely increase it furthermore like making it more energy efficient, cheaper and hash faster.

BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:26:33 PM

Koolio said....

~BCX~

nightengale

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 02:29:32 PM

Will you accept escrowed funds for purchases?
PrintMule

Activity: 980

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:21:08 PM

But... but...

Blasphemy!

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 10:55:32 PM

So they are putting some kind of "it is our machine not your machine" crap on it to prevent it mining coins they do not "authorize" or something like that Huh

Taking a percent too, maybe? Maybe forcing you to have to use their pools thus not be able to mine coins they choose not to support Huh

TL;DR How the heck do they plan to prevent people using them to mine whatever coins the user chooses to mine, and WHY Huh

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
6strings

Activity: 441

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:01:20 PM

Seriously? Is any of this actually the case?
I was honestly planning on picking one of these up(assuming price was right) but certainly wont if any of the above is true.
nightengale

Activity: 574

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 12:28:30 AM

Seems like you're trolling a bit, I didn't read that stuff in the article nor did I anywhere else.

I actually received a personal response on my inquiry about escrow -- a nice touch. I'll be watching this one.
int3ractivodular

Activity: 280

TECHNOLOGY, BABY!

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:22:26 AM

Seems like you're trolling a bit, I didn't read that stuff in the article nor did I anywhere else.

I actually received a personal response on my inquiry about escrow -- a nice touch. I'll be watching this one.

If escrow is accepted that's definitely a good thing, but if they actually plan on limiting customers to only certain coins, LOL NOPE.  Roll Eyes
narousberg
Legendary

Activity: 1749
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:45:44 PM

awaiting prices

I AM NOT SELL MY BITCOINTALK ACCOUNT !!!
Totscha

Activity: 1276
Merit: 622

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:52:16 AM

Since nobody wants to tell anything about prices, I'll give you my very (repeat: very) rough estimate.

Frist thing. We know they will be using Atrix-7 200T in a 1156 pin package FPGA. Motaboy (the designer) says they have 104 kH/s per chip (theoretical). Reference:  (https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,6211.30.html)

ONE chip costs about 250-300$. For the 1MH/s unit they will need at least 10 chips, 12 more likely. We are at $3500 now.

We don't know much about the other hardware (case, boards, RAM, PSU), but it could be done for about $500. So about $4000 / MH/s.

A 2 MH/s GPU rig will set you back about $2000.

Basicaly their FPGA will give 4x LESS hash power per $ investment. What is interesting is the lower power consumption.

Profitability at current Litecoin diff prices, etc:
GPU (2MH/s, $2000, 1000W, 0,15/kWh): break even in 218.90 Day(s)
FPGA (1MH/s, $4000, 250W, 0,15/kWh): break even in 738.28 Day(s)

So what they need to do is get the chips at at least 50% discount to get even close to GPU mining...
karlb

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 12:07:30 AM

Can we point the device at a pool of our choice or are we restricted to one pool, or a handful of pools?
Simran

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 04:44:53 AM

http://thecryptoblog.com/ask-cryptoindustries-questions/

Basically, Koolio from CryptoIndustries and I have decided on a small event(Should I say that?) where you ask a question in the comments, both Koolio and Motaboy will read them and send me their responses and I will go ahead and make another blog post with the questions and answers!
This event will be from November 25th to December 2nd, and will be answered between the 2nd and the 3rd! Any updates will be made here, so stay posted!

You can ask questions like, “When are the Litecoin FPGAs going to come out?” or possibly “Any plans for a Litecoin ASIC?” and so on. Please keep the questions mature, or they won’t be answered or I will delete them and block you from Disqus.

Be aware that not all questions will be answered, but they will try to answer each one appropriately. If your answer isn’t answered, I will try to host future events where you can ask again!

To ask a question, simply comment below. If you are unable to ask a question using Disqus, please either send me an email using the Contact form above, or comment on the Reddit/BitcoinTalk listing. If all fails, just message me on BTC-e or find me on the IRC.

Let the questioning begin!

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
int3ractivodular

Activity: 280

TECHNOLOGY, BABY!

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:09:14 AM

“When are the Litecoin FPGAs going to come out?” or possibly “Any plans for a Litecoin ASIC?”
sl877

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:05:50 AM

Whats the prices for the 3 miners!
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:20:04 PM

Since nobody wants to tell anything about prices, I'll give you my very (repeat: very) rough estimate.

Frist thing. We know they will be using Atrix-7 200T in a 1156 pin package FPGA. Motaboy (the designer) says they have 104 kH/s per chip (theoretical). Reference:  (https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,6211.30.html)

ONE chip costs about 250-300$. For the 1MH/s unit they will need at least 10 chips, 12 more likely. We are at $3500 now.

We don't know much about the other hardware (case, boards, RAM, PSU), but it could be done for about $500. So about $4000 / MH/s.

A 2 MH/s GPU rig will set you back about $2000.

Basicaly their FPGA will give 4x LESS hash power per $ investment. What is interesting is the lower power consumption.

Profitability at current Litecoin diff prices, etc:
GPU (2MH/s, $2000, 1000W, 0,15/kWh): break even in 218.90 Day(s)
FPGA (1MH/s, $4000, 250W, 0,15/kWh): break even in 738.28 Day(s)

So what they need to do is get the chips at at least 50% discount to get even close to GPU mining...

Thanks for posting.  This must be why there is no competition.  Price doesn't make sense yet.  It'll probably get there.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: